ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa: Travel and Covid-19

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Elle268
Australia

Spouse Visa: Travel and Covid-19

Post by Elle268 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:12 am

Hi All

I’ve recently received my passport back with my spouse visa application successful. My travel window is next month.

Given the current situation with covid-19 and the many travel restrictions coming into place (to my knowledge, UK hasn’t closed borders yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did), I am becoming concerned about what I should do.

I appreciate no one has any answers at this point in time. I’m keeping an eye on gov.uk website, but there appears to be no specific guidance to this yet, and there are bigger matters at hand, but I do hope something will be issued in due time. Are there other government websites where I can stay updated with visa related news?

I understand there is the option of the transfer of conditions for the vignette. In “normal circumstances”:

- When do you apply for the transfer of conditions?
- Can you do this in advance of the travel date, or must it be after the travel window has passed?
- If after the travel window has passed, what is the time frame to complete this? Is there a risk if it isn’t completed in time, that the visa will lapse?
- Is there a restriction of when you can transfer the new travel window date to?
- What if circumstances change again and you need to transfer conditions again – is this possible?
- Is a BRP re-issued when a transfer of conditions is completed?
- What happens to the end date of the spouse visa when a transfer of conditions is completed? Does it remain the same or extend?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse Visa: Travel and Covid-19

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:34 am

I suggest keep an eye on updates per link below.

immigration-for-family-members/covid-19 ... 99289.html

The visa won't lapse. You can apply for a new 30 days visa vignette at any point, even after expiry. You have to pay the almost £200 fee for each transfer you make.

Visa duration remains the same as the visa is already granted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

joadin
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by joadin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Elle268 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:12 am
Hi All

I’ve recently received my passport back with my spouse visa application successful. My travel window is next month.

Given the current situation with covid-19 and the many travel restrictions coming into place (to my knowledge, UK hasn’t closed borders yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did), I am becoming concerned about what I should do.

I appreciate no one has any answers at this point in time. I’m keeping an eye on gov.uk website, but there appears to be no specific guidance to this yet, and there are bigger matters at hand, but I do hope something will be issued in due time. Are there other government websites where I can stay updated with visa related news?

I understand there is the option of the transfer of conditions for the vignette. In “normal circumstances”:

- When do you apply for the transfer of conditions?
- Can you do this in advance of the travel date, or must it be after the travel window has passed?
- If after the travel window has passed, what is the time frame to complete this? Is there a risk if it isn’t completed in time, that the visa will lapse?
- Is there a restriction of when you can transfer the new travel window date to?
- What if circumstances change again and you need to transfer conditions again – is this possible?
- Is a BRP re-issued when a transfer of conditions is completed?
- What happens to the end date of the spouse visa when a transfer of conditions is completed? Does it remain the same or extend?

Thank you.
Hi Elle,

I'm in a somewhat similar situation - I am applying for a Tier 2 General, and I am supposed to get my Entry Clearance tomorrow or on Monday, however, the country I'm currently in has closed the airport and cancelled all commercial flights. As I'm in Europe, I thought it would be the easiest to just travel by car, but it seems that also won't be possible.

I reached out to my immigration lawyers and they said they said there is a possibility the Home Office will let all non-EU nationals whose BRP has been issued to enter the UK after the 30-day window, if the evidence of this can be provided on entry to the UK. Please note that this is not confirmed yet, they are still waiting to hear back from the HO, but I can keep you updated as I get more information.

sohail111
United Kingdom

Post by sohail111 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:56 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:34 am
I suggest keep an eye on updates per link below.

immigration-for-family-members/covid-19 ... 99289.html

The visa won't lapse. You can apply for a new 30 days visa vignette at any point, even after expiry. You have to pay the almost £200 fee for each transfer you make.

Visa duration remains the same as the visa is already granted.
I'm in the same situation as OP. However, I saw online that the vignette transfer is £154. Are we referring to the same thing here? Also, given the Coronavirus, it was clear what the process is.

Where can I arrange this payment (since most UK offices are now closed) and does my spouse visit the biometric office again in her home country? If so, does she need to return back on another date when its ready? Sorry but I haven't been able to find the answer

Elle268
Australia

Post by Elle268 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:45 am

Thank you CR001.
Where would I be able to find further guidance on the transfer of conditions, specifically around applying after the travel window has passed? I am especially nervous since I guess/expect local visa processing offices to close soon and even if I were able to transfer conditions now, I don’t know how far ahead I should change the date to.

Hi joadin
Yes, please keep us updated if you receive any new information from your immigration lawyer. I do hope there will be guidance/provisions from the Home Office soon.

Hi sohail111
I saw the price as GBP 169 here: https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa It comes under “transfer your visa to a new passport online if you’re outside the UK” and following the links it tells you what you need to do in "normal circumstances" (including transfer/replace vignette if unable to travel to UK before the expiry date of the issued visa/vignette).

Elle268
Australia

Post by Elle268 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:13 am

Hello

I just wanted to clarify my understanding on the length of the spouse visa, and its impact on ILR.

The first spouse visa issued is 33 months. We need at least 30 months of this in the UK + another 30 months in the next further leave to remain (FLR) application, before we can apply for ILR, right?

Given the current Covid-19 situation can be ongoing for many more months, what would happen if I arrive in the UK say, 3 or more months after the visa start date, and the length of time I was in the UK on the first spouse visa is less than 30 months? Does this mean I cannot apply for ILR after 5 years?

I hope I was able to articulate my question alright and someone could shed some light for me. Thanks.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:04 pm

Elle268 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:13 am

Given the current Covid-19 situation can be ongoing for many more months, what would happen if I arrive in the UK say, 3 or more months after the visa start date, and the length of time I was in the UK on the first spouse visa is less than 30 months? Does this mean I cannot apply for ILR after 5 years
You are trying to get an answer pertaining to an application (ILR) which will be applied after 5 years when more likely a lot of things would have been changed. At the moment no one even can predict as what gonna be happens the next day. Better to keep an eye over immigration, national & international news and stay optimistic.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

sohail111
United Kingdom

Post by sohail111 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:24 pm

Elle268 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:13 am
Hello

I just wanted to clarify my understanding on the length of the spouse visa, and its impact on ILR.

The first spouse visa issued is 33 months. We need at least 30 months of this in the UK + another 30 months in the next further leave to remain (FLR) application, before we can apply for ILR, right?

Given the current Covid-19 situation can be ongoing for many more months, what would happen if I arrive in the UK say, 3 or more months after the visa start date, and the length of time I was in the UK on the first spouse visa is less than 30 months? Does this mean I cannot apply for ILR after 5 years?

I hope I was able to articulate my question alright and someone could shed some light for me. Thanks.
You will have to wait until everything clears up for the answer on that
But I would recommend writing a memo of your current experience, so you can follow it up later on in your application (2 years on) so you can be flexible should you need.. at the moment we dont know what will happen

Elle268
Australia

Post by Elle268 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:15 am

Hi

Just wondering whether anyone has received any response from the Coronavirus Immigration Help (CIH) Centre?

I emailed them a few weeks ago but didn’t receive a response back. I rang the CIH helpline earlier and the person I spoke to said there was a form on the gov.uk website that can be filled in – the one I found (and do correct me if I am wrong) looks like it is for people unable to leave the UK, rather than people who can’t arrive in the UK. Has anyone else been told to fill this in who are abroad?

The alternative is to email (which I had done already) and to also advise why you can’t arrive in time so the Home Office can then provide the next steps. Not to be cheeky, but there is a global pandemic so isn’t that enough reason? :P

Keen to hear if anyone has any updates/news.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Elle268 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:15 am
Hi

Just wondering whether anyone has received any response from the Coronavirus Immigration Help (CIH) Centre?

I emailed them a few weeks ago but didn’t receive a response back. I rang the CIH helpline earlier and the person I spoke to said there was a form on the gov.uk website that can be filled in – the one I found (and do correct me if I am wrong) looks like it is for people unable to leave the UK, rather than people who can’t arrive in the UK. Has anyone else been told to fill this in who are abroad?

The alternative is to email (which I had done already) and to also advise why you can’t arrive in time so the Home Office can then provide the next steps. Not to be cheeky, but there is a global pandemic so isn’t that enough reason? :P

Keen to hear if anyone has any updates/news.
You are not wrong, the CIH is mainly (if not solely) dealing with people on Visa already in the UK who can not leave due to the prevailing Covid-19 situation and whose visa has run or is going to run out.
Looking forward to update addressing people coming into the UK though presume they know what options are available.

Elle268
Australia

Post by Elle268 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi All

You’ve probably seen the new guidance from Home Office for those who have expired/soon to expire vignettes.

One thing I am not sure about is when sending the email, are we supposed to include our revised entry dates? Or is this part provided when they contact us? I.e. when we would then have a better idea of when we are likely to travel (given the situation is still so uncertain).

I was planning on emailing them soon, but perhaps I should a wait a bit?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:42 pm

Elle268 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Hi All

You’ve probably seen the new guidance from Home Office for those who have expired/soon to expire vignettes.

One thing I am not sure about is when sending the email, are we supposed to include our revised entry dates? Or is this part provided when they contact us? I.e. when we would then have a better idea of when we are likely to travel (given the situation is still so uncertain).

There is no harm in reaching them and include this enquiry in your mail to them. Please do share the response you get to help others.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:54 pm

Elle268 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Hi All

This new facilitation will be valid until the end of this year which in my view must be availed as soon as possible without any delay.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Elle268
Australia

Post by Elle268 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:25 am

Hello

Hope everyone is doing okay.

I have a quick question.

For background, my UK spouse visa has been granted, but due to global pandemic I have not been able to travel to UK, and my vignette has expired. I’ve emailed CIH requesting for revised vignette but haven’t received a response to the questions I asked.

My husband unfortunately has been made redundant from his job due to the pandemic. Does the redundancy have any impact on the spouse visa that has been granted to me? We met all the financial requirements at the time, and the visa was issued based on it, but I am worried there is some HO rule I don’t know about. I guess I’m especially worried since I have not arrived in the UK yet and still need to have my vignette updated - could the HO ask about the financial requirements again?

What would normally happen if the sponsor of the visa decides to change jobs or loses their job?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 am

For background, my UK spouse visa has been granted, but due to global pandemic I have not been able to travel to UK, and my vignette has expired. I’ve emailed CIH requesting for revised vignette but haven’t received a response to the questions I asked.
Likely inundated with requests.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents
If your 30 day visa to work, study or join family has expired
If your 30 day visa to travel to the UK for work, study or to join family has expired, or is about to expire, you can request a replacement visa with revised validity dates free of charge until the end of this year.

To make a request, contact the Coronavirus Immigration Help Centre. You’ll need to include your name, nationality, date of birth and your GWF reference number with ‘REPLACEMENT 30 DAY VISA’ in the subject line. If you’ve already contacted us about this, please let us know in your email.

You’ll be contacted when our VACs reopen to arrange for a replacement visa to be endorsed in your passport.

You will not be penalised for being unable collect your BRP while coronavirus measures are in place.

This process will be in place until the end of 2020.
My husband unfortunately has been made redundant from his job due to the pandemic. Does the redundancy have any impact on the spouse visa that has been granted to me?
No.
We met all the financial requirements at the time, and the visa was issued based on it, but I am worried there is some HO rule I don’t know about.

There isn't, you are overthinking.
I guess I’m especially worried since I have not arrived in the UK yet and still need to have my vignette updated - could the HO ask about the financial requirements again?
You are overthinking.
What would normally happen if the sponsor of the visa decides to change jobs or loses their job?
You do not have to meet the financial requirements again until you apply for an extension.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Elle268
Australia

Post by Elle268 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 am

Thank you CR001, appreciate your quick and straight forward response!

Elle268
Australia

Post by Elle268 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:13 am

Hi All

Has anyone received their passport and replacement vignette back?

I submitted my passport to my local VFS at the start of July and I am still waiting for it to be returned to me. The CIH email requested the passport be submitted within 21 days of receiving the email which I did, yet it is taking a really long time to replace the vignette. The silence and lack of update is becoming really concerning, especially as it appears newer applications are being processed and issued.

Anyone else still waiting?

nwk46
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nwk46 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi Elle28,

Unfortunately not. We are waiting for the TLS conect Office in Dusseldorf to return my Wifes passport and Vignette now for over 3 weeks from submitting it.

Impossible to find any information or contact anyone to check on status. Very frustrating.

We contacted CIH initially on May 11th to request the replacement Vignette. Finally was contacted on July 10th to attend Visa Centre which she did in 24th July to submit passport. We were told it would be 2 weeks, We are nearly 4 weeks now and nothing.