ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation after 10 years without PR card

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

petrafin
Newly Registered
France

Naturalisation after 10 years without PR card

Post by petrafin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi,

I am a French citizen and I've been living in the UK for 10 years.

I have recently been granted the EU settled status (in January 2020).

I understand that I need to wait one year (so until January 2021) to apply for British naturalisation if I want to use the EU settled status. But I would like to apply quicker if possible.

So I am thinking to apply to the Permanent Resident status and then use it to submit my Citizenship application.
However I also read that I need to wait one year after I get the PR status.

My question is: if it's been 10 years that I am in the UK, do I really have to wait 1 year after I get the PR card? It doesn't make any sense to me. If I get the PR card, can't I argue that I was already "PR status" automatically after 5 years even if I get my PR card just now?

I didn't know that I needed to wait 1 year after PR card. I thought the PR status was automatic after 5 years and so I could just get the card and apply directly. Isn't it the case?

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation after 10 years without PR card

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Did you exercise treaty rights during your 10 years in the UK? As a worker, student, self-sufficient, self-employed?
You would have acquired PR automatically during a continuous period of five years when you were working, etc., say from 2010 to 2015, and you could specifically request that period in the PR application. In that case you wouldn't have to wait for a year after getting the card.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

petrafin
Newly Registered
France

Post by petrafin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes I worked all the time since 2010 so that's good news then.

But I can't find where I decide which period I want to use for the PR application (online).

Is that part of the documents I have to provide during the appointment? So I can give them only proof for say 2010 to 2015?

Thanks.

AnotherUUID
United Kingdom

Post by AnotherUUID » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:02 pm

petrafin wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:58 pm
Is that part of the documents I have to provide during the appointment? So I can give them only proof for say 2010 to 2015?
Correct. If you apply for DCPR, the decision will be based on the evidence (and the period covered by it that you supply as part of the application.

Thus, if you have relevant evidence of having exercised treaty rights for the period 2010-2015 you could obtain a DCPR and letter stating that you acquired permanent resident status in 2015. This will allow you to apply for naturalisation immediately after receiving your DCPR, provided you meet the (separate) residence requirements for naturalisation.

However, for DCPR be wary of the rules surrounding the comprehensive sickness insurance requirement which came into force in 2011.

petrafin
Newly Registered
France

Post by petrafin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Great, thanks!

Just last question. If I struggle to find bills or work contracts for 2010, can I provide proof for the period 2012 to 2018 for example even if I stated in the application that I arrived to the UK in 2010? They won't ask me for evidence of what I have done between 2010 and 2012?

Thanks.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:42 am

We've not seen evidence of such thoroughness. If they cared about your status in 2010-12, they would check your tax records. Now, when you apply for naturalisation, they may well do such a check as part of the good character check. They would then discover that you were indeed not in breach of the immigration laws.