ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement for FLR(M) query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Covering Letter for FLR(FP) Partner (10 year route) FIRST extension

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 am

Hi

My husband is in the middle of gathering documents, ready to submit his FLR(FP) Partner (10 year route). We originally went to a solicitors when he first applied for this. However this time, we are going to do it ourselves. We just need a bit of guidance/help on writing up a covering letter.

Is there anyone here who has a covering letter they could show me just to use as a template? This is specifically for the first extension, please. I've looked online but they all seem to be for making a brand new application, whereas this time we are extending it for a further 2.5 years. Any assistance on what to include/help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Covering Letter for FLR(FP) Partner (10 year route) FIRST extension

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:11 pm

There is no template letter. You don't even need a letter as the form asks for the relevant information. If you want to submit a letter, it can only be written by you/partner based on your circumstances.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:22 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:11 pm
There is no template letter. You don't even need a letter as the form asks for the relevant information. If you want to submit a letter, it can only be written by you/partner based on your circumstances.
Thank you for your reply. Just another thing if you know, can He apply less than 28 days before his visa expires or does it have to be 28 days and/or after?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:09 pm

To avoid a shortfall later on, he should apply within 28 days of 30 months. But if you want to apply a bit earlier, you can.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:15 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:09 pm
To avoid a shortfall later on, he should apply within 28 days of 30 months. But if you want to apply a bit earlier, you can.
Thank you

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

English Language Requirement for FLR(M) query

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:48 pm

We are looking into FLR(M), as opposed to FLR(FP). We meet all the requirements except one and that's the SELT course. My husbands visa expires next month, and we have tried to find courses to take the A1 SELT Grade 2 before then, however the only available dates are in September.

He has got a bachelors degree from India which is equivalent and the same weight as a Bachelors in UK. The degree itself was taught in English (reading, writing and listening), but on the actual certification that he was rewarded with is written in Hindi.

Is this acceptable for Naric to certify this instead of taking the A1 SELT course? Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: English Language Requirement for FLR(M) query

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:54 pm

BecomingIrishCitizen wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:48 pm
We are looking into FLR(M), as opposed to FLR(FP). We meet all the requirements except one and that's the SELT course. My husbands visa expires next month, and we have tried to find courses to take the A1 SELT Grade 2 before then, however the only available dates are in September.

He has got a bachelors degree from India which is equivalent and the same weight as a Bachelors in UK. The degree itself was taught in English (reading, writing and listening), but on the actual certification that he was rewarded with is written in Hindi.

Is this acceptable for Naric to certify this instead of taking the A1 SELT course? Thank you.
1. Please keep all your questions in on topic. Both now merged.

2. To use a foreign degree, he needs to have UKVI Red Route NARIC English and comparable assessment. He cannot use the degree that is foreign on its own for a visa application. Costs the same as the English test, £150. Also note that any non English document he wishes to use must be officially translated into English.

Have you tried IELTS and Trinity for slots, different centres perhaps?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

3. You are aware that FLR(M) resets his clock for ILR based on 5 years residence, i.e. he cannot combine FLR(FP) and FLR(M) time together to make up 5 years for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:00 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:48 pm

1. Please keep all your questions in on topic. Both now merged.

2. To use a foreign degree, he needs to have UKVI Red Route NARIC English and comparable assessment. He cannot use the degree that is foreign on its own for a visa application. Costs the same as the English test, £150. Also note that any non English document he wishes to use must be officially translated into English.

Have you tried IELTS and Trinity for slots, different centres perhaps?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

3. You are aware that FLR(M) resets his clock for ILR based on 5 years residence, i.e. he cannot combine FLR(FP) and FLR(M) time together to make up 5 years for ILR.
Thank you for your reply. We have looked at those and there's no slots available :( and yes we are aware that his clock reset back to 0 if we get the FLR(M), thanks for the heads up :)

If we send the certificate that's in hindi to Naric, will they not accept it because it is not in English? I don't see any way that he can get it translated into English.

Also he has got a Hindi to English translated copy of his certificate which is certified by notary in India. Would this be acceptable to send with the original certificate written in Hindi to Naric?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 pm

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:00 pm
If we send the certificate that's in hindi to Naric, will they not accept it because it is not in English?
They won't accept it if it won't have been generated/translated into English language.
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:00 pm
Also he has got a Hindi to English translated copy of his certificate which is certified by notary in India. Would this be acceptable to send with the original certificate written in Hindi to Naric?
No harm in enquiring them first as they might be accepting that.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your response so far. So upon looking into FLR(M), we have found out that my husband can be exempted from taking an English Language test due to covid. We feel he fits the exemption criteria as 1) unable to book a test due to covid, and 2) cannot travel as we are still in lockdown. He did email HO and called them but no answer, again because of coronavirus. Now we are wondering can he just apply for FLR M, explaining why he is applying got an exemption as well or just continue with FLR FP extension? If FLR M gets refused, can they just automatically change it to FLR FP?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:58 pm
we have found out that my husband can be exempted from taking an English Language test due to covid
Do link to the government document that you found this exemption in.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:34 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:28 pm
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:58 pm
we have found out that my husband can be exempted from taking an English Language test due to covid
Do link to the government document that you found this exemption in.
"Changes to the English language requirement
If you’re asked to take an English language test as part of your application, you can apply for an exemption if the test centre was closed or you couldn’t travel to it due to coronavirus when you applied."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:38 pm

Many have recently been able to book and dot their English tests.
Char (CR001 not Casa)