ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigrants Opinion of Irish Society

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jamesryan
Newly Registered

Immigrants Opinion of Irish Society

Post by Jamesryan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:29 pm

Hello,
I'm doing research on how immigrants perceive the irish - both the irish people and the government. Any help here would be great.

You do not need to answer the specific questions below, but have you any good or bad experience you could share with me?

Do you enjoy living in Ireland?

What is your attitude towards Irish people?
What do you think their attitude is towards you?

What is your opinion of the Irish government?
Do you think you are being represented by the government?

Do you intend to remain in Ireland or would you prefer
(if it was possible) to return home?

This is for a college presentation. You do not need to tell me your name, but it would help if I knew where you originally come from and how long you have been living in Ireland.

Thanks very much for your time,
I appreciate the help.

All the best,
James Ryan

jamesaryan@hotmail.com

AnandVishwanathan
Newly Registered

Iirish people.

Post by AnandVishwanathan » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:57 pm

hiya,

I am not a immigrant nor do i intend to be, but i would like to answer some of those questions. I was a student there for a year and now i am back home.
Answer: Yes i enjoyed my stay in ireland.
Answer: I found Irish people warm and friendly.
Answer: I can say with 95% confidence (thats statistical way of putting it), that irish people are friendly and welcome foreigners.
Answer: No comments.
Answer: No comments.
Answer: I would certainly like to fly back, spend time in Ireland, but i wouldnt want to go for Irish immigration or naturalization.

Cheers!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A gun never kills anybody, its the person behind the gun who kills

gulgon

Post by gulgon » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:11 pm

I havent lived there yet but I have met plenty of Irish people and in a few weeks I will start living in Dublin (got work permit 2day!). Due to nature of my jobs/residences, I met lots of different nationalities and so I am able to differentiate the Irish people. And I also enjoyed watching "Michael O'Collins" and "Angela's Ashes", so had a better idea of that nation's past as well.

All Irish people I have met, really without any exceptance, have been very and very friendly, warm, passionate, tolerant, smiling, open-minded, adventerous,...

If I need to give a score out of 10 to nationalities' level of warmness/tolerance/acceptance of foreigners/open-mindedness; Irish 9, English 1 (yes 1!), Belgian 8 (6 for flemish ones), French 5, Spanish 7, Turkish 7, Eastern Europeans 6, Germans 6, Dutch 8, Americans 8... So I would give the highest score to Irish!

In terms of politics, I admire Irish tendency for EU support and acceptance of euro. And I definetely would support Ireland's opposition to the dependancy on the UK (English government indeed). For a long time in the past Ireland suffered from the barbaric and exploiting English empire. With the EU prospect, Ireland has accomplished to have more trade/political partners, so UK is no more a necessity...

I hope this has made a sense. I will follow your discussion.

geekbo
Newly Registered

Post by geekbo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:03 pm

***YES

The Irish are generally extremly friendly & helpful & genuinely concerned by the well-being of others.
***They have always had a very good attitude towards me. However I have hear reports that the Chinese have a hard time here, but I havn't seen any of it or rather haven't had much dealing wth it not being chinese myself

***Being a forgeiner in a forgein country I doubt one can really expect to be represented by any government.

***Been living here for nearly 4 years & went "home" for the first time a few weeks ago. Ireland is my home now. I hope they will keep me.

qasmahara
Newly Registered

Post by qasmahara » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:51 pm

Not too much so far. The country is very nice but I had a couple of bad experiences with the people.

I would like to be friendly but some of them piss me off.

They were very dearly beloved in a couple of circumstances.

There seem to be little control on prices...everybody does what he likes...but have no opinion on other issues...overall I think it must not be so bad

I am a non-national.That answers your question.

Home?Never.
Remain?Depends if the experiences I had are just one off unfortunate experiences or not.

Thanks.