ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for passport outside UK after ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Apply for passport outside UK after ceremony

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm still waiting for my ceremony letter, and when it arrives I'm planning to try and get the quickest ceremony possible as I've got a sick relative in Australia and I need to go home for a few months.

Does anyone know if it's possible to apply for your first UK adult passport outside of the UK, provided you've got the citizenship certificate etc.... ?

Thanks,

Emelia

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for passport outside UK after ceremony

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Please don't tag onto other users topics.

You can yes, however we have had a few members facing issues as HMPO will inform and query with ho regarding the future intentions requirment you had to declare for citizenship.

british-citizenship/is-it-worth-asking- ... l#p1901763
secret.simon wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:16 pm
gofornaturalisation wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm
am I placing an unnecessary risk on my citizenship by doing so?
Yes, you are.

There have been two reported cases on these forums of first British passport applications being submitted from overseas, after a successful naturalisation ceremony in the UK, triggering a review of whether the already granted naturalisation was fraudulently or misleadingly granted, due to violating the "future intentions" requirement.

Asking a naturalisation ceremony to be carried out overseas will almost certainly trigger the same scrutiny and easier to do, as you are not yet a British citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Apply for passport outside UK after ceremony

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Keep in mind that you don't require a British passport to enter the UK. So when you are ready to return to the UK for an extended period, return on your Australian passport (going by your profile flag), and present yourself to the Immigration Officers as a British citizen. They should let you in. Then apply for a British passport from within the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.