ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Settlement Scheme and 12 months

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

manuelaux

EU Settlement Scheme and 12 months

Post by manuelaux » Sun May 31, 2020 1:23 pm

Hello everyone. I would like to apply for UK citizenship but I am still confused.

I am a Croatian citizen. Here is my timeline:

2010 arrived to the UK under Tier 1 (issued for 2 years period)
2012 I have applied and extended my Tier 1 visa for the next 3 years
2013 Croatia becomes an EU member so I became an EU citizen
… I continued to live in the UK as a EU citizen
2020 (May) I applied under EU Settlement Scheme and got my ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’

Now I would like to apply for the citizenship but the guidance stays:

>>>
You’ll usually be able to apply for citizenship if you’re over 18 and have had one of the following for 12 months:
- ‘settled status’ (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’)

<<<

My question is: Do I really have to wait 12 more months to apply for the citizenship? I have been resident for the last 10 years?

zcranso
Newly Registered
Greece

Re: EU Settlement Scheme and 12 months

Post by zcranso » Sun May 31, 2020 1:54 pm

manuelaux wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:23 pm
Hello everyone. I would like to apply for UK citizenship but I am still confused.

I am a Croatian citizen. Here is my timeline:

2010 arrived to the UK under Tier 1 (issued for 2 years period)
2012 I have applied and extended my Tier 1 visa for the next 3 years
2013 Croatia becomes an EU member so I became an EU citizen
… I continued to live in the UK as a EU citizen
2020 (May) I applied under EU Settlement Scheme and got my ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’

Now I would like to apply for the citizenship but the guidance stays:

>>>
You’ll usually be able to apply for citizenship if you’re over 18 and have had one of the following for 12 months:
- ‘settled status’ (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’)

<<<

My question is: Do I really have to wait 12 more months to apply for the citizenship? I have been resident for the last 10 years?
Unfortunately yes. If you are following the EU Settled Status route to BC then you have to wait 12 months to apply for citizenship.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun May 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Yes, you have to wait 1 year.

But nothing stopped you from applying and getting the Settled status last year. So you would have been in position to apply for citizenship right now.

With these kind of applications, you have to set long term goals in a calendar. You can't do nothing for years then suddenly wake up one morning and want citizenship asap :)

manuelaux

Post by manuelaux » Sun May 31, 2020 2:35 pm

zcranso wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:54 pm
Unfortunately yes. If you are following the EU Settled Status route to BC then you have to wait 12 months to apply for citizenship.
Thank you!
Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:11 pm
Yes, you have to wait 1 year.

But nothing stopped you from applying and getting the Settled status last year. So you would have been in position to apply for citizenship right now.

With these kind of applications, you have to set long term goals in a calendar. You can't do nothing for years then suddenly wake up one morning and want citizenship asap :)
OMG. Really?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 31, 2020 2:51 pm

The requirement to wait for one year after acquiring ILR/PR/Settled Status applies to all applicants not married to a British citizen, irrespective of how many years they may have already resided in the UK. It even applies to people who get ILR on the 10 year Long residence pathway.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Sun May 31, 2020 3:30 pm

A bit academic... Permanent Residence can be backdated as it is acquired automatically. So you can probably apply immediately after you get the document. However, the process is cumbersome, it will likely take a few months and you are asking for trouble to apply for naturalisation several months earlier.

Or you can marry a Brit. You can then apply on the same day :).

manuelaux

Post by manuelaux » Sun May 31, 2020 4:44 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:51 pm
The requirement to wait for one year after acquiring ILR/PR/Settled Status applies to all applicants not married to a British citizen, irrespective of how many years they may have already resided in the UK. It even applies to people who get ILR on the 10 year Long residence pathway.
Thank you!
vaza wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:30 pm
A bit academic... Permanent Residence can be backdated as it is acquired automatically. So you can probably apply immediately after you get the document. However, the process is cumbersome, it will likely take a few months and you are asking for trouble to apply for naturalisation several months earlier.

Or you can marry a Brit. You can then apply on the same day :).
Yes, now I think that too. I will simpley wait for one more year.
My current status gives me all the rights I need in the UK.