ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship applications in a family

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

estuarie
United Kingdom

Citizenship applications in a family

Post by estuarie » Sat May 30, 2020 12:22 am

Good day,

I got my ILR last year via the Entrepreneur Accelerated route and will be eligible to apply for citizenship this autumn. My dependants (spouse and two non-UK-born children) extended their visas and can apply for ILRs this December.

My understanding is that the children can apply for citizenship registration straight after they get ILRs and do not need to wait for 12 months if they were resident in the UK for the last two years. Is that correct?

Is there any benefit in postponing my citizenship application and applying jointly with my children after they got their ILRs?

I would greatly appreciate your response

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship applications in a family

Post by zimba » Sat May 30, 2020 3:06 am

estuarie wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:22 am
Good day,

I got my ILR last year via the Entrepreneur Accelerated route and will be eligible to apply for citizenship this autumn. My dependants (spouse and two non-UK-born children) extended their visas and can apply for ILRs this December.

My understanding is that the children can apply for citizenship registration straight after they get ILRs and do not need to wait for 12 months if they were resident in the UK for the last two years. Is that correct?

Is there any benefit in postponing my citizenship application and applying jointly with my children after they got their ILRs?

I would greatly appreciate your response
If you got ILR via the 3 year accelerated Tier 1E route, have you been in the UK for at least 5 years to be eligible for citizenship ?? That is required !

Non-UK born children born to non-British parents have no entitlement to British citizenship at all. After getting ILR, they can only be registered for citizenship when you are British and your spouse at least holds ILR. Their registration will be discretionary
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

estuarie
United Kingdom

Post by estuarie » Sat May 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Zimba wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:06 am
If you got ILR via the 3 year accelerated Tier 1E route, have you been in the UK for at least 5 years to be eligible for citizenship ?? That is required !
Yes
Zimba wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:06 am
Non-UK born children born to non-British parents have no entitlement to British citizenship at all. After getting ILR, they can only be registered for citizenship when you are British and your spouse at least holds ILR. Their registration will be discretionary
All right. Even so, they have to apply for it, and the questions of timing remain.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Makes no difference if you wait and apply with the children or apply separately.

Each person applying must meet the requirements individually.

Children can only apply once they have ilr and you are already British or applying at the same time and the other parent holds ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

estuarie
United Kingdom

Post by estuarie » Sat May 30, 2020 1:04 pm

Thank you

Is there a requirement for children to hold ILRs for 12 months before applying for citizenship registration?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:14 pm

estuarie wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:04 pm
Thank you

Is there a requirement for children to hold ILRs for 12 months before applying for citizenship registration?
No!! Only the requirements as I have already stated.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.