ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR being processed via Tier2 5YR: Job security and COVID-19

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pm07
Newly Registered

ILR being processed via Tier2 5YR: Job security and COVID-19

Post by pm07 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:05 pm

Hi - I have tried to search for this answer but apologies if I used the wrong search terms

I think many people might be concerned about their job security right now.

If I have applied for ILR with all correct documentation. Does any change to those circumstances matter between the submission and the decision:

- Applied on 16-Mar, via standard route
- I am still required in my role
- I will give biometrics on Monday (23-Mar)
- Have uploaded all documents

If the situation with my employer changes and I am laid off between now and when my decision is made will that affect the decision; or is it based on my eligibility at the time I applied on 16-Mar?

Please ignore the chances that COVID-19 gov't protections will reduce the chance of losing employment. I ask this generally and for the benefit of others with the same question.

----
Also, does anyone know yet whether the "Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme" covers funding for migrant workers (eg: Tier 2) given that they have no recourse to public money?

Regards

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR being processed via Tier2 5YR: Job security and COVID-19

Post by zimba » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:21 pm

If your employer chooses to terminate your employment, then yes it will affect your ILR. UKVI has left such decisions to employers.
The scheme announced by the government is a relief for BUSINESSES so it may cover all employees. Public funds restrictions still apply to the benefits claimed by INDIVIDUALS e.g tax credits, child benefit, etc
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

pm07
Newly Registered

Post by pm07 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:56 am

Ok - so even though I met the ILR requirements when I apply, I could still be refused if I am no longer eligible at the point the decision is made?

It sounds unfair but it is good to know that is the case.

Thankfully I am in a very secure role (and on the shortage list) and my employer has co-paid my application fee, placing me on a 24 month retainer. I feel secure. But this global emergency is a completely new landscape and anything can happen.

Thanks again for your knowledge.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:27 pm

pm07 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:56 am
Ok - so even though I met the ILR requirements when I apply, I could still be refused if I am no longer eligible at the point the decision is made?

It sounds unfair but it is good to know that is the case.

Thankfully I am in a very secure role (and on the shortage list) and my employer has co-paid my application fee, placing me on a 24 month retainer. I feel secure. But this global emergency is a completely new landscape and anything can happen.

Thanks again for your knowledge.
Government has enabled business to avoid redundancies if they can. Rules for ILR do not change though. If you are not wanted, ILR will be refused as per rules
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

pm07
Newly Registered

Re: ILR FORM - COUNTRIES LIVED IN OUTSIDE UK

Post by pm07 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm

On that, in my current ILR application I added my country of birth in this section and the reason for living there as "country of birth".
I assume that's what you are supposed to do?

My dates don't fully add up as I was on Tier 5 in UK prior to Tier 2. So it looks like there is a gap from when I left my country of birth and when I entered the UK based on my Tier 2 leave.

I assume also this is standard situation. My Tier 5 is in my passport so it should not be hard to work out. Do you think I need to do up a cover letter for this?

Is it still a good idea to do a cover letter or has this online submission process largely replaced the need?
I don't have any other complicated issues so the rest of my cover letter would just be pleasantries and explaining my commitment and desire to the UK.

Ta

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR FORM - COUNTRIES LIVED IN OUTSIDE UK

Post by zimba » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:09 pm

pm07 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm
On that, in my current ILR application I added my country of birth in this section and the reason for living there as "country of birth".
I assume that's what you are supposed to do?
DO NOT tag your questions on other topics. Stick to this post ONLY :!:
You are overthinking this. Just write your country of birth that is it

pm07
Newly Registered

Post by pm07 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:38 pm

Sorry, I have no idea how my reply to the other post ended up getting added here.
I didn't do that deliberately.

I meant to reply to the other post only as it was a different question.