ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born out of Wedlock

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Child born out of Wedlock

Post by Dier » Sat May 02, 2020 11:40 am

Hi, I was born out of wedlock in the UK in 1992. My father had ILR and was legally married to another woman at the time of my birth. Am I eligible for a British citizenship?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born out of Wedlock

Post by CR001 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:46 am

Is your father named on you original birth certificate?

What is your mother's UK immigration status?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... r-form-ukf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Sat May 02, 2020 11:58 am

Yes he is named on my original birth certificate and mother had no status.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Then please click on the link for the process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Sat May 02, 2020 12:44 pm

Thank you for you quick reply. The link seems to apply only to British fathers.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:48 pm

Page 7 of the guidance notes, requires evidence that your father was settled, or held ILR.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-guidance

Was your mother single or married to someone else at that time?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Was your mother married to somebody else at the time of your birth?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Sat May 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Wow... I’m so happy right now but before I get too excited does that mean I am entitled to register as a British Citizen even though my father is legally to another woman?

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Sat May 02, 2020 1:00 pm

My mother was not married to anyone at the time of my birth. Never been married.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Sat May 02, 2020 1:13 pm

Wow... I’m so happy right now but before I get too excited does that mean I am entitled to register as a British Citizen even though my father is legally Married to another woman?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 02, 2020 1:18 pm

Provided your mother was not married to somebody else at the time of your birth and provided you have proof that (a) you were born in the UK and (b) that your father had ILR at the time of your birth (ideally his original passport from that time or other documentation stating that he had ILR before the day you were born), you can apply to register as a British citizen using Form UKF (read the guidance first).

Keep in mind that you only become a British citizen from the date of the registration certificate and that your British citizenship does not pass on to children who have already been born.
Dier wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:13 pm
Wow... I’m so happy right now but before I get too excited does that mean I am entitled to register as a British Citizen even though my father is legally Married to another woman?
Your father's marital status is irrelevant. But if your mother were married at the time of your birth, then the man she was married to would be your legal father, irrespective of who your biological father was. Thence the question.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Sat May 02, 2020 1:38 pm

This is good news... thank you secret.simon. Does that mean I will be registered British otherwise by descent?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 02, 2020 2:27 pm

As you were born in the UK to a father who had ILR, and you would have been born a British citizen otherwise than by descent if your parents were married at the time of your birth, I believe that you would become a British citizen otherwise than by descent from the date of your registration.

As an aside, what proof do you have of your father holding ILR on the date of your birth?