ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when to apply for Nationalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Abikemi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

when to apply for Nationalisation

Post by Abikemi » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Good afternoon all,
I will be glad if I can get help from this forum please.
I want to apply for citizenship but I need your advice if I should go ahead. Thank you in advance.
This is my immigration history:
Came to UK in May 2004 on visiting visa, coming in and out of the country. In Dec 2007, I was travelling with a false passport to another country from here in UK, I was stop by immigration office, anyway, to cut the long story short, I was sentenced to 9months in prison, did 41/2 months and I returned to Nigerian voluntarily. I came back to UK with my remaining visa in Sept 2008.
I met my previous husband here and we got married in May 2009 and I got my 5years spouse visa in October.
Divorce in 2014
Permanent resident in June 2015.
My question is this, can I apply for citizenship because II have never mention the case in my previous application. Can it be a problem at all? though am going to mention it in the
form AN.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: when to apply for Nationalisation

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Abikemi wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:42 pm
Good afternoon all,
I will be glad if I can get help from this forum please.
I want to apply for citizenship but I need your advice if I should go ahead. Thank you in advance.
This is my immigration history:
Came to UK in May 2004 on visiting visa, coming in and out of the country. In Dec 2007, I was travelling with a false passport to another country from here in UK, I was stop by immigration office, anyway, to cut the long story short, I was sentenced to 9months in prison, did 41/2 months and I returned to Nigerian voluntarily. I came back to UK with my remaining visa in Sept 2008.
I met my previous husband here and we got married in May 2009 and I got my 5years spouse visa in October.
Divorce in 2014
Permanent resident in June 2015.
My question is this, can I apply for citizenship because II have never mention the case in my previous application. Can it be a problem at all? though am going to mention it in the
form AN.
A few questions to understand your situation better
1. What was the validity of your visiting visa in 2004?
2. Which country were you travelling to on a fake passport?
3. Where were you stopped?
4 Where did you serve your prison term?
5. Was your visiting visa to the UK also on a fake passport?
6. What do you mean by remaining visa to the UK? You mean you had a visiting visa multiple entry valid from May 2004 - more than Sepr 2008?
7. How did you manage to stay in the UK on a visiting visa from Sept 2008 to May 2009 when you got married.?
8. WHy haven't you declared the prison term in the previous applications?
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Abikemi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Abikemi » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:38 pm

6months visa then renewed 2years twice expired May 2009
travelling to cananda
prison here in UK
I was scared to declared ii
I still got a valid visa in my original passport

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:50 pm

Abikemi wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:38 pm
6months visa then renewed 2years twice expired May 2009
travelling to cananda
prison here in UK
I was scared to declared ii
I still got a valid visa in my original passport

You have to declare the imprisonment in your naturalisation application. Although, the case alone shouldn't affect your application as it is more than 10 years ago. The issue now is that you are likely to fail the good character criteria under " Deception in previous applications". Failure to disclose information in the previous application could form a ground for refusal.
I have to say that you were lucky to have been let back into the UK on a visiting visa shortly after serving a prison term for using a false passport. And it appears that your subsequent applications have not been affected either.

Read Good Character guidance
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

and the general ground for refusal

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-EXT.PDF
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Abikemi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Abikemi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Thank you for your advice, really appreciate.
Yes I will disclose it this time

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Abikemi wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:07 pm
Thank you for your advice, really appreciate.
Yes I will disclose it this time
All the best. Do let us know once you have applied and know the outcome.

Abikemi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Abikemi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:56 pm

I will, Thank you so much