ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can citizenship be applied from abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Can citizenship be applied from abroad

Post by tier21419 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:38 am

Wondering if citizenship can be applied from abroad? Let's say I go on holiday and get stuck there and would like to apply just to be sure that I don't exceed the 90 days limit?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can citizenship be applied from abroad

Post by CR001 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:40 am

No. You need to be in the UK. You also have to declare all absences, which you won't be able to do if still outside the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue May 05, 2020 12:05 pm

No no no. Don't try to apply for citizenship from abroad, follow up from abroad, apply for first passport from abroad... Do all from the UK.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 05, 2020 3:07 pm

I think it may be possible, if you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 05, 2020 6:41 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:05 pm
No no no. Don't try to apply for citizenship from abroad, follow up from abroad, apply for first passport from abroad... Do all from the UK.
Zerubbabel's advice is spot on. There have been two cases on these forums where people who successfully naturalised in the UK but then applied from their first British passports abroad had issues because the Passport office escalated the applications to the Home Office to investigate if the applicants had failed the "future intentions" requirement of the naturalisation application.
tier21419 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:38 am
Wondering if citizenship can be applied from abroad? Let's say I go on holiday and get stuck there and would like to apply just to be sure that I don't exceed the 90 days limit?
Apply after you return and meet the requirements.
vinny wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:07 pm
I think it may be possible, if you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.
Vinny, does that possibility apply to the spouses & civil partners of all British citizens or only of those British citizens serving abroad on Crown or designated Service?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 06, 2020 2:41 am

I think may be possible for settled spouses or civil partners of British citizens, who satisfied all the requirements. Previously, it was even possible for those without ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.