ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony cancelled due to covid

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Duded2002
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Citizenship ceremony cancelled due to covid

Post by Duded2002 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Hi all, my citizenship ceremony on 17th March was cancelled when I went to attend the ceremony and no date in future seems to have been published. Can someone please update once they know the ceremonies have resumed. Also the letter said 5th Feb so I'm guessing 5th of Aug would be the last day I can attend the ceremony? I'm really worried and stressed about this. Thank you in advance

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship ceremony cancelled due to covid

Post by CULLINAN » Sun May 10, 2020 10:46 pm

Duded2002 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:10 pm
Hi all, my citizenship ceremony on 17th March was cancelled when I went to attend the ceremony and no date in future seems to have been published. Can someone please update once they know the ceremonies have resumed. Also the letter said 5th Feb so I'm guessing 5th of Aug would be the last day I can attend the ceremony? I'm really worried and stressed about this. Thank you in advance
You will not be penalised for delay in attending the ceremony. For now, all ceremonies are on hold and cancelled. Once normal operations resume you will be notified.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 11, 2020 9:32 am

Duded2002 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:10 pm
Can someone please update once they know the ceremonies have resumed.
Ceremonies are organised by your local council and different councils organise them to different schedules. Your best bet is to contact the local council who will advise you of when they plan to restart citizenship ceremonies.

You may also want to look at organising a private ceremony with them, which will likely cost more.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Polka909
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Polka909 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:30 am

Hi all,
Post announcement by the government last night (which wasn’t very clear to me) but it seems that it is encouraged to resume activities taking strict precautions. Can people please contact their councils to see if they are offering ceremonies now (private or public).
And share with group here so everyone is aware of what councils are doing.

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:52 pm

Nope ceremonies aren't going ahead. They're not essential. I called my council today and they said it's too early to say when the ceremonies will resume. And last night's announcement encouraged people to work from home and observe lockdown unless that's hindering essential business activity. I don't see ceremonies resuming anytime soon since they're not essential. The Home Office are already relaxing their rules about how soon ceremonies need to be booked after a positive decision so don't worry too much.

For myself and several others who applied in February 2020 the Home office said our applications were decided in March although we have not received decision letters as yet even two months later to book in any ceremonies at all. Tells you about the priority of things given its a pandemic. So be patient

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Moa7 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:52 pm
Nope ceremonies aren't going ahead. They're not essential. I called my council today and they said it's too early to say when the ceremonies will resume. And last night's announcement encouraged people to work from home and observe lockdown unless that's hindering essential business activity. I don't see ceremonies resuming anytime soon since they're not essential. The Home Office are already relaxing their rules about how soon ceremonies need to be booked after a positive decision so don't worry too much.

For myself and several others who applied in February 2020 the Home office said our applications were decided in March although we have not received decision letters as yet even two months later to book in any ceremonies at all. Tells you about the priority of things given its a pandemic. So be patient
Forgot to say my council told me they haven't received any citizenship certificates from the Home Office since March and obviously they can't hold ceremonies if they don't have the certificates so it's really not in the council's hands alone