ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa extension - IELTS required?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abelardp
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse visa extension - IELTS required?

Post by abelardp » Sat May 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a comprehensive list of spouse visa extension requirements? Is it correct that the applicant will need to take IELTS again (after getting a very high mark when getting the original spouse visa 2.5 years ago, as I believe they expire after 2 years)?

Also, if test centres are currently closed due to Covid-19, can you still apply online before your visa expires, and then provide test results, etc, later?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse visa extension - IELTS required?

Post by CR001 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:55 pm

A2 English level minimum for an extension.

You need passports, brp card, evidence of meeting the financial requirment, 2 years evidence of cohabitation from 3 to 6 sources in both your names.
Also, if test centres are currently closed due to Covid-19, can you still apply online before your visa expires, and then provide test results, etc, later?
Yes. You must apply and submit online before visa expires.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 pm

abelardp wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:47 pm
Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a comprehensive list of spouse visa extension requirements?
There are several post available which you can search yourself. On extension stage the documents will be almost similar except evidences of subsisting relationship would be replaced by 2 years of proofs of cohabitation whereas A1 will be replaced by A2 ielts test whilst same financial & accomodation requirement.
abelardp wrote:
Is it correct that the applicant will need to take IELTS again (after getting a very high mark when getting the original spouse visa 2.5 years ago, as I believe they expire after 2 years)?
If that test was higher than A1 such as A2/B1 then still can be considered provided still on ukvi list.
abelardp wrote:

Many thanks
Yes.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

abelardp
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by abelardp » Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 pm

Her IELTS score was 8.5, which I believe is C2 (she's fluent), do you mean that even if it has expired it's worth looking into whether it may be valid? It's just annoying to have to pay like £150 to take an exam again.

Many thanks for such quick replies to my first post, you provide wonderful assistance to so many people.

abelardp
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by abelardp » Sat May 16, 2020 8:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:55 pm
A2 English level minimum for an extension.

You need passports, brp card, evidence of meeting the financial requirment, 2 years evidence of cohabitation from 3 to 6 sources in both your names.
Yes. You must apply and submit online before visa expires.
in terms of 3 to 6 sources, I assume that if we can provide multiple pieces of evidence showing us at the same address, but in single names (not joint statements, etc), that is permissable?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Yes that is fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat May 16, 2020 8:15 pm

abelardp wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 pm
Her IELTS score was 8.5, which I believe is C2 (she's fluent), do you mean that even if it has expired it's worth looking into whether it may be valid? It's just annoying to have to pay like £150 to take an exam again.

Many thanks for such quick replies to my first post, you provide wonderful assistance to so many people.
Was it accepted previously? Is that Academic general? Does it have UKVI reference number on it? If yes to all then more likely it would be accepted again even expired.
abelardp wrote:
in terms of 3 to 6 sources, I assume that if we can provide multiple pieces of evidence showing us at the same address, but in single names (not joint statements, etc), that is permissable?
Yes 6 in each name from 3 sources with even gaps of 3-4 months covering the last 2 years.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

abelardp
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by abelardp » Sat May 16, 2020 8:28 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:15 pm
abelardp wrote:

Was it accepted previously? Is that Academic general? Does it have UKVI reference number on it? If yes to all then more likely it would be accepted again even expired.
abelardp wrote:
Yes 6 in each name from 3 sources with even gaps of 3-4 months covering the last 2 years.
It was General, and was accepted, we'll have to see if it has UKVI number on it.

Many thanks again for your quick replies.

abelardp
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by abelardp » Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 pm

Sorry, one further question, do you need to take another tuberculosis test for a visa extension (if from one of the countries on the Home Office list)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 pm

abelardp wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 pm
Sorry, one further question, do you need to take another tuberculosis test for a visa extension (if from one of the countries on the Home Office list)?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

abelardp
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by abelardp » Sat May 16, 2020 8:51 pm

CR001 wrote:
abelardp wrote:
No.
Thank you.

Do you know where/if we can find out if an expired IELTS test will count? It was General IELTS, score 8.5, and the certificate has a UKVI number on it.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat May 16, 2020 9:51 pm

32D. If an applicant applying for limited leave to enter or remain under Part 8 or Appendix FM submits an English language test certificate or result and the Home Office has already accepted it as part of a successful previous partner or parent application (but not where the application was refused, even if on grounds other than the English language requirement), the decision-maker will accept that certificate or result as valid if it is:
(a) from a provider which is no longer approved, or
(b) from a provider who remains approved but the test the applicant has taken with that provider is no longer approved, or
(c) from a test centre which is no longer approved, or
(d) past its validity date (if a validity date is required), provided that it is at or above the requisite level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and when the subsequent application is made:
(i) the applicant has had continuous leave (disregarding any current period of overstaying where paragraph 39E of these Rules applies, as well as any previous period of overstaying where: the further application was made before 24 November 2016 and within 28 days of the expiry of leave; or the further application was made on or after 24 November 2016 and paragraph 39E of these Rules applied) as a partner or parent since the Home Office accepted the test certificate as valid; and
(ii) the award to the applicant does not fall within the circumstances set out in paragraph 32B of this Appendix.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... d-evidence
Please note that both General and Academic Training modules are accepted. The CEFR requirement for each skill must be met.

IELTS for UKVI can be used where IELTS Life Skills is used; test takers would need to get 4.0 or above in Speaking and Listening (scores for Reading and Writing will be ignored).
https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ta ... ukvi/score