ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Form current citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dansunotori
Newly Registered

MN1 Form current citizenship

Post by dansunotori » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi there,

I am seeking an advice on how to populate the “citizenship” field in the online form.

I hold an ILR. Child was born in the UK before the ILR. Never applied for any citizenships, never travelled outside of the uk.

It is a required field, and there’s no option to leave it blank. Also, since I wasn’t settled at her birth yet, she cannot put “British” either.

Thank you in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MN1 Form current citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:19 pm

What is your nationality?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dansunotori
Newly Registered

Post by dansunotori » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Russian. But she is not automatically a Russian citizen. Entering that would be a lie.

dansunotori
Newly Registered

Post by dansunotori » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:38 pm

Just found your previous responses to similar questions. So yes, a child born to Russian parents has a right to register as a Russian but it does not legally mean that without the registration they are Russian either. I would disagree that on our part, it is neglect. We just don’t execute our rights. Which is done on purpose. I don’t want to burden my children with Russian citizenship. Therefore, I may enter that my daughter is a Russian citizen but effectively that would be a lie because she is not legally one.

Anyway, very confused.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:54 am

What are the nationalities of the other parent? Assuming that s/he is not Russian, it is possible that the child may derive citizenship automatically from them.

Some citizenships do not descend automatically to children born abroad, such as Indian or Australian citizenships. In that case, the child is stateless and "Stateless" likely is an option in the drop-down.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

paul911
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by paul911 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:43 pm

I believe your child is a citizen of Russia whether registered or not. The law says that the child is a citizen at birth if one of his parents is a citizen at birth irrespective of the place of birth. It is the same as if the child is born in Russia:

http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_ ... b305698c2/