ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for toddler

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Busaxcape
Newly Registered
India

British passport for toddler

Post by Busaxcape » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:45 am

Hi
My 2 year old was born in the UK when I was on a work permit. As we had to travel to India , I had to take an Indian passport and he had to take a dependant visa to reenter the country which expires this month.
In September me and my wife applied for ILR and received ILR but we did not change his visa thinking that if we were to travel to India then we need to go through the route of OCI.
Now on record since his visa has not changed from the dependant visa and ours changed will that be an issue when I apply for naturalisation.
His visa expires by the end of the month.On thinking this through I don't think it would be an issue but with Home office just wanted to get a second opinion if I should take any additional measures.
Any advice is much appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British passport for toddler

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:56 am

Now on record since his visa has not changed from the dependant visa and ours changed will that be an issue when I apply for naturalisation.
No. Note that children are registered not naturalised.

Note also that your subject states British passport. This is separate and after registering a child as British on form MN1 and can only be done once you receive the registration certificate.

Note also that OCI only applies once the child is British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:12 pm

Also, it is not clear if the naturalisation application is for the OP.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:21 pm

Korekt wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:12 pm
Also, it is not clear if the naturalisation application is for the OP.
The clue is in the subject heading referring to a "toddler" and the fact that the op clearly states they got ilr in September last year and does not qualify for citizenship yet!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Busaxcape
Newly Registered
India

Post by Busaxcape » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi everyone thanks for the reply..
Just to clarify :
Son born in 2017 when me and my wife were on Work permit.
Indian passport for son in 2018 and visa as dependant.
Got our ILR in 2019 September but we did not apply for his naturalisation then . So his permit is still based on our previous visa which may ( as I am unsure) have come to an end as I had to notify my employer on my changed status.
His visa expires at the end of the month as per the BRP issued. I have got a UK birth certificate for him and I am assuming that means he is registered.
We had a daughter in October 2019 and she automatically got her british passport as that was her first passport.
Now the question I guess the question is we changed our visa and did not do his naturalisation in the process in September and we are doing it now. Will that be an issue.
Regards
Sree
Last edited by Busaxcape on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:09 pm

No issue!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Busaxcape
Newly Registered
India

Post by Busaxcape » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:10 pm

Wow brilliant.. Thanks for the response.. Appreciate the help.
Regards
BX