ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

fiance visa and marrage visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

leslie
Newly Registered

fiance visa and marrage visa

Post by leslie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:50 am

I am a US citizen who is dating an Irish citizen both of us living in our respective countries. We are talking about marrage but are having a hard time finding information on the legalities on the subject.
I would be moving to Ireland from the US to be with him. Is there such a thing as a fiance visa so I could move over before the wedding? If so, how long does it last? Am I able to legally work while I am in the country on a fiance visa?
What do we have to do once we are married? Am I legally able to work in Ireland? If not, when would I be able to work? What would be the status of our children? Would they have the rights of both countries?
If anyone could help I would really appreciate it!!
Thanks!

Skye
Newly Registered

Post by Skye » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:15 pm

Hi Leslie,

My fiance is Irish and I'm an Australian citizen. We are getting married at the end of the year, so I've done alot of reading on the subject. As far as I know Ireland does not recognize defacto relationships therefore there is no such visa. Once you are married to an Irish citizen the non Irish spouse is able to live and work in Ireland. Once you are married its just a matter of heading down to immigration and applying for a visa to allow you to work. Of what I've read, if you go to the Dublin Immigration department to apply you walk away with a visa that day, bit if you apply in another county it may take a week or 2.

After 3-4years of living in Ireland full time the non Irish spouse can apply for citizenship or dual citizenship.

I'm not too sure about children.

Have you had a working holiday visa for Ireland before? That visa would allow you to work part time before the wedding for 1 year.

Hope I helped a bit

Skye

leslie
Newly Registered

irish marrage

Post by leslie » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:34 pm

Skye,
Thank you so much for repying to my post! It's so difficult to find out anything from the States!

I haven't heard of a working holiday visa before. Could you tell me more about it? Where do I apply? How long does it take? What are the restrictions...etc. Have you done this before and if so, did you like it?

I appreciate any additional information you can give me!
Sincerely,
leslie

miyeo
Newly Registered

Post by miyeo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:52 pm

Hiya Leslie!

I've done some reading and if my source is correct American's don't qualify for the "working holiday visas". Its open to New Zealand, Canada, Australia i believe.

leslie
Newly Registered

work visa

Post by leslie » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:17 pm

I did some reading up after I sent you the message. I have to say this is proving to be a big pain!!!

As to your quote.... I believe I could pick up at least an SUV by now!
If not a Ford truck at least!!! :o)

Good luck to you!
Leslie

Skye
Newly Registered

Post by Skye » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:09 am

Hi Leslie,

I forgot about the country restrictions on working holiday visas. That's what I had when I originally went to Ireland a couple of years ago, and I loved my stay there. When I was there I met my fiance and ever since we have had visa dramas. Its stressful. He's had an Australian working holiday visa and had to go back 5 months ago because that expired. I can go over to Ireland and visit up to 3months at a time but I can't work. So we will be glad once we marry at the end of the year so we won't have to worry where we will be the following year because of visas.

I'm not to sure what else you can do!! If you are a qualified professional you can apply for a working visa that way ie nurse, doctor.

I haven't helped much but the choice of visas in Ireland are very limited, and what I've read working visas are hard to get.

Good luck. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

Skye

geekbo
Newly Registered

Post by geekbo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:41 pm

Hi...hope this will help! I have a friend who was not Irish but was living & working in Ireland & was engaged to a girl who was non EEA national as well. He had a work permit so was allowed to live & work in Ireland. She didn't have any visas besides a holiday entry. So he went to the visa registration office to request that she could stay. All he had to give was a copy of his bank statement, a letter saying they were engaged to be married & in the same letter say that he would support her for teh duration of there stay in Ireland. So they stamped her passport for the same duration as his work permit & they even renewed it the following year. Saying that, she wasn't allowed to work though. It's not advertised here but I saw it done - FACT!

Other than that I have met Americans working in Ireland on a work visa.

Hope that helps!!!