ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR, Spouse Visa - Advice Please

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

geoeng
Canada

Re: FLR, Spouse Visa - Advice Please

Post by geoeng » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:14 am

ssbib wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:03 am
Do I need to get passport photos of my wife and I before we submit the FLR (M) application? I read somewhere that we do but my wife says we don’t. If we do, do I need to get them signed by a person of good standing etc?
No photos necessary for FLR(M) application. Applicant's photo for the new BRP will be taken at the biometric appointment.
ssbib wrote:
Also, do the new immigration rules announced this morning affect visas for family route? I can’t see any mention of a change to the rules for family members but wanted to ask here. If they DO decide to change the rules, for example increase the financial requirements, would we have to meet the new threshold or would we still only have to meet the current one because we are part way through the 5 year route?
I believe the proposed changes announced recently would only affect points-based routes (i.e. work visas). If they do decide to change the rules (unaware of any current proposals relating to family visas), you would likely have to meet the new requirements in any extensions, but I would imagine guidance on this would also be provided in the event it happens. Be prepared for a potential future increase in the IHS fee, which would definitely apply to future extensions, I know a proposal was being floated for that in the last election.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:18 am

geoeng wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:14 am
ssbib wrote:
Do I need to get passport photos of my wife and I before we submit the FLR (M) application? I read somewhere that we do but my wife says we don’t. If we do, do I need to get them signed by a person of good standing etc?
No photos necessary for FLR(M) application. Applicant's photo for the new BRP will be taken at the biometric appointment.
ssbib wrote:
Also, do the new immigration rules announced this morning affect visas for family route? I can’t see any mention of a change to the rules for family members but wanted to ask here. If they DO decide to change the rules, for example increase the financial requirements, would we have to meet the new threshold or would we still only have to meet the current one because we are part way through the 5 year route?
I believe the proposed changes announced recently would only affect points-based routes (i.e. work visas). If they do decide to change the rules (unaware of any current proposals relating to family visas), you would likely have to meet the new requirements in any extensions, but I would imagine guidance on this would also be provided in the event it happens. Be prepared for a potential future increase in the IHS fee, which would definitely apply to future extensions, I know a proposal was being floated for that in the last election.
I thought it only applied to “new” visa applications, but at least there are no changes on the horizon thankfully. One thing I’m pleased about getting to apply earlier than previously expected is we will avoid any increase in the IHS payment which may have come in April (or would they have announced it already?) that’s already jumped up by £400 since we last applied. Also glad to hear that we don’t need photos. I can’t remember where I read that one? Thanks for the info once again.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi everyone. I almost have everything ready now but my bank are being difficult when it comes to stamping my bank statements. I don’t know why, as it has never been an issue before. To get round this I have ordered copies of most of them which are going to be delivered soon. However, the last bank statement I need is not due to be created until the 9th March and we are planning on submitting on the 15th Of March. Therefore please can someone answer the following questions:

1) Once we submit the application we have 10 days to upload the documents, is that correct?
2) Do these statements need to be stamped or are they ok because they will have a digital stamp on them as they were issued by the bank?8
3)Do the HO need a FULL 6 months time period of these statements or do they just have to show the deposits for the 6 months of wages? I can bring the date of the last statement forward to the 2nd March. If I do this it will show all 6 months wage deposits but will be a few days short of showing a full 6 months of transactions on the account.
4) Another option I can do is go to my local branch who can print the final statement for me but this will be in black and white. It will contain a digital signature and they can stamp it for me too. Would this be ok if it is black and white while the rest are colour?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:43 pm

ssbib wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:18 pm
1) Once we submit the application we have 10 days to upload the documents, is that correct?
2) Do these statements need to be stamped or are they ok because they will have a digital stamp on them as they were issued by the bank?8
3)Do the HO need a FULL 6 months time period of these statements or do they just have to show the deposits for the 6 months of wages? I can bring the date of the last statement forward to the 2nd March. If I do this it will show all 6 months wage deposits but will be a few days short of showing a full 6 months of transactions on the account.
4) Another option I can do is go to my local branch who can print the final statement for me but this will be in black and white. It will contain a digital signature and they can stamp it for me too. Would this be ok if it is black and white while the rest are colour?
1. Sounds about right, I'm don't think I'm able to access the page where this is stated any longer (the website will provide this information after you submit the application).
2. Only statements not on official bank stationery need to be stamped per Appendix FM-SE.
3. The requirement is not 6 months worth of bank statements, it is bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips.
4. Shouldn't be a problem, nothing specifies whether the documents need to be black and white or in colour. For what it's worth, one of their recommendations for reducing the file size of the uploaded documents is scanning them in black and white; if you did that, it wouldn't matter what the original documents looked like as they would all look the same in the end.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm

geoeng wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:43 pm
ssbib wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:18 pm
1. Sounds about right, I'm don't think I'm able to access the page where this is stated any longer (the website will provide this information after you submit the application).
2. Only statements not on official bank stationery need to be stamped per Appendix FM-SE.
3. The requirement is not 6 months worth of bank statements, it is bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips.
4. Shouldn't be a problem, nothing specifies whether the documents need to be black and white or in colour. For what it's worth, one of their recommendations for reducing the file size of the uploaded documents is scanning them in black and white; if you did that, it wouldn't matter what the original documents looked like as they would all look the same in the end.
1) We don’t have to upload the exact same day though, can you confirm that?
2) So in theory I could just print my online statements and submit those without stamps? They all have the official logos on etc. I don’t know if I would risk that though, just curious.
3) I might move up the date of that last statement then, I can get it early and have plenty of time to scan it.
4) I’ve done a lot of scanning already, it’s been in colour but I’ve made sure each one is less than 5MB as I remember someone saying the limit was 6MB.

Thanks for the support.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:54 pm

ssbib wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm
2) So in theory I could just print my online statements and submit those without stamps? They all have the official logos on etc. I don’t know if I would risk that though, just curious.
3) I might move up the date of that last statement then, I can get it early and have plenty of time to scan it.
4) I’ve done a lot of scanning already, it’s been in colour but I’ve made sure each one is less than 5MB as I remember someone saying the limit was 6MB.
1. Correct.
2. In theory, if the statements are electronically provided to you as a PDF and are the exact same as the ones you would receive in the post, there is no reason to print them at all. I just uploaded the PDF files and had no issues. Obviously a risk you would have to decide whether or not you want to take though as these would technically not be the original document.
4. Yes, file size limit is 6MB. Doesn't matter if they are in colour or black and white as long as they are within the file size limit, it's just one way to reduce the file size so more pages can be fit into the file (though there is no limit I know of as to how many files you can upload).

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:02 pm

geoeng wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:54 pm
ssbib wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm
1. Correct.
2. In theory, if the statements are electronically provided to you as a PDF and are the exact same as the ones you would receive in the post, there is no reason to print them at all. I just uploaded the PDF files and had no issues. Obviously a risk you would have to decide whether or not you want to take though as these would technically not be the original document.
4. Yes, file size limit is 6MB. Doesn't matter if they are in colour or black and white as long as they are within the file size limit, it's just one way to reduce the file size so more pages can be fit into the file (though there is no limit I know of as to how many files you can upload).
That’s interesting that you just uploaded the original document for the bank statements. I wouldn’t do that I don’t think, not when I can get them stamped and uploaded easily enough. I’ve changed the final statement date to the 2nd March, it will show my final pay deposit from work and will give me plenty of time to get it to the branch for stamping and scanning. Thanks once again for all the help.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 pm

I believe geoeng mentioned some time ago in this thread that you have to show proof of things you pay for together, such as rent and council tax etc. My understanding is you only have to do this in very specific circumstances, if you’re under the financial threshold of if you are coming over from certain visas etc yourself. Can anyone confirm if my understanding is correct please?

Lastly we basically have three things to prove with this application:

English language to A2 as minimum
Proof of cohabitation (6 documents each from 3 different sources minimum)
Financial requirements (18,600 with 6 months payslips, corresponding bank statements and works letter)

Is that correct?

Thanks

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:38 am

Please can anyone confirm my understanding of the above? Thanks.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:55 am

ssbib wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 pm
I believe geoeng mentioned some time ago in this thread that you have to show proof of things you pay for together, such as rent and council tax etc. My understanding is you only have to do this in very specific circumstances, if you’re under the financial threshold of if you are coming over from certain visas etc yourself. Can anyone confirm if my understanding is correct please?
Sort of, I suppose. Evidence of joint financial commitments can be used to show a genuine and subsisting relationship and would typically be included in the initial spouse visa application. For an FLR application you must show that you and your partner are living together in the UK (by including items of correspondence as evidence of cohabitation) and a genuine and subsisting relationship becomes rather implied. What I mentioned previously is that the online FLR application will ask for proof of housing costs (rent/mortgage and council tax) but I don't think it matters whether one or both of you actually pays for these. I'm not entirely sure, but these may be optional items, I just know the application asks if you will provide them. Providing this evidence works on a number of levels though as it is also proof of adequate accommodation and can also be used as evidence of cohabitation.
ssbib wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 pm
Lastly we basically have three things to prove with this application:

English language to A2 as minimum
Proof of cohabitation (6 documents each from 3 different sources minimum)
Financial requirements (18,600 with 6 months payslips, corresponding bank statements and works letter)
At a very basic level, yes, those would be the major requirements to meet that you have to provide evidence for (amongst the other suitability, relationship and immigration status requirements).

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Are you required to show proof of these costs coming out of your bank or just the bills themselves? As part of other evidence requirements I am submitting our latest tenancy agreement in both our names and a recent council. Should this be enough or do I need to get bank statements showing those payments also? They come from another account you see from the ones that my wages are put into.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:47 pm

You don't need evidence of what you are paying out.

You simply need 3 sources of cohabitation evidence spread evenly throughout the last 2 years in both names.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:49 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:47 pm
You don't need evidence of what you are paying out.

You simply need 3 sources of cohabitation evidence spread evenly throughout the last 2 years in both names.
That’s perfect, thanks CR001. I have everything I need now. I was able to get my bank statements stamped this morning. Took me 3 trips to various branches but I’ve got everything. I’ll scan everything this weekend in preparation for submission on 14th March. I’ll update you all with the results when they come in.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:44 pm

What’s everyone’s opinion on the following:

I got all my bank statements stamped and I’ve scanned them, but the stamp looks a bit faded and in some cases you can’t read the whole thing. It’s clear enough what it is and is there on every page. Is this good enough or should I get them stamped again and re-scanned? I’ve got the originals now so it won’t be an issue for the bank to stamp them.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:43 pm

ssbib wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:44 pm
I got all my bank statements stamped and I’ve scanned them, but the stamp looks a bit faded and in some cases you can’t read the whole thing. It’s clear enough what it is and is there on every page. Is this good enough or should I get them stamped again and re-scanned? I’ve got the originals now so it won’t be an issue for the bank to stamp them.
If they are statements on official bank stationery, getting them stamped was not absolutely necessary to begin with. So, I wouldn't be too worried if the official statements were stamped but the stamp was a bit faded. Feet up, brew on and try to wait patiently for a decision.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:02 pm

geoeng wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:43 pm
ssbib wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:44 pm
If they are statements on official bank stationery, getting them stamped was not absolutely necessary to begin with. So, I wouldn't be too worried if the official statements were stamped but the stamp was a bit faded. Feet up, brew on and try to wait patiently for a decision.
Overthinking is my specialty. My wife agrees that they are fine. Thanks again geoeng.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:47 pm

We have completed the form today and uploaded documents. Have an appointment for Monday which is pretty good.

One thing that was confusing was in which section to upload the documents on the website. It says use the checklist for guidance but it only listed a few as mandatory documents and the rest didn’t have a designation, and the rest we have had to guess their most relevant section. We put my employment details in “Sponsor/Employment” etc etc. Is this sufficient, does it matter much? Any advice appreciated.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:37 pm

ssbib wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:47 pm
We have completed the form today and uploaded documents. Have an appointment for Monday which is pretty good.

One thing that was confusing was in which section to upload the documents on the website. It says use the checklist for guidance but it only listed a few as mandatory documents and the rest didn’t have a designation, and the rest we have had to guess their most relevant section. We put my employment details in “Sponsor/Employment” etc etc. Is this sufficient, does it matter much? Any advice appreciated.
Self upload of documents is a good idea to have a full control of documents as what have been attached. As long as all necessary documents have been fully attached into its relevant sections then shouldn't be any issue. Still adding a covering letter giving the list of attached documents is not a bad idea.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:54 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:37 pm
ssbib wrote:

Self upload of documents is a good idea to have a full control of documents as what have been attached. As long as all necessary documents have been fully attached into its relevant sections then shouldn't be any issue. Still adding a covering letter giving the list of attached documents is not a bad idea.
We have provided a cover letter for each section (finance, English language etc) that has its own list, so I am hoping that should be enough. I was just concerned that all documents that weren’t listed as “mandatory” should be placed in “other”. Right now they’re spread out in different sections, but not every section has an upload (business for example). Thanks for explaining. Think we are good to go now.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:01 pm

ssbib wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:54 pm
seagul wrote:
ssbib wrote:

We have provided a cover letter for each section (finance, English language etc) that has its own list, so I am hoping that should be enough. I was just concerned that all documents that weren’t listed as “mandatory” should be placed in “other”. Right now they’re spread out in different sections, but not every section has an upload (business for example). Thanks for explaining. Think we are good to go now.
As long as all the necessary documents have been uploaded on the ukvcas website even by mistake into different section but still ukvi will be able to locate them and shouldnt be any issue. Few ILR applicants most often dont find any mention about life in uk test and B1 test on the application form but still they upload these and achieve success.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:04 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:01 pm
ssbib wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:54 pm
seagul wrote:
ssbib wrote:

As long as all the necessary documents have been uploaded on the ukvcas website even by mistake into different section but still ukvi will be able to locate them and shouldnt be any issue. Few ILR applicants most often dont find any mention about life in uk test and B1 test on the application form but still they upload these and achieve success.
I noticed that too for this today. It didn’t mention the A2 test anywhere, only A1 as minimum. I suppose it’s testing whether you had read the extra material in the guidance notes etc. Thanks for the help.

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Wed May 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi again everyone. I hope you are all keeping safe during this time. I just thought I would share the good news with you: my wife's FLR came through today!!

I got a little bit nervous when she turned to me with tears in her eyes and handed me her phone that showed a Home Office letter but it turned out they were tears of joy. All went through swimmingly with no further questions asked.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread and put up with my constant questions about the process. I know I was asking a lot, but you guys had patience with me and we both truly appreciate it.

I'm happy to share my experience or documents with anyone going through the process now so please ask me any messages you may have and I will answer as best as I can.

Thank you once again. Now to go celebrate. Stay safe everyone.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed May 06, 2020 5:35 pm

Glad to hear your success :)

STONEPEE
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by STONEPEE » Wed May 06, 2020 6:18 pm

I have read all your thread but need a bit of clarification
Just a few questions due to your recent experience
I am due to renew my spouse visa which is expiring in July.
1) Do you need evidence of cohabitation for 2 years, spread accordingly from 3 sources?
2) Can anyone help me with this: Can I apply at the end of May? I know is within 28 days of expiring but can you apply before that?

ssbib
United Kingdom

Post by ssbib » Wed May 06, 2020 6:49 pm

STONEPEE wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:18 pm
I have read all your thread but need a bit of clarification
Just a few questions due to your recent experience
I am due to renew my spouse visa which is expiring in July.
1) Do you need evidence of cohabitation for 2 years, spread accordingly from 3 sources?
2) Can anyone help me with this: Can I apply at the end of May? I know is within 28 days of expiring but can you apply before that?
1) I believe that is correct but I too got confused by this. The guides on the official websites say 3 sources only but a lot of my wife’s friends said you need 6 sources each!! I am pretty sure this is incorrect but to be on the safe side I ensured we had 6 sources each, though some were shared, such as our water bill.

2) You can actually apply whenever you want but can only carry over 28 days from the old visa on to the new. You need to have had a total of 60 months at the end of the 2 visa process for ILR. My wife’s initial visa was for 32 months for some reason and ended at the end of May. We waited until 30 months had passed and then applied mid-March and have just been awarded another 30 months. When we go for ILR she will have been in the country for a total of 60 months, which is the minimum requirement for ILR.

I hope my explanation there was clear. If not just ask me anything you need.