ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application questions (Greek person with different name on Greek passport than surname used in UK)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

greekinUK
Newly Registered
Greece

Application questions (Greek person with different name on Greek passport than surname used in UK)

Post by greekinUK » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:42 am

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have been in England for 25 years and finally decided to apply for naturalisation and British passport.

I have past my LITUK tets, I have the permanent residence document (blue) for 3 years now and also EU settled status since 5 April 2019. I am married to a British citizen since 2003, I have a Bachelor's degree and a Masters degree both from a UK University, I meet all requirements, got my referees, filled in the online form but I am scared to press the submit button as I have the usual 'Greek maiden name' issue.

My Greek National I.D. card and my Greek passport have my maiden Greek surname but all other British documentation has my husband’s surname. This is because without knowing at the time I naturally took my husband’s name in England when I got married. In Greece since 1983 all women must keep their maiden name by default when they get married. I am not allowed to change my name in Greece now unless I go through a court hearing which i have no time to do as I live permanently in the UK and all my settled status, permanent residence card and LITUK test are on my maiden surname.

In order to go through naturalisation I need to apply with my name which shows on my passport and ID card therefore I will apply for permanent residence and naturalisation with my maiden name, get a British Passport with my maiden name and then I will also change my name in England to my maiden name by Deed Poll. I can’t use Deed Poll if I am not a British Citizen. This is what the Home Office has advised me to do anyway back in 2016.

Now, I have filled in the online form, I stated that I am also known with my married surname.
Has this been a problem before for anybody? I have asked for a letter from my employer to include both names and prove I have been working for them for 10 years in the UK.

Do I need an immigration adviser?
I was hoping to do the whole thing myself but I am too nervous.
Shall I wait till 5th April 2020 to be 12 months after settled status was granted or shall I apply as the wife of a British citizen? Could this have any disadvantages?

What documents do I need?
It lists exactly this at the end of the form:
1) The passport issued by Greece (ok)
2) Proof of living in the UK (shall I send a letter from my employer and maybe some P60s and bank statements?)
3) Your marriage or civil partnership certificate (ok)
4) The degree certificate to prove the level of English language required (ok)
5) Two referee declarations (in what format? what does it need to say?)
6) proof of Nationality (is a passport enough? I will be using this form of identification for point 1 also)
7) One proof of British citizenship for my husband (I'll photocopy passport)

Do I need to send the Document for proof of permanent residence (blue one)
How do I send the settled status info?

Do I just scan all the above and upload or do they need physical copies as well?

Am I ready to click send???

Apologies for the long post. I am very nervous and just needed to double check everything.

Thank you in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Application questions (Greek person with different name on Greek passport than surname used in UK)

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 pm

No - you just pay for them to fill the form.
Shall I wait till 5th April 2020 to be 12 months after settled status was granted or shall I apply as the wife of a British citizen? Could this have any disadvantages?
If you got PR already for a while you can apply now and as spouse of British citizen anyway, not need to wait 12 months under EU S S.

2) Proof of living in the UK (shall I send a letter from my employer and maybe some P60s and bank statements?)
Just letter (I had one letter from employer covering 10 years)
When you submit you will print off the referee declaration for referees to complete - it's a pre-formatted document.
6) proof of Nationality (is a passport enough? I will be using this form of identification for point 1 also)
It's your passport.

Do I need to send the Document for proof of permanent residence (blue one) It does state "permanent"?
Yes - it's the proof of "free from immigration restrictions" - you upload a copy.
How do I send the settled status info? If you use PR you don't need to use EU S S.

Do I just scan all the above and upload or do they need physical copies as well? Just scan and load, no physical copies required.

Am I ready to click send??? I think you are there but you have to press the button...

Apologies for the long post. I am very nervous and just needed to double check everything.
It's ok - we have all been at this stage. Ask more questions in this thread if necessary.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

greekinUK
Newly Registered
Greece

Re: Application questions (Greek person with different name on Greek passport than surname used in UK)

Post by greekinUK » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:30 pm

Thank you. I'm collecting all my documents and I'll press the button!

greekinUK
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by greekinUK » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:24 pm

Thank you, one more question, the passport photo and the photos I need to attach to the referee declaration pages...

With the passport photo it ays that it needds to be taken within a month of applying for a passport. If the photo needs to be the same as the one used in the referee declaration pages, it won't be within that time limit as it takes 6 months for naturalisation!
Also, can I automatically apply for a passport as well with the online naturalisation?

Thanks again.
alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 pm
No - you just pay for them to fill the form.
If you got PR already for a while you can apply now and as spouse of British citizen anyway, not need to wait 12 months under EU S S.

Just letter (I had one letter from employer covering 10 years)
When you submit you will print off the referee declaration for referees to complete - it's a pre-formatted document.
It's your passport.

Do I need to send the Document for proof of permanent residence (blue one) It does state "permanent"?
Yes - it's the proof of "free from immigration restrictions" - you upload a copy.
How do I send the settled status info? If you use PR you don't need to use EU S S.

Do I just scan all the above and upload or do they need physical copies as well? Just scan and load, no physical copies required.

Am I ready to click send??? I think you are there but you have to press the button...

It's ok - we have all been at this stage. Ask more questions in this thread if necessary.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:06 pm

You can only apply for a passport once you are British, ie attended your Citizenship ceremony.

You will likely need a more recent photo for the passport. The passport application has nothing to do with the citizenship referees.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

greekinUK
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by greekinUK » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:40 pm

Ok, thanks for your help and encouragement, it is all done. I have paid. Although... I do have some questions still!

The worst of the whole experience was the Biometrics appointment. There is no free centre near me and no appointments soon in the enhanced centre so I had to pay £70 for an appointment in a month's time!

Anyway, I uploaded the documents to whatever categories I thought were suitable (and for some reason it said that the only required document was my passport and the others were optional however in the naturalisation online form it said that they are all required... anyway).

Now for the referees. So I printed off the forms, I will get two passport style photos taken and have them put my name and DOB etc but do I need to upload the referee declarations somewhere or do I just take them with me to the appointment? If I upload them, how will anyone see the details behind the photos? It doesnt mention anything about the referees' declarations.

Also, proof of residency in the UK is the letter from the employer, right?

I am sure they could have written it a bit clearer but anyway, I hope it is all good.

So next steps now, I go to the Biometrics appointment with my documents just in case and that's it? Is there anything else I need to do?

Thank you for the advice.
CR001 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:06 pm
You can only apply for a passport once you are British, ie attended your Citizenship ceremony.

You will likely need a more recent photo for the passport. The passport application has nothing to do with the citizenship referees.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:52 pm

greekinUK wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:40 pm
Ok, thanks for your help and encouragement, it is all done. I have paid. Although... I do have some questions still!

The worst of the whole experience was the Biometrics appointment. There is no free centre near me and no appointments soon in the enhanced centre so I had to pay £70 for an appointment in a month's time!

Anyway, I uploaded the documents to whatever categories I thought were suitable (and for some reason it said that the only required document was my passport and the others were op.

Also, proof of residency in the UK is the letter from the employer, right? Yes.

I am sure they could have written it a bit clearer but anyway, I hope it is all good.

So next steps now, I go to the Biometrics appointment with my documents just in case and that's it? Passport for ID is normally sufficient. UKVCAS won't go through the documents as they are not nationality advisors. Is there anything else I need to do? Gather lots of patience! UKVI will not send you progress updates (apart from acknowledgement email) and their SLA is 6 months, though most applications are approved much earlier.

Thank you for the advice. You are welcome
CR001 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:06 pm

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

greekinUK
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by greekinUK » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:37 am

I see, thanks. Patience is key then. Thank you.
And about my comment about the referee declarations?
Now for the referees. So I printed off the forms, I will get two passport style photos taken and have them put my name and DOB etc but do I need to upload the referee declarations somewhere or do I just take them with me to the appointment? If I upload them, how will anyone see the details behind the photos? It doesn't mention anything about the referees' declarations.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:47 am

You have to upload them with all your other documents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

greekinUK
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by greekinUK » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks