ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family application - any one else?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

WaitingPatty
BANNED
Cayman Islands

Family application - any one else?

Post by WaitingPatty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi all,

I've been an avid reader of these forums for years. It's now my turn to hit the panic button and ask for advice and/or experience.

We came over on Ancestry and had no issues getting IDL. Kids were born before we had IDL. They aren't registered in our original country as we only wanted them to have UK citizenship. Likewise, other half and I are renouncing our "old" citizenship and plan to live in the UK. My child is disabled and we live a limited life with this.

We have our own business and we both work for ourselves. We owe HMRC some tax and NI as we have put our heart and soul into our business and into raising our children. We are panicking that my other half, who owes more in tax, will be refused his naturalisation. I couldn't work for any other company without him - my disabled child keeps me as a carer but I'm not registered as a carer because I work for myself.

Would they refuse my children's applications to be registered if they refuse either my partner or me?

Do they let us know at the same time what the decision is? We applied together.

Would they refuse an application for one parent based on an arbitrary definition of "good character" when, as a parent, husband and CEO, he is exemplary?

Thanks for reading, if you've got this far.

Oh. We applied on 15 January. Straight forward applications on here seem to take a month. We know we have a case worker already. But it's the waiting that's driving me bonkers!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Family application - any one else?

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Each person applying must meet the requirements individually and the applications are assessed as such.

If your children are UK born, they have an entitlement to register as British anyway, can't be refused.

If children are not UK born, they qualify only when either parent does and the other holds ilr. Again, all apps are processed individually.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

WaitingPatty
BANNED
Cayman Islands

Post by WaitingPatty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Born in the uk. Never been outside.

Will they assess individually but let us all know at the same time? So if one takes longer, the others have to wait?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:38 pm

UK born children did not require ILR, so hopefully you didn't spend a fortune applying for their ilr.

Each applicant will know when the decision has been made, not necessarily all at the same time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

WaitingPatty
BANNED
Cayman Islands

Post by WaitingPatty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Nope - just applied for their registration as citizens.

Am totally hoping we hear about each one as we know, rather than when all applications have been processed.

The children are under 10. They've never had travel docs so hoping we can go away as a family abroad.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:40 pm

WaitingPatty wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:46 pm
We came over on Ancestry and had no issues getting IDL. Kids were born before we had IDL. They aren't registered in our original country as we only wanted them to have UK citizenship. Likewise, other half and I are renouncing our "old" citizenship and plan to live in the UK. My child is disabled and we live a limited life with this.
I trust you won't be renouncing your British Overseas Territories citizenship until you've registered as British citizens.
CR001 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:00 pm
If your children are UK born, they have an entitlement to register as British anyway, can't be refused.
Technically, once they reach the age of ten, they could be refused on the basis of not being of good character. It is their own character that counts. As they are under ten, they are safe from this bit of law.

WaitingPatty
BANNED
Cayman Islands

Post by WaitingPatty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I saw that about them being 10 and then being refused based on us and started to panic.

It's impossible to give up any citizenship without first replacing it. You cannot make yourself stateless. It's illegal in international law.