ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DanaMarie
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by DanaMarie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:07 pm

LisaD9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:29 pm
Hello everyone, new here
I am American and have just started the process for FBR. Gathering all of my documentation and was wondering if anyone knows whether I need to obtain Apostille Seals for the required documents. Thank you for any info on this.
Nope! I think that used to be a requirement long ago but by the time I submitted in January 2019 it was no longer. I was added to the FBR in November.

LisaD9999
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by LisaD9999 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:09 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:07 pm
LisaD9999 wrote:
Hello everyone, new here
I am American and have just started the process for FBR. Gathering all of my documentation and was wondering if anyone knows whether I need to obtain Apostille Seals for the required documents. Thank you for any info on this.
Nope! I think that used to be a requirement long ago but by the time I submitted in January 2019 it was no longer. I was added to the FBR in November.
Thank you so much! One less hurdle to overcome :D Congrats on your addition to the Register.

LisaD9999
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by LisaD9999 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:14 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:58 pm
LisaD9999 wrote:
Hello everyone, new here
No,you do not. As long as they are official copies from an issuing government agency. Example: New York City issues it's own birth,marriage & death certificates.NY State issues any outside of NYC. If you get a certificate from the NYC that's fine as it is. I did get one marriage document from the Archives stamped by the county & state apostille but only for my personal desire.
I asked this question too. Even saved the official reply that I did not need to get the apostille.
JGClancy
Thanks so much! The process is a little daunting but I finally located my grandmother’s marriage certificate which is the final document that has eluded me to date.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 pm

[/quote]

Thanks so much! The process is a little daunting but I finally located my grandmother’s marriage certificate which is the final document that has eluded me to date.
[/quote]

Gathering the documents can be the hardest part sometimes.
Other helpful hints:
Remember to keep a copy of everything you send.
Use the same witness for everything and include their business card.(Not many have witnesses have a stamp in USA.)
If any small discrepancies in names or dates include a signed explanation.
Photos should be EU size not USA size.Do NOT attach them to application.
In 9-12 months -about when you expect an address confirmation email-check your email spam bin too.
JGClancy

cdcd2cs2ds
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cdcd2cs2ds » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 pm

This doesn't apply to my situation, but just out of curiosity, does anyone know how a grandparent or parent having renounced their citizenship would affect FBR?
I noticed when filling in the online application that it asked whether they ever renounced their citizenship, but it doesn't say it's a disqualifying factor or anything on the eligibility section for FBR.
But if it doesn't affect the application, why ask in the first place?

CaitieElise
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by CaitieElise » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:52 am

Hi everyone,

My certificate is on its way, I received an email on the 11th February to confirm citizenship and have been tracking it - it left Dublin on the 13th.

I have two questions.

1. Does anyone have a rough idea of how long delivery takes? I have been told around 9 days by Australia Post (depending on how they have posted it), however I have noticed some have been told 3-4 weeks and are based in the UK.

2. Does anyone know how long the delivery takes, once I apply for my passport? And if I will be able to track an estimated delivery time? The consulate closest to me said around 6-8 weeks, however, I will be relocating to the UK, so really need to know estimated dates in advance.

Thanks everyone, this forum has been so helpful!

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 am

DanaMarie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm
tom_bcfc wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 pm
documents received in dublin march 12th 2019
confirmation of address email 31 dec 2019
congratulations email 29 jan 2020 (today) shall receive documents in post in 6 days. such good news considering my last post I had just spoken to someone on the phone who told me it was going to be early march.....

as for passport express, from Liverpool. I sent my girlfriends from Liverpool south john post office on 21st jan. Cost of £81, passport is £70 but they use ann post which is £11. she has received an estimated passport delivery date on her tracking of 24th feb.

so hoping to have both our passports in hand for our trip to Dublin for st patricks day!!

Hope everyone else has some good news soon with there applications. good luck all!
I just checked the tracker today (I've been obsessively checking it every day) and it moved to "Printing" status as of this morning. How's your gf's coming along?
Great news Dana Marie,
You shouldn't be waiting too long now to receive it.

Hi Tom,
Your gf should receive the passport days before the estimate, I sent my documents which were received on the 21st Jan 2020 and passport in hand on the 6th Feb 2020 so in total 16 days. My application was sent tracked via Royal Mail.
Hopefully your FBR comes in the next 6 days and you can get your passport just in time.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:36 am

Lee2521 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 am
DanaMarie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm
tom_bcfc wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 pm
documents received in dublin march 12th 2019
confirmation of address email 31 dec 2019
congratulations email 29 jan 2020 (today) shall receive documents in post in 6 days. such good news considering my last post I had just spoken to someone on the phone who told me it was going to be early march.....

as for passport express, from Liverpool. I sent my girlfriends from Liverpool south john post office on 21st jan. Cost of £81, passport is £70 but they use ann post which is £11. she has received an estimated passport delivery date on her tracking of 24th feb.

so hoping to have both our passports in hand for our trip to Dublin for st patricks day!!

Hope everyone else has some good news soon with there applications. good luck all!
I just checked the tracker today (I've been obsessively checking it every day) and it moved to "Printing" status as of this morning. How's your gf's coming along?
Great news Dana Marie,
You shouldn't be waiting too long now to receive it.

Hi Tom,
Your gf should receive the passport days before the estimate, I sent my documents which were received on the 21st Jan 2020 and passport in hand on the 6th Feb 2020 so in total 16 days. My application was sent tracked via Royal Mail.
Hopefully your FBR comes in the next 6 days and you can get your passport just in time.
I forgot to say that my passport estimate date on the passport tracker was for the 18th Feb but I got it 12 days earlier on the 6th Feb as mentioned above.

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 pm

cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 pm
This doesn't apply to my situation, but just out of curiosity, does anyone know how a grandparent or parent having renounced their citizenship would affect FBR?
I noticed when filling in the online application that it asked whether they ever renounced their citizenship, but it doesn't say it's a disqualifying factor or anything on the eligibility section for FBR.
I’d imagine it’s a deal breaker to be honest.
Otherwise I don’t believe they would ask , imo

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:54 pm

My mum has sent in her 1st time passport application (descent via her Irish dad).

They received her “support/evidence docs” on 7th feb, tracker says estimated issue date is 6th March.

Current status is “processing application”

Does this mean her docs have been checked and OK’d & she is accepted for a passport and the subsequent wait is just general admin time ?

Or, will her application still be pending approval & checks etc ?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 am

MKCG wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 pm
cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 pm
I’d imagine it’s a deal breaker to be honest.
Otherwise I don’t believe they would ask , imo
Just to point out- renouncing loyalty to another country when getting citizenship is NOT renouncing Irish citizenship.So, if your Irish grandparent signed anything renouncing any loyalties to anyone/any country while getting US citizenship (which is standard) it does not mean they've given up their Irish citizenship. In order to give up Irish citizenship you must submit this directly to the Irish government.Other countries, even if they make you swear an oath, can't decide if you are an Irish citizen. Only Ireland decides that.

JGClancy

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 am

MKCG wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:54 pm
My mum has sent in her 1st time passport application (descent via her Irish dad).

They received her “support/evidence docs” on 7th feb, tracker says estimated issue date is 6th March.

Does this mean her docs have been checked and OK’d & she is accepted for a passport and the subsequent wait is just general admin time ?

My passport tracker went from "Processing application" to "Printing", I don't believe there is a status in between those two unless there is an issue so it's hard to say what exactly happens when. They seem to be holding pretty close to the estimated issue dates though.

seanhodges
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seanhodges » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:18 pm

My passport application was received 12th Feb and is now set as 'Processing'. Estimated issue date is 16th March.
My (completely arbitrary) target date of St Patrick's Day (17th March) is looking under threat :(

seanhodges
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seanhodges » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Oops, my mistake. Documents were received today (17th), whereas the application was initiated when I paid the money online

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:35 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 am
MKCG wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:54 pm

My passport tracker went from "Processing application" to "Printing", I don't believe there is a status in between those two unless there is an issue so it's hard to say what exactly happens when. They seem to be holding pretty close to the estimated issue dates though.
Ok, im just keen & interested to know as if/when she is approved, it seems it would make my subsequent fbr application a sure thing (touch wood). I’m waiting on all her relevant certificates coming back with her application so I can reuse them for my FBR app.

Kernzy
Newly Registered
England

Post by Kernzy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am

Got the email to confirm my address today. :D

Application received: March 26th 2019

Mariecws
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Mariecws » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Kernzy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am
Got the email to confirm my address today. :D

Application received: March 26th 2019
woohoo! praying i'm next! App received March 25th!

LA8887
United Kingdom

Post by LA8887 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:53 am

My application was received April 24th, so almost exactly a month later. Means there's a chance I might become Irish on Paddy's Day, which would be cool.

Iamsouthy
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Iamsouthy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:40 pm

So it's been 1 year today (Feb 19, 2019) since Dublin received my application and started processing it. I've received no word and was told 9 to 12 months. I'll be calling tomorrow. I'm in Toronto, so this doesn't make any sense

Mariecws
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Mariecws » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:46 am

Iamsouthy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:40 pm
So it's been 1 year today (Feb 19, 2019) since Dublin received my application and started processing it. I've received no word and was told 9 to 12 months. I'll be calling tomorrow. I'm in Toronto, so this doesn't make any sense
Definitely call, March 2019 applicants are getting approvals now. I'm on the verge of calling too as I haven't heard anything when applicants whose docs were received after mine have. It's only by days though so I'm give it a bit more time...

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Passport received! Just over 12 months from the date I submitted my FBR application, this process has come to an end for me. Wouldn't have made it through without this board. Thanks for the cheerleading and information sharing!

One question - I received my passport but not any of my supporting documents (birth certificate, FBR certificate). I need my FBR certificate to prove the date of my citizenship for the UK govt. How long did it take for everyone else's docs to come back?

EmmaKate
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmmaKate » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:21 pm

Hello All, new poster here :D

I'm applying for my 2 children's FBRs from the UK, the app received email arrived 6th March 2019 so heading for the 1 year mark.

I was wondering if anyone had applied for siblings FBRs at the same time using the same docs and it lengthening the process? It seems that most early March applications have been processed now.

Thanks!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:27 am

DanaMarie wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:13 pm
One question - I received my passport but not any of my supporting documents (birth certificate, FBR certificate). I need my FBR certificate to prove the date of my citizenship for the UK govt. How long did it take for everyone else's docs to come back?
Your profile flag suggests you are in the U.S., which would mean your passport application would have been sent to a consulate in the U.S. . My passport applications went through the San Francisco consulate. I received the passport and the supporting documents at the same time, and all of it was mailed from the consulate. That was more than a year ago. So it's possible something in the process has changed. But if you applied through a consulate, and received your passport from them (not Dublin), I'd suggest you contact them to locate your documents.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 am

PasadenaTom wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:27 am
DanaMarie wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:13 pm
Your profile flag suggests you are in the U.S., which would mean your passport application would have been sent to a consulate in the U.S. . My passport applications went through the San Francisco consulate. I received the passport and the supporting documents at the same time, and all of it was mailed from the consulate. That was more than a year ago. So it's possible something in the process has changed. But if you applied through a consulate, and received your passport from them (not Dublin), I'd suggest you contact them to locate your documents.
Thanks! I need to change that flag! I'm American but live in the UK so I submitted directly to Dublin. I talked to the passport office yesterday and they said that they hold documents for 4 weeks after they've mailed the passport. Whyyyyyyyyyy? I'm wondering if other people have actually waited that long or if there's any chance of my docs showing up sooner.

MKCG
Scotland

Post by MKCG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:14 pm

My mum got a msg on her passport tracker saying there ls an issue with her photo.

Can’t think what it could be, she got it taken by an Irish passport approved photo shop in Glasgow, Jessops. Jessops said it passed on the online Irish passport checker when she bought them, I assume they submit & check before they give you/sell you the photos

Anyone else had an issue with this.
I’ve not heard from my mum yet as to what the email says, as she’s on a cruise. (She told me to check the tracker for her while she’s away)