ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MiL naturalisation application - forgot to indicate age-related waiver for Life in UK test

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zoltan_the_conqueror
Newly Registered
Ireland

Applying for citizenship after 12 months following settled status granting

Post by zoltan_the_conqueror » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 am

Hi all,

Just anxious to get my family member's application for citizenship underway. She received settled status in March 2019 (the document was received on 14/03/19).

Does she need to wait 12 months to the day that she received the document, or can she apply slightly earlier?

sunny007
United Kingdom

Re: Applying for citizenship after 12 months following settled status granting

Post by sunny007 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:40 am

zoltan_the_conqueror wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 am
Hi all,

Just anxious to get my family member's application for citizenship underway. She received settled status in March 2019 (the document was received on 14/03/19).

Does she need to wait 12 months to the day that she received the document, or can she apply slightly earlier?
When you got the Citizenship?
Did you hold the British nationality at the time when they got the settled status?
The date is written on the confirmtaion letter and the BRP Card (Issue date). you can count the date from the Issue date.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:00 pm

zoltan_the_conqueror wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 am
Hi all,

Is the family member your spouse? Are you British? If so she could apply now.
If not she'll have to wait 12 months (there is no other earlier application time like 28 days for immigration applications).
AN Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

zoltan_the_conqueror
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by zoltan_the_conqueror » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi - thanks for the responses.

No, not my spouse. My mother-in-law. She has an EU passport and in March of last year requested settled status after being here since 2010, she lives with us.

Settled status/right to remain was granted in March and as per the scheme all she got was an email notification stating this. We want to get her citizenship sorted as soon as possible (all her worrying is doing our heads in) so was just curious if I could apply from the 1st of March rather than waiting for the 14th.

She is also over 65, so she is exempt from language fluency and luckily doesn't have to take the life in the UK exam.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:36 pm

If she is not married to a British citizen, then, yes, she needs to wait until one year after acquiring Settled Status, before applying for British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

zoltan_the_conqueror
Newly Registered
Ireland

Citizenship application after 12-month ILR waiting period

Post by zoltan_the_conqueror » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to submit my MiL's citizenship application. She was previously granted ILR under t he EU settled status scheme and has been living continuously since 2010.

Just curious - as she has already been granted ILR, when she submits her citizenship application does she need to re-submit all the same proof of residence, or does she only need to supply proof of being present over the last 12 months?

I applied and received citizenship myself a last year, wasn't sure so I submitted all the documentation again but the Sopra Steria people were confused, as they didn't require any of it on their list - they only needed to see my passport and proof of ILR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship application after 12-month ILR waiting period

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:55 pm

She has to prove she was resident for the 5 years immediately preceding the date of application for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zoltan_the_conqueror
Newly Registered
Ireland

MiL naturalisation application - forgot to indicate age-related waiver for Life in UK test

Post by zoltan_the_conqueror » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi,

We uploaded my MiL's application for naturalisation, however just realised we forgot to indicated that she is exempt from knowledge of English and the Life in the UK exam due to her age.

Can one phone the home office to amend this!?! :shock:

alterhase58
Germany

Re: MiL naturalisation application - forgot to indicate age-related waiver for Life in UK test

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:59 pm

They should be able to work this out from her date of birth.
Have you submitted already and uploaded all documents - if not you could add a note.
Or if you already have a Case ID, send an email to FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk and explain.
The UKVI helpline is an outsourced operation and you won't be able to talk to case workers.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:21 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:53 pm
Topics merged!

announcements/multiple-posts-will-be-lo ... t5722.html
Again!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

zoltan_the_conqueror
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: MiL naturalisation application - forgot to indicate age-related waiver for Life in UK test

Post by zoltan_the_conqueror » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Apologies for the multiple posts not under the same topic, me eyes have gone square after staring at the forms all day.

We've already filled everything out and submitted it online.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion re. a cover letter etc, I've done that and uploaded them to the UKVCAS site.

I did notice that the checklist doesn't request her proof of English language and/or the Life in the UK test... can't recall if mine did, although I had to do the latter.

I'll report back and let ye know how she gets on. Has her appointment on the 26th.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:50 pm

It seems the form automatically recognises if a waver is applicable. I did not see it about age, but for example if one declares a citizenship of english-speaking country (at the beginning, when it asks for current citizenships) then the form does not ask for english test proof, just for a proof of that citizenship.

zoltan_the_conqueror
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by zoltan_the_conqueror » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

MiL is from a non-English speaking country, who knows? Hopefully the system/caseworker/ghost in the machine will exercise sound judgement when they see the case.

Will let you know how it goes.