ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa education financial help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mili234
Newly Registered
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Spouse visa education financial help

Post by Mili234 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to finally understand what are my rights when it comes to education.
I am non EU spouse of UK citizen, I am on my first extension of spouse visa and I have been in the UK for longer than 3 years now.

I would like to study Masters degree, but I don't understand am I finally allowed to borrow money for my course fee. I want to understand this before I go to university and break my heart again when they tell me that I am supposed to pay double that UK/EU citizens pay and that I am not entitled to any financial help.

Does anyone have real life experience with this situation? I only want to borrow money for the course fee, not for living expenses.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse visa education financial help

Post by seagul » Sun May 31, 2020 8:12 pm

Your nationality or residency status
You can apply if all of the following apply:

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
you normally live in England
you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
You can also apply if you’ve been given settled status (‘indefinite leave to remain’) because you’ve been the victim of domestic violence.

Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

refugee
humanitarian protection
EEA migrant worker
child of a Swiss national
child of a Turkish worker
a stateless person (including eligible family members) and you’re a new student starting on or after 1 August 2018
granted leave to remain or a child of someone granted leave to remain
granted ‘Calais leave’ to remain or a child of someone granted ‘Calais leave’ to remain - your course started on or after 1 August 2020 and you’ve lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course
You may also be eligible if you’re not a UK national and are either:

from an EU country
under 18 and have lived in the UK for at least 7 years
18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half of your life)
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.