ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Shazjade123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Fiance visa

Post by Shazjade123 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi guys. This might sound stupid but if a couple.have married overseas can they still call their spouse over on a fiance visa instead of spousevi they want to do their marriage in the UK.

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Fiance visa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Not really as you are already married.

There is no requirement to register an marriage from abroad in the uk.

Note that the requirements for a fiance visa are exactly the same as for a spouse visa, the fees too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Shazjade123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Shazjade123 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 pm

Hi thank you for your reply

The reason why I asked where in a tricky situation.
Basically my other brother got married in Pakistan in 2012 but ended in divorce. He didn't call his wife over. He sent divorce through UK sharia council.

He got married in Pakistan last year in 2019 but have now realised the UK government only accept divorce done through the process of the country that the marriage happened in.

We spoke to the union council in Pakistan and they can only issue a divorce certificate and their process would be 3 months and the divorce certificate would be dated for then.

That's the problem now. The divorce certificate will be dated after his 2nd marriage as we didn't know this would be an issue.

Or could he apply for a fiance visa? As technically under UK law his 2nd marriage won't be valid.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 pm

6. SET13.6 Talaq divorce in the UK
If a husband pronounces talaq divorce in the UK alone, the divorce will not be recognised.

If a husband pronounces talaq divorce in the UK and then notifies his wife and the Union Council Chairman in Pakistan or Bangladesh, the divorce will not be recognised. The UK courts have held that an overseas divorce is capable of recognition in the UK only if the divorce has been instituted and obtained in the same country outside the UK
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rces-set13

You have correct information . Fiancee visa can be applied unless there is some way to remarry/re-register the 2nd marriage as the 2nd marriage won't be considered as valid under uk immigration system.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Shazjade123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Shazjade123 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 am

Hi Seagul

Thank you for your reply. I think we will go through the fiance route as divorcing his second wife remarrying could be too much of a problem regarding Pakistani/muslim culture.

Would we have to declare the 2nd marriage to home office as on his wife's nadra card (Pakistani id) it has been changed to married.

Kind regards

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:29 pm

Shazjade123 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 am

Would we have to declare the 2nd marriage to home office as on his wife's nadra card (Pakistani id) it has been changed to married.

Kind regards
Yes but also add a covering letter clarify the whole situation and particularly emphasize that the reason you are applying fiancee visa is because the 2nd marriage isn't valid for visa purposes.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 pm

I'm not entirely clear of the facts. See below.

Your brother married in Pakistan, and his wife was a Pakistani Citizen who lives there. He is British and lives in the UK?

His wife did not make an application to come to the UK as a partner.

The couple were divorced - how exactly?

The second marriage is lawful in Pakistan?

Amanda
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:21 pm

avjones wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 pm
The couple were divorced - how exactly?
Shazjade123 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 pm
He sent divorce through UK sharia council.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:44 pm

That is absolutely not enough detail to be sure. Where were the parties at the time? Did the divorce comply with Pakistani law?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Shazjade123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Shazjade123 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am

Hi Amanda.

My brother is British. His first wife was Pakistani. The divorce sent from the uk doesn't comply with the Pakistani divorce process.

Both of his marriages in Pakistan are considered legal and registered.

Kind regards