ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General - Close to ILR - lay off impact?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

seeweare
India

Tier 2 General - Close to ILR - lay off impact?

Post by seeweare » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi,

While there has been guidance on furlough, i couldn't find much info around layoff or redundancies.
I am on Tier 2 general and i am eligible for ILR in Aug 2020. I am also eligible for long term residence in June 2020.
What happens to my status if I lose my job now before ILR? My visa will no longer be valid so i am assuming i can apply for extension under COVID. Will I still be eligible for ILR?

Thank you.
Regards,
Ramana

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 General - Close to ILR - lay off impact?

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:41 pm

If you lose your job you cant apply for ilr based on 5 years tier 2 general.

10 years long residence ilr only requires 10 years legal residence from the date you entered the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seeweare
India

Post by seeweare » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Thanks for the response. I came to UK on June 16 2010. I am eligible from May 20 if I am right. I am yet to write the Life in the UK test as centres are closed and my appointment is rescheduled.
What happens if I lose my job after June? I have legally stayed for 10 years and will apply for ILR as soon as the lockdown is finished. Will I still be considered overstayer on 10 years route?

seeweare
India

Post by seeweare » Thu May 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi,
I asked a question in a separate thread which was locked and was provided reference to this thread. However the question was different. Could you please confirm.. once the ILR application is submitted with all the correct documentation (including the letter from employer), what happens if i lose my job while i am waiting for ILR decision.

Thank you.
Regards,
Ramana

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu May 21, 2020 7:49 pm

seeweare wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:44 pm
Hi,
I asked a question in a separate thread which was locked and was provided reference to this thread. However the question was different. Could you please confirm.. once the ILR application is submitted with all the correct documentation (including the letter from employer), what happens if i lose my job while i am waiting for ILR decision.

Thank you.
Regards,
Ramana
The question is not different. Your ILR will be refused. You are expected to be employed by your employer or else ILR will be refused :!:
indefinite-leave-to-remain/covid-19-imp ... l#p1894615
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice