ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents for registering UK citizenship for child born out of wedlock

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alishinto
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British citizenship for child out of wedlock

Post by alishinto » Sat May 02, 2020 1:39 am

Hi, I'm a British citizen by descent (born outside UK, father was British citizen otherwise than by descent). My daughter was born in UK in 2002, her mother is Japanese and we never married so my child took Japanese citizenship. Does she automatically get British citizenship or do I have to register her as a British citizen?
Also, on the Guide UKF form, it says for her to register she has to show documentary evidence that I was a British citizen at the time she was born. However, I no longer have my passport from that time. Does anyone how I can solve that problem? Thanks in advance!

vinny

Re: British citizenship for child out of wedlock

Post by vinny » Sat May 02, 2020 4:28 am

Register under Section 4G, using form UKF, with proof that you were British by descent, etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

alishinto
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alishinto » Sat May 02, 2020 6:08 am

Thanks for the reply. My problem is, as I understand it, one of the application materials I need to submit is my passport at the time of my daughter's birth (February 2002). Unfortunately I don't have that any longer. Is there any way around this? Thanks again in advance.

alishinto
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Documents for registering UK citizenship for child born out of wedlock

Post by alishinto » Sat May 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Hi,
I want to register my child for British citizenship and I've read the guidance form for UKF, but I'm a bit unclear on the documents needed. For my child, she would need her passport and birth certificate. And for me, her father, I would only need my birth certificate, is that right? Even though I was born outside UK and got British citizenship by descent? Any help appreciated, thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Instead of your British passport, you may submit the same evidence that you initially used to get your first British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Documents for registering UK citizenship for child born out of wedlock

Post by CR001 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:35 pm

alishinto wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:27 pm
Hi,
I want to register my child for British citizenship and I've read the guidance form for UKF, but I'm a bit unclear on the documents needed. For my child, she would need her passport and birth certificate. And for me, her father, I would only need my birth certificate, is that right? Even though I was born outside UK and got British citizenship by descent? Any help appreciated, thanks!
Topics merged!!!

announcements/multiple-posts-will-be-lo ... t5722.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Documents for registering UK citizenship for child born out of wedlock

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 02, 2020 1:25 pm

alishinto wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:27 pm
And for me, her father, I would only need my birth certificate, is that right? Even though I was born outside UK and got British citizenship by descent?
Your birth certificate and proof that your father was a British citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of your birth, so your father's birth/registration/naturalisation certificate (as you have not stated how your father was a British citizen otherwise than by descent.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.