ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish association

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Irish association

Post by zaza7625 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi.
I have acquired my irish citizenship residing in Ireland 5 years bases by Zambrano as my child is an irish citizen by birth.
As I know, person can acquire citizenship by birth, by descent, by naturalisation or by irish association
I have A question regarding to this:
Which of these above mentioned options refer to me?
Birth and descent do not refer to my whatsoever

Thanks

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Re: Irish association

Post by zaza7625 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am

Hi all
I acquired irish citizenship by my child as he is irish national by birth based on zambrano.
Question: is my citizenship base on as irish association? The law says that irish citizenship can be acquired by blood.
Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 am

You acquired your Stamp 4 based on your child. You applied for naturalisation based on 5-year reckonable residence, not based on Irish associations. There is no such thing as citizenship by ‘blood’. Having an Irish child does not mean you can obtain citizenship from your child. It is only technically and theoretically possible to apply for citizenship based on Irish associations but this is certainly not a convincing case.

Granista
BANNED
American Samoa

Post by Granista » Fri May 15, 2020 11:22 am

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 am
There is no such thing as citizenship by ‘blood’.
Yes there is. Ireland, like many other countries, passes on citizenship via a principle of "jus sanguinis" which literally means "right of blood". If one or both of your parents is an Irish citizen at your birth then you are an Irish citizen "by blood" no matter what country you were born in. This can carry on indefinitely through the generations as long as the Foreign Births Register is maintained before the next generation is born.

Of course we also used to have a principle of "jus soli" (right by soil) as well, meaning anyone born on the island of Ireland was Irish, but not anymore.