ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Citizenship Questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

curious_man
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

EEA Citizenship Questions

Post by curious_man » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've picked this thread to post in as it seems to be most relevant. I know on some forums people can be quite strict about opening new threads, etc. So here it goes:

I'm an EEA national, been in the UK since late 2008. I'm applying for Naturalisation through the EU Settlement Scheme. I was granted Settled Status in May 2019, so a year has now passed and am now therefor eligible to apply through this route.

My questions would be:
1. Due to COVID I'm about to be made redundant potentially before I send off my application to the HO. - If I have an unemployed stint, do I need Comprehensive Sickness Insurance or anything similar to make sure I'm still eligible? Are there any other unemployed period catches I should be aware of?

2. Considering my employment status, etc. I'm considering leaving for the UK for up to a couple of months to travel a little in my current situation. However, as I travel a lot for work, I've already exceeded the number of days I'm allowed to absent from the UK (my employer is providing a letter to cover this). However, does traveling done, AFTER the application is submitted affect the application itself in any way, shape or form?

3. If my application is rejected... I was under the impression they refund my 1000 minus a nominal admin fee, but now I've seen that perhaps they don't...? Do they or do they not refund the 1000 upon an unsuccessful application?

Many thanks in advance,
Curious_man

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: EEA Citizenship Questions

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Please do not tag onto other members topics. It is unfair to other posters.
1. Due to COVID I'm about to be made redundant potentially before I send off my application to the HO. - If I have an unemployed stint, do I need Comprehensive Sickness Insurance or anything similar to make sure I'm still eligible? Are there any other unemployed period catches I should be aware of?
No.
2. Considering my employment status, etc. I'm considering leaving for the UK for up to a couple of months to travel a little in my current situation. However, as I travel a lot for work, I've already exceeded the number of days I'm allowed to absent from the UK (my employer is providing a letter to cover this). However, does traveling done, AFTER the application is submitted affect the application itself in any way, shape or form?
By how much do you exceed the 450 days and 90 days in last 12 months absence limit?? You are free to travel once you have applied. You will need to get someone to keep an eye on your post.
3. If my application is rejected... I was under the impression they refund my 1000 minus a nominal admin fee, but now I've seen that perhaps they don't...? Do they or do they not refund the 1000 upon an unsuccessful application?
If your application is refused, you do not get the whole fee back. All you get back is £80, which is the ceremony fee. You lose the rest. The fee for citizenship is £1330, which includes the ceremony fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dogcat
United Kingdom

Post by dogcat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:30 pm

@ curious man
Well, it depends ..
If you accumulated a period of 5 continuous/ consecutive years of 'lawful' residence at any point during youre stay in the UK- you don't have to be exercising treaty rights any longer so unemployment or lack of CSI no longer relevant.
'lawful' being :
1)employed
2) self employed
3) studying +CSI or EHIC (being covered by insurance back in your country of nationality )
4) self sufficient+ CSI or EHIC (being covered by insurance back in your country of nationality )

I might be wrong but after doing my research thats the impressions I got.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:58 pm

curious_man wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:09 pm
If you withdraw the application before submitting biometrics, then, to the best of my knowledge, you get a refund less the admin fee.

If either you withdraw the application after submitting biometrics OR the Home Office refuses the application, all you get back is £80 (the citizenship ceremony fee).

I agree with @dogcat's assessment above.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

curious_man
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by curious_man » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your very prompt responses! (Also, apologies, didn't mean to hijack anyones thread I had the best intentions at heart, but I'm new hear, didn't know the rules :))
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 pm
By how much do you exceed the 450 days and 90 days in last 12 months absence limit?? You are free to travel once you have applied.
Over the last year I did 120 days abroad, of which over 90 were for business (or hybrid personal & business) Hopefully not something to worry about too much

Also, let's say I do end up travelling for 2 months now, that would mean if for whatever reason my application would be unsuccessful I can't reapply because I will have spent too much time abroad.. - Is my assessment correct?

Therefore if that was to happen, is it worth paying someone like Freedomofmovement or a similar firm for their checking service to make sure it's a successful application?

Thanks in advance,
Curious_Man

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 pm
By how much do you exceed the 450 days and 90 days in last 12 months absence limit?? You are free to travel once you have applied.
Over the last year I did 120 days abroad, of which over 90 were for business (or hybrid personal & business) Hopefully not something to worry about too much
It would likely be best to wait till you meet the absence requirements more closely. HO makes no distinction between work and personal absence. All absence is absence. They have discretion (and don't have to exercise discretion) to ignore absence of 100/110 days, but you are pushing it if more than this.

What is your absence in the whole of the last 5 years???
Also, let's say I do end up travelling for 2 months now, that would mean if for whatever reason my application would be unsuccessful I can't reapply because I will have spent too much time abroad.. - Is my assessment correct?
Correct.
Therefore if that was to happen, is it worth paying someone like Freedomofmovement or a similar firm for their checking service to make sure it's a successful application?
There is no lawyer, advisor or company that can guarantee you a successful application. Using a third party has no influence on the HO process and decision. It is simple, you either meet ALL the requirements or you don't.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

curious_man
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by curious_man » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:50 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:35 pm
It would likely be best to wait till you meet the absence requirements more closely. HO makes no distinction between work and personal absence. All absence is absence. They have discretion (and don't have to exercise discretion) to ignore absence of 100/110 days, but you are pushing it if more than this.

What is your absence in the whole of the last 5 years???
Total for last 5 years is actually only 156 days.

I just had a look, if I wait until late July with submitting it, my absence for the previous calendar month comes down to 94 days due to Corona. I'm surprised business travel and personal is not treated separately though. Oh well!
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:35 pm
There is no lawyer, advisor or company that can guarantee you a successful application. Using a third party has no influence on the HO process and decision. It is simple, you either meet ALL the requirements or you don't.
I meet all requirements, apart from the above listed... However is it worth having someone reviewing the application to ensure it's as close to bulletproof as possible? Once the application is submitted and let's say something is just a little bit unclear on there, etc... Would the HO just refuse that application or would they reach out to me asking for more supporting documents?

Thanks