ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Advice Needed.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mekaboy
Newly Registered

UK Advice Needed.

Post by mekaboy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:57 pm

Hello people,

I just came accross this forum and i think its very interesting and will be helpful to my search.

Please people i need your advice on a situation at hand, A young nigerian boy has been given the option to choose between being given 7000pound to do business or to study abroad. he chose to study abroad but he as a lot of challenges facing him and i believe your advice will be helpful.
the challeges are as follows.

1, He is given 7000 pounds, and the college he found in london cost 3000 pound, and after that all he will have is 4,000 pounds, as a foriegn student, how can he pay for the rest of the 2 yrs and take care of housing and other stuff , while working as a student since he has no one to support.

2, people have told him london is very expensive he should try studing outside london , but he does not know where.

3, where can he find more employment opportunities?

4, after paying the first year and with 4,000 in his hand can he survive for the rest of the years as a student?

5, is it possible for him to study and pay rent and his school fees of 3000 pounds for 2 yrs without support from home?

Please people can u advice him on this, if it is possible for him to study and survive on his own, where to study and how to survive in uk.

Your advice will be really helpful to this young man, since he does know much about the internet, i am helping him with the research.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:17 pm

A student is allowed to work 20 hrs a week, but cannot count these earnings towards the cost of his studies/living expenses, he is expected to be able to show he has the full cost of the course and his living expenses at visa application time. Since you mention a figure of £7000, 3K for course leaving 4K to live it might not quite be enough, I think I saw a figure of 4.8K for living in London for a year. If he can only show funds for a year he'll only get a visa for a year and will be refused an extension if he cannot show further funding after year one.

A lot of money for a little education. My Russian gf says her Russian education was far tougher and far more intensive than her UK one, likening that to a Holiday Camp.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mekaboy
Newly Registered

Post by mekaboy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks for your response,

In his case, his sponsor has over 40,000 pounds in his bank statement, and is willing to pay his fee for 1 year and give him 4,000pounds to travel , but he should take care of himself from there and not depend on him for support..

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:03 pm

mekaboy wrote:Thanks for your response,

In his case, his sponsor has over 40,000 pounds in his bank statement, and is willing to pay his fee for 1 year and give him 4,000pounds to travel , but he should take care of himself from there and not depend on him for support..
I don't think he will be successful then, the working restriction means earnings are small and cannot be used to fund studies and they do check these things as well spot checks on working hours via NI contributions and employer checks.

Based on what you posted I suspect he'll either get a a refusal due to insufficient funds, or get a visa for one year which he won't be able to extend unless his sponsor stumps up more cash.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:28 pm

The attached might be of some help. It's the August 2008 NatWest Student Living Index by UK City:

http://www.rbs.com/media03.asp?id=MEDIA ... ENT_LIVING

The article mentions average weekly student expenditures for a few cities.

Living accomodation is one of the most expensive items a student will have to deal with. Searching shared housing websites (e.g., easyroommate.com, roombuddies.com, spareroom.co.uk) could help in calculating bare minimum accomodation costs by city. Also it would help to search the websites of several UK universities in each city to get a sense of how much they charge for university-held student accomodation.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture