ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - EU citizen with 45 days of gap between jobs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Rusland
Spain

Naturalisation - EU citizen with 45 days of gap between jobs

Post by Rusland » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank you to those who created and maintain this forum. It is of great help for those of us aiming to apply for naturalisation and other nature of visas.

The reason why i am posting a message here is because I was planning to apply for naturalisation in ILR background. Here is a summary of my situation:

Spanish citizen
6 years in the country
On the 11th of March it will be 1 year since I was given the ILR
Less than 450 days abroad in the last 5 years and less than 90 in the last year.
6 years of continuous work - with a gap of 45 days between jobs

The latter is my concern as I did not have any sort of Comprehensive Sickness Insurance during this period. I had a private insurance once I started my new job but not during this period.

I wanted to hear your opinion about this. I am worried that due to the fact that I didn't have a CSI the Home Office officer who reviews my case may refuse my application. I have also read similar cases but those were related to applicants who were not working but studying without the CSI.
In case that you reckon there is a high chance for my application being refused, is there anything I could perhaps do to mitigate the risk?

Thanks in advance!
Dani

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation - EU citizen with 45 days of gap between jobs

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:12 pm

The latter is my concern as I did not have any sort of Comprehensive Sickness Insurance during this period. I had a private insurance once I started my new job but not during this period.
You were between jobs - there was no requirement to have CSI for the 45 days between jobs. CSI (under EEA regulations) was/is compulsory for students and self-sufficient persons. Appreciate there are some discussions here on this topic which can be quite confusing but I see no issue in your case.
In case that you reckon there is a high chance for my application being refused, is there anything I could perhaps do to mitigate the risk?
Presumably you were working all the time so there is no issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Rusland
Spain

Post by Rusland » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply.

My concern is that one colleague from work was refused because he had only 10 days between jobs and according to him this was the reason why he was refused. Not entirely sure whether perhaps there were other reasons besides this (?)

Theoetically once you become unemployed you become a self-sufficient resident, right? Note that I did not have the ILR back then and i imagine that I was still obliged to exercise the treaty rights, right?

Dani

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:51 pm

Did colleague show you the refusal letter? Even unemployed people are approved for naturalisation.
Well you are not necessarily self-sufficient as you still got rights to benefits and health service. And you did exercise treaty rights. I know there will be comments about the finer details of regulations around this topic but I have yet to see a case reported here where someone was denied due to CSI. Perhaps you can ask your colleague to copy you the letter and share it here (without personal details of course).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Rusland
Spain

Post by Rusland » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks again for your reply!

I will definitely do so. As I said it may very well be that there was another reason why he was refused.

As for the gap between jobs, at the moment in the application when they ask about your job history I have not specified any entry for those 45 days. Meaning, I have entered the job I did before and the one I did after leaving the 45 days blank. Shall I included an entry for those 45 days as unemployed saying I finished my job and i didn't start looking for one as I already had one secured, or you reckon that is better to leave it as it is?

Dani

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:55 pm

I would just say unemployed for that period - it's a correct and true statement and those days would not count against you. Employment as such isn't a pre-requisite for the application.

Rbgotpwr
United Kingdom

Post by Rbgotpwr » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:10 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:12 pm
You were between jobs - there was no requirement to have CSI for the 45 days between jobs. CSI (under EEA regulations) was/is compulsory for students and self-sufficient persons. Appreciate there are some discussions here on this topic which can be quite confusing but I see no issue in your case.
Presumably you were working all the time so there is no issue.
Sickness insurance isn’t required for students or self sufficient people who applied for IRL via the EU settlement scheme. It isn’t a requirement to obtain status. So if the OP applied through the Scheme, sickness insurance isn’t required

Rbgotpwr
United Kingdom

Post by Rbgotpwr » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:11 pm

Rusland wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:52 pm
Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank you to those who created and maintain this forum. It is of great help for those of us aiming to apply for naturalisation and other nature of visas.

The reason why i am posting a message here is because I was planning to apply for naturalisation in ILR background. Here is a summary of my situation:

Spanish citizen
6 years in the country
On the 11th of March it will be 1 year since I was given the ILR
Less than 450 days abroad in the last 5 years and less than 90 in the last year.
6 years of continuous work - with a gap of 45 days between jobs

I wanted to hear your opinion about this. I am worried that due to the fact that I didn't have a CSI the Home Office officer who reviews my case may refuse my application. I have also read similar cases but those were related to applicants who were not working but studying without the CSI.

Thanks in advance!
Dani
Did you obtain ILR though PR (old system) or Settled Status(EU settlement scheme)

Rusland
Spain

Post by Rusland » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:40 pm

Through the settle Status.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 am

In short I think it's no concern and no worry.

I believe the OP was a job seeker at the time. I was under the impression 3 months is absolutely fine. This link mentions 6 but also registration https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/r ... dex_en.htm
Regulation varied over the years a bit and UK applies them slightly differently.
I still believe 3 months as a job seeker will be easy to justify. I don't think it will even come up.

As others said here there have been extensive discussions on the forum needing CSI when having settled status.

The consensus seems to be HO don't want to know for now as the CSI check is only checked for PR and later checks are looking whether this was correctly granted. Given settled status doesn't need that, lack of CSI will not invalidate the decision. The good character is a looser requirement and so far there seem to be no checks.

Rusland
Spain

Post by Rusland » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:42 pm

Thank you all very much for your help. Yesterday submitted my application so fingers crossed!