ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

From Settled Status to Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jenangeles
United States of America

From Settled Status to Citizenship

Post by jenangeles » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi all,

Trying to get all my ducks in a row before becoming eligible for Citizenship later this year. We originally came to the UK in September 2014 and I was granted Settled Status as the partner of an EU citizen in November 2019.

If I understand correctly, I'm only eligible to apply for citizenship in November 2020 since I have Settled Status and not ILR since they don't backdate Settled Status. Is it possible to turn in the application earlier than November given that it'll probably take some time for them to get to my application or is that an automatic no if they can see that I submitted it prior to 1 year from date of Settled Status being granted?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: From Settled Status to Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:00 pm

If I understand correctly, I'm only eligible to apply for citizenship in November 2020 since I have Settled Status and not ILR since they don't backdate Settled Status.

Correct. You need Settled Status for the full 12 months.
Is it possible to turn in the application earlier than November given that it'll probably take some time for them to get to my application
No, the requirement is to hold ILR for the full 12 months. You are only exempt from waiting 12 months if you are married to a British Citizen.
or is that an automatic no if they can see that I submitted it prior to 1 year from date of Settled Status being granted?
Why risk losing the £1330 fee by applying too early and you are refused.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gwrade
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: From Settled Status to Citizenship

Post by gwrade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm

I applied day after holding settled status for 12 months. Since it is required, I would advise waiting until you get the full year to make sure.