ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU1 - documents for EU treaty rights application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

qaz12315
Newly Registered
India

EU1 - documents for EU treaty rights application

Post by qaz12315 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi!
I am collecting documents for my EU Treary Rights Application currently. I would appreciate if you could provide some advice based on your experience so far.

Me and my spouse are currently living on a shared basis. We have two seperate lease agreements to our name.In your opinion will that be a problem?

We do not have utility bills in either of our name as they are in the houseowner's name. At the most we can provide bank statements from our respective banks with the same address on them. Is it mandatory to have a joint account or will indiviudal bank statements suffice?

With regrads to the RTB letter, I emailed EU Treaty Rigths Division,asking about the RTB letter and they said if the houseowner was living on premises, then I just need to provide a letter from her stating that she is exempt from RTB registration.

Has the Immigration ever contacted landlords to confirm the addresses?

My current permission is valid till October 2020. Do I need to wait till I am close to the date when the current permission expires or should I apply anyway?

I apologize for this long post. If anyone can share their most recent experiences with the EU Treay Rights application, that would be of great help.

Lj0123
United Kingdom

Re: EU1 - documents for EU treaty rights application

Post by Lj0123 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:17 pm

qaz12315 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:59 pm
Hi!
I am collecting documents for my EU Treary Rights Application currently. I would appreciate if you could provide some advice based on your experience so far.

Me and my spouse are currently living on a shared basis. We have two seperate lease agreements to our name.In your opinion will that be a problem?

We do not have utility bills in either of our name as they are in the houseowner's name. At the most we can provide bank statements from our respective banks with the same address on them. Is it mandatory to have a joint account or will indiviudal bank statements suffice?

With regrads to the RTB letter, I emailed EU Treaty Rigths Division,asking about the RTB letter and they said if the houseowner was living on premises, then I just need to provide a letter from her stating that she is exempt from RTB registration.

My current permission is valid till October 2020. Do I need to wait till I am close to the date when the current permission expires or should I apply anyway?

I apologize for this long post. If anyone can share their most recent experiences with the EU Treay Rights application, that would be of great help.

You are living together as a married couple sharing with the homeowner but they gave you 2 separate tenancy agreements? That’s unusual. Even unmarried couples would have a joint tenancy agreement.

When my partner and I applied, we included a written statement to address any documents (or lack of) that could be an issue and explain reasoning to immigration officer. Rather than leaving open to interpretation.

Granista
BANNED
American Samoa

Post by Granista » Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm

Are you actually married?

Having no joint documents is going to look pretty dodgy. Do you have a tenancy agreement for a room each? You wouldn't have one each for sharing a room, that would be too weird. Single bank statements, single tenancy agreements, no RTB, no utilty bills.....you're not going to look like a legit couple on paper. Can you prove you actually live together and how long you have done so for?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 22, 2020 7:05 pm

My spouse and I have no joint account whatsoever. It is just not our thing to do.

Back when I was renting, the tenancy agreement has my name only on it. All utility bills are on me. My spouse has a bank statement and a college letter/employment letter confirming the address. We also showed financial interdependency (she transfers money to me every month to cover a part of living cost) and around 20 screenshots from our Facebook pages showing that we do stupid things together.
We were not asked for any additional document.

You should always try to make your case more convincing though. Ask the landlord to issue you a letter with both names on it, confirming that you two are living together. Have a health insurance policy with both names on it. Have regular financial transactions between the two of you etc. The onus is on you to convince the immigration officer that you two are actually cohabitating.

qaz12315
Newly Registered
India

Post by qaz12315 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:48 am

Thanks for your response.We were not married when we moved in here.This was in June 2018.We got married in January 2020. We have two separate rooms to our name, and hence the two separate tenancy agreements. The rooms are different sizes and have different rents.

Ofcourse, we were planning to rent an apartment altogether to ourselves, but COVID-19 put all plans to a halt.Given the current situation and the housing market, that might take a while.So that's why I was wondering if I should wait till we get an apartment since we will have more proof on paper, or just apply and explain the situation.

Lj0123 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:17 pm
qaz12315 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:59 pm
Hi!

You are living together as a married couple sharing with the homeowner but they gave you 2 separate tenancy agreements? That’s unusual. Even unmarried couples would have a joint tenancy agreement.

When my partner and I applied, we included a written statement to address any documents (or lack of) that could be an issue and explain reasoning to immigration officer. Rather than leaving open to interpretation.

qaz12315
Newly Registered
India

Post by qaz12315 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:53 am

Yes, we are indeed. As I mentioned in another reply, we got married in Jan 2020. Yes, we have a tenancy agreement to one room each, and not for one shared room. That would definitely look weird.
I presume, a letter from the homeowner stating that she is exempt from RTB registration and confirming that we live on premises should make up for the lack of documents in our names.At least, I hope so.

Granista wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Are you actually married?

Having no joint documents is going to look pretty dodgy. Do you have a tenancy agreement for a room each? You wouldn't have one each for sharing a room, that would be too weird. Single bank statements, single tenancy agreements, no RTB, no utilty bills.....you're not going to look like a legit couple on paper. Can you prove you actually live together and how long you have done so for?

qaz12315
Newly Registered
India

Post by qaz12315 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:00 am

Thanks for your reply.
I agree with you. Every couple has their own choice to manage their finances. Joint accounts or not, should a personal preference.
For us at the moment, it would be same as you mentioned, "not our thing". But maybe in the future.
I have a private medical insurance from my college, but only my name, as required by the law.I guess, if required, I might have to take out a policy in our names.
We do have pictures from our trips together. So I guess I could send them if required.

Agreed, the onus is on the applicant to convince the immigration officer.

Thanks for your time and reply.

littlerr wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:05 pm
My spouse and I have no joint account whatsoever. It is just not our thing to do.

Back when I was renting, the tenancy agreement has my name only on it. All utility bills are on me. My spouse has a bank statement and a college letter/employment letter confirming the address. We also showed financial interdependency (she transfers money to me every month to cover a part of living cost) and around 20 screenshots from our Facebook pages showing that we do stupid things together.
We were not asked for any additional document.

You should always try to make your case more convincing though. Ask the landlord to issue you a letter with both names on it, confirming that you two are living together. Have a health insurance policy with both names on it. Have regular financial transactions between the two of you etc. The onus is on you to convince the immigration officer that you two are actually cohabitating.

Ntembwa
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ntembwa » Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Talking from my own experience, I was awarded stamp 4 euFam 2 years ago. My husband is Brit. When we arrived in Ireland we rented a room in owners house. The owner wrote a letter for immigration to that effect which was in both our names.Then for PRTB again we wrote a letter to immigration explaining that were only renting a room as such we could not supply PRTB. We also explained that the owner also had no PRTB letter.
As for Bank accounts we opened a joint bank account. Anything we didn't have we wrote a letter and explained. The owners is on you to prove the legit of your relationship. However it doesn't look good in their eyes is for you have no joint bank accounts, separate lease agreements, etc.

qaz12315
Newly Registered
India

Post by qaz12315 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Ntembwa wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm
Talking from my own experience, I was awarded stamp 4 euFam 2 years ago. My husband is Brit. When we arrived in Ireland we rented a room in owners house. The owner wrote a letter for immigration to that effect which was in both our names.Then for PRTB again we wrote a letter to immigration explaining that were only renting a room as such we could not supply PRTB. We also explained that the owner also had no PRTB letter.
As for Bank accounts we opened a joint bank account. Anything we didn't have we wrote a letter and explained. The owners is on you to prove the legit of your relationship. However it doesn't look good in their eyes is for you have no joint bank accounts, separate lease agreements, etc.

Granista
BANNED
American Samoa

Post by Granista » Thu May 28, 2020 1:39 pm

Of course its your choice to have your finances as you like, but if you want a residency permission based on being married and you have no documents that suggest you are genuinely married, you're the one suffering when you get turned down! If you want to make it harder for yourself its up to you entirely.