ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR on Refugee Settlement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

matt14

ILR on Refugee Settlement

Post by matt14 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi, I was granted ILR more than a year ago on the Refugee Settlement route. Before I could apply for British citizenship, covid-19 arrived and closed all Life in the UK tests. The situation right now is that my father is severely ill in my home country and I am thinking whether it is a good idea to visit him.

I am aware of the danger to my life in my home country but I am willing to take the risk just to see my father at this time. But I am not sure if the UK will allow me to return afterwards.

So my question is: Can I explain the situation to UKVI and ask them to return my national passport - without putting my ILR in danger?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR on Refugee Settlement

Post by CR001 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Would you need to apply for your countries passport to travel??

See page 17/18 onwards.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0_EXT.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

matt14

Post by matt14 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks for your response.

This is actually a very good point. I forgot the fact that my national passport expired ages ago and I currently have a Travel Document which expired at the time of my ILR application - as I had no intentions/plans of travelling, I never bothered renewing it. But this covid-19 situation has affected things so drastically.

Do you think these rules apply to people with ILR? Considering that I am no longer a refugee but a person with 'Indefinite' Leave to Remain... Apologies for these questions, my brain is working at limited capacity due to severe depression and I am not making any sense even to myself. Covid-19 and lockdown effects.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Do you think these rules apply to people with ILR? Considering that I am no longer a refugee but a person with 'Indefinite' Leave to Remain... Apologies for these questions, my brain is working at limited capacity due to severe depression and I am not making any sense even to myself. Covid-19 and lockdown effects.
Yes, they most certainly apply to a refugee who holds ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

matt14

Post by matt14 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Thanks for your help. I guess I will just have to write to HO, explain the situation and see if they allow me to visit for a few days.