ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What documents to upload when applying for Naturalisation using Settled Status?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jpl
Newly Registered
European Union

What documents to upload when applying for Naturalisation using Settled Status?

Post by jpl » Wed May 13, 2020 3:29 pm

Hello,

I'm about to send in my naturalisation application, and so at the moment I'm trying to gather all the documents I'll need for when UKVCAS eventually open up after lockdown. However, I'm really confused about what documents I actually need to provide as part of the application.

I applied for and was awarded ILR under the EU settlement scheme (Settled Status) in May 2019, and I'm applying for citizenship on that basis. I've lived in the UK since 2012, first as a student and then working full-time.

In my application, I've ticked 'Yes' to the question
Are you either:
An EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence document
A family member of an EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence card
and then selected "Indefinite leave to remain (ILR), including ILR granted under the EU Settlement Scheme" under the question
What will you use to apply for British citizenship?
Now, under the documents list at the end of the application, I've been asked to provide proof of the following:
  • Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated person
  • If you spent some of that time in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, and had comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), a copy of your sickness insurance policy
  • evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions (I guess this would be a copy the settlement scheme ILR award letter?)
  • Proof of living in the UK for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
Am I right in thinking that all these are mostly proven already through my settled status, and that I only need to upload proof of having continued to live here since last year when my ILR was awarded?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What documents to upload when applying for Naturalisation using Settled Status?

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:33 pm

jpl wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:29 pm
Now, under the documents list at the end of the application, I've been asked to provide proof of the following:
  • Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated person
  • If you spent some of that time in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, and had comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), a copy of your sickness insurance policy
  • evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions (I guess this would be a copy the settlement scheme ILR award letter?)
  • Proof of living in the UK for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
Am I right in thinking that all these are mostly proven already through my settled status, and that I only need to upload proof of having continued to live here since last year when my ILR was awarded?
No, that is not correct that it is only since ILR under the settlement scheme has been granted. You have to provide evidence that you were residence for the whole 5 years immediately preceding the date of application for citizenship. It makes no difference that you had to provide evidence etc for PR or ILR Settled Scheme, which is an application under the immigration rules. Citizenship is an application under the nationality laws and completely separate and independent with its own mandatory requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jpl
Newly Registered
European Union

Re: What documents to upload when applying for Naturalisation using Settled Status?

Post by jpl » Wed May 13, 2020 3:45 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:33 pm
No, that is not correct that it is only since ILR under the settlement scheme has been granted. You have to provide evidence that you were residence for the whole 5 years immediately preceding the date of application for citizenship. It makes no difference that you had to provide evidence etc for PR or ILR Settled Scheme, which is an application under the immigration rules. Citizenship is an application under the nationality laws and completely separate and independent with its own mandatory requirements.
I see. Thanks for the clarification - glad I asked!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:48 pm

You need P60s etc. Not bank statements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Stefan Piatek
Poland

Post by Stefan Piatek » Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:33 pm
Citizenship is an application under the nationality laws and completely separate and independent with its own mandatory requirements.
Dear CR001

I have a question and was wondering if you could help. My daughters came to Scotland in 2014, and I was working then; we are EU citizens. The older went to high school for two years, and in 2016 she started uni (full-time). She worked in summer 2016 and summer 2017 but didn't work in between. She was treated as a Scottish student, and SAAS paid her fees. My younger daughter went to uni in 2019 after finishing high school and was working in the summer before uni. She was on 0h contract, so she still worked occasionally.

Both of my daughters obtained the pre-settled status in February 2019 and settled status in October 2019. We were never made aware of the CSI and never paid it. When we were leaving for holidays, both daughters received British cards (EHIC), and I thought that it confirms that they are insured.

Do you think that not having CSI may end up being an issue while applying for citizenship?