ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying via Grandparent - Parent not an Irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lesleyahall
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Applying via Grandparent - Parent not an Irish citizen

Post by lesleyahall » Thu May 14, 2020 10:38 am

Hi,

I want to apply for Irish citizenship via my grandmother who was born in Ireland and now lives in the UK. Her children were born in Ireland apart from my mother who was born in England after they moved there. My mother's birth was never registered on the Foreign Births Register, so she is not registered as an Irish citizen like her siblings.

I have 3 questions:

1. I am reading conflicting information on whether I need my mother to be on the FBR before I can apply for citizenship. Can you tell me if this is the case?

2. My mother wishes to apply for citizenship as well. Do you know whether it is possible to submit our applications together, because we both need to submit the same supporting certified documents.

3. If it is not possible to submit the applications together, will it be acceptable for me to submit official copies of her's and my grandmother's marriage and birth certificates for my application?

Many thanks for your help :)

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Applying via Grandparent - Parent not an Irish citizen

Post by jgclancy » Thu May 14, 2020 12:54 pm

Answer to question 1: Your mother does NOT need to be on the FBR for you to apply for Irish citizenship via your grandmother. You are applying based on your grandparent being born in Ireland. That is the only necessary criteria.My mother is deceased and did not do the FBR-it doesn't matter for me to apply via my grandfather.You are the same.

Answer to question 2: People can apply at the same time using some of the same documents. I've known siblings and cousins that have done just it. I can't see why a parent & child couldn't as well. You just have to make sure that all documents are included and well labeled. A letter should be included explaining everything. I would make sure the documents for each person are in separate , well labeled folders.
I had three folders sent inside of one big manila envelope. My application & documents/my mother's documents/my grandfather's.You can put both application #'s on your mother & grandparents folders.Just your app # on your folder. I also listed which documents were in each folder.

Remember...this will take over a year to process from the date it is accepted in Dublin. You will hear little and get no documents back until the year is up.Good luck.
jgclanc

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Only you need to apply for FBR via your grandmother. Your mother is automatically an Irish citizen and can apply for an Irish passport right away. She just needs to provide proof that her mother (your grandmother) was born in the island of Ireland at the time of her birth.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu May 14, 2020 2:30 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm
Only you need to apply for FBR via your grandmother. Your mother is automatically an Irish citizen and can apply for an Irish passport right away. She just needs to provide proof that her mother (your grandmother) was born in the island of Ireland at the time of her birth.
Quite right! I forgot that the rules had changed.
" You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, and was born on the island of Ireland. You don't need to apply to become an Irish citizen in this case."

jgclancy

lesleyahall
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lesleyahall » Fri May 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Thank you so much for your replies, all really helpful. I've now submitted the FBR online form and will send off the supporting documents. Looks like I'm in for a long wait :)