ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS test- A1 or A2?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

IELTS test- A1 or A2?

Post by couchsurfer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi all,

Just a very quick question relating to which IELTS life skills general training test is actually needed.

My wife is applying for the spouse visa in a few months, I'm from the UK. We were just wondering if she can skip the A1 test and do the A2 test instead, as it can be used later on if she looks to extend her visa after 2.5 year.

Is this likely to cause any problems? Or do applicants have to do the A1 first and then the A2 later? Seems like an easy way to save money if possible of course.

Thanks

Manugmedia
Ethiopia

Re: IELTS test- A1 or A2?

Post by Manugmedia » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:06 pm

If she can, do B1 it can be used all the way to ILR, A2 will only take her upto renewal.

Rgds

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:44 pm

I see, so there isn't a rule stating new applicants have to do A1 first? A2 or B1 are fine ?

Thanks for the reply!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:36 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:01 pm
Hi all,

Just a very quick question relating to which IELTS life skills general training test is actually needed.

My wife is applying for the spouse visa in a few months, I'm from the UK. We were just wondering if she can skip the A1 test and do the A2 test instead, as it can be used later on if she looks to extend her visa after 2.5 year.

Is this likely to cause any problems? Or do applicants have to do the A1 first and then the A2 later? Seems like an easy way to save money if possible of course.

Thanks
A2 test isn't available outside the UK. Therefore, doing B1 will be the only alternative of A1 (if wishes so).
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 am

seagul wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:36 pm
couchsurfer wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks
A2 test isn't available outside the UK. Therefore, doing B1 will be the only alternative of A1 (if wishes so).
Ah right I see that's useful to know. I think she will be here so can do the A2 or B1, I take it doing that instead of A1 (for spouse visa 2.5 years) won't cause any issues?

Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:13 am

couchsurfer wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 am
seagul wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:36 pm
couchsurfer wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks
Ah right I see that's useful to know. I think she will be here so can do the A2 or B1, I take it doing that instead of A1 (for spouse visa 2.5 years) won't cause any issues?

Thanks.
It won't cause any issues. The information provided is to let you know the range of available options and the possibility of saving cost and time down the line. Decisions lies ultimately with sponsor and applicant.

moses2019
Ghana

Post by moses2019 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Good day, I stand to be corrected I think there has been a case where someone used an A2 life skills and it was refused pls, my humble advice is just do as they say and get the A1 done instead of the A2 ,the pain of a recusal is difficult to bear I have been there before. Always cross the bridge when you get there.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:32 pm

moses2019 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 pm
. Always cross the bridge when you get there.
In now a days too many roadside maintenance works so plan your journey beforehand 8)
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

moses2019
Ghana

Post by moses2019 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks f o r the clarification.