ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please, can anyone help me with B1 English test.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

youngzen
Newly Registered
China

Please, can anyone help me with B1 English test.

Post by youngzen » Fri May 22, 2020 9:53 am

I will submit my ILR application in June, but I can't book a B1 test yet.
I have an old B1 certificate which is not "from one of the providers on the current SELT list".
So I need a fresh one. But can't do the test in these few months because outbreak of COVID-19.
Now I can see some test centres start to take advanced bookings, and closest ones are from July.
But I can't book a test with their systems because my BRP card expires in June.
What should I do? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Rambo_ILR
India

Re: Please, can anyone help me with B1 English test.

Post by Rambo_ILR » Fri May 22, 2020 12:03 pm

We are in the same situation, My partner took the B1 exam back in 2019. But the test center has been removed in the updated list. We managed to book for end of June.

I also spoke to customer service of the test center, they suggest to show UKVI that you have booked the test but you couldn't able to attend as the test centers are closed due to COVID-19 or show your bookings information which are due to be taken. She also suggested to submit old B1 certificates even if they are not the current list. But its totally up to UKVI to make the decision on this!

youngzen
Newly Registered
China

Post by youngzen » Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Thanks for your advice!
Also got some useful information from languagecert.
If you have already had your visa extended to 31 May 2020 you visa will be extended automatically to 31 July 2020.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents
Stay updated with languagecert test centres.
https://selt.languagecert.org/support#2 ... E7133A4960
How does COVID-19 affect your UK visa English language exam?
https://selt.languagecert.org/UK-Visa-E ... d-Covid-19
Trinity should update their booking system according to the situation.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 pm

If the test was previously accepted in the successful grant of visa then may be accepted again under paragraph 32D:
32D. If an applicant applying for limited leave to enter or remain under Part 8 or Appendix FM submits an English language test certificate or result and the Home Office has already accepted it as part of a successful previous partner or parent application (but not where the application was refused, even if on grounds other than the English language requirement), the decision-maker will accept that certificate or result as valid if it is:
(a) from a provider which is no longer approved, or
(b) from a provider who remains approved but the test the applicant has taken with that provider is no longer approved, or

(c) from a test centre which is no longer approved, or
(d) past its validity date (if a validity date is required), provided that it is at or above the requisite level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and when the subsequent application is made
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... d-evidence
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

youngzen
Newly Registered
China

Post by youngzen » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks, but what I read is here.

Knowledge of language and life in
the UK
Version 24.0
This guidance tells you about the knowledge of language and life requirement for
those applying for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or British citizenship

Published for Home Office staff on 05 March 2020

Indefinite leave applications
The English language test must have been taken no more than 2 years before the
date of application. However, tests that have been taken more than 2 years ago and
have since expired can still be accepted where both of the following apply. The
qualification:
• is from one of the providers on the current SELT list
• has previously been accepted by us as part of another immigration application,
such as for entry clearance
A qualification that is not from one of the providers on the current SELT list, is not
acceptable even if previously accepted by us as part of another application

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:01 pm

Correct. If the test provider is not on the list anymore, you must sit for a new approved test (B1 SELT)

https://www.trinitycollege.com/qualific ... SE-grade-5
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

youngzen
Newly Registered
China

Post by youngzen » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:31 pm

Thanks for confirming that, Zimba.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:37 pm

youngzen wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:44 pm
Thanks, but what I read is here.

Knowledge of language and life in
the UK
Version 24.0
This guidance tells you about the knowledge of language and life requirement for
those applying for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or British citizenship

Published for Home Office staff on 05 March 2020

Indefinite leave applications
The English language test must have been taken no more than 2 years before the
date of application. However, tests that have been taken more than 2 years ago and
have since expired can still be accepted where both of the following apply. The
qualification:
• is from one of the providers on the current SELT list
• has previously been accepted by us as part of another immigration application,
such as for entry clearance
A qualification that is not from one of the providers on the current SELT list, is not
acceptable even if previously accepted by us as part of another application
Perhaps the new guidance hasn't included paragraph 32D rather only based on paragraph 32C which isn't new and is stated in previously given official link.
32C. If an applicant applying for limited leave to enter or remain under Part 8 or Appendix FM submits an English language test certificate or result which has ceased by the date of application to be:
(a) from an approved test provider, or
(b) in respect of an approved test, or
(c) from an approved test centre, the decision-maker will not accept that certificate or result as valid, unless the decision-maker does so in accordance with paragraph 32D of this Appendix and subject to any transitional arrangements made in respect of the test provider, test or test centre in question.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.