ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship / Passport advise related

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ersalmehmet
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British Citizenship / Passport advise related

Post by Ersalmehmet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Hello,

I hope someone can advise me please.

My wife currently has indefinite leave to remain in the UK and now wants to apply for British citizenship and a UK Passport.

Our marriage certificate carries her married surname (my surname) but her foreign passport and UK Indefinite leave card carry her maiden name.

Could someone please advise the correct steps to take in order obtain the above documents in her married name.

I am happy to provide further information if needed.

Thank you

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizenship / Passport advise related

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Change her name to the married name on the foreign passport. Then, with that, change it in the ILR. Then when all is consistent, apply for British citizenship.

When you get the British citizenship, apply for passport if you need one.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:23 pm
Change her name to the married name on the foreign passport. Then, with that, change it in the ILR. Then when all is consistent, apply for British citizenship.

When you get the British citizenship, apply for passport if you need one.
No need to change the ILR BRP if applying for citizenship once a new name foreign passport has been issued.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:59 am

Might there not be an issue with not notifying the Home Office of a change of name in the context of the BRP? Could it not be taken as a sign of bad character?