ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

University merged.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xiaowei

University merged.

Post by xiaowei » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to here and have an urgent problem. Hope any friend can give a hand.

I am applying Tier 1 (general). My qualification was awarded by UMIST which merged now to University of Manchester. so UMIST is NOT in the NARIC institute and body list.
My question is Should I use University of Manchester in the list? or do i need any other supporting documents?

Thanks

Post by 1971 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi,

You might look for supporting documents such as newspaper cut-out or letter from uni stating the change.

I hope this helps.

Cheers and god luck.
~1971.
Better late than never...

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:17 pm

If you studied in the UK (and not at an overseas campus of either UMIST or UofM) then I do not think you need to provide any additional documentation.

Just mention the fact in your cover letter.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

xiaowei

Post by xiaowei » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:32 pm

thanks for all the help.

I tried NARIC, UK is not in the country list. So I suppose UK certifications are not required to get certified.

But i am still not sure which university I should fill in on the application form.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:39 pm

xiaowei wrote:I tried NARIC, UK is not in the country list.
Of course it is not. No point in checking equivalency of qualifications gained at a UK univreisty against UK standards! :wink:

University of Manchester. The fact that two universities have merged into one under a new name doesn't invalidate your qualification(s)!

If in doubt / still unsure, check with UKBA directly.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

xiaowei

Post by xiaowei » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:28 am

I also contacted the new university and wanted them to give an official proof stating the fact that UMIST was part of it. But the uni person said they couldnot produce that kind of letter!!!