ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent Visa Requirements

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

narveer

Dependent Visa Requirements

Post by narveer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:49 pm

Hi,

I would be applying for EC from Dublin once I receive Work Permit. I want to know whether I can apply for my and spouse EC Together? I would like to add that my wife is also on work permit in Ireland. I would like to know
What documents would be required for spouse Visa. I understand She has to provide:
1. Offer Letter from my UK Employer
2. Letter from my UK Employer asking Embassy to issue visa for spouse
3. 3 Passport size photographs
4. Work Permit from my UK Employer
5. Resignation Letter (From her current job in dublin)
6. Marriage Certificate and Marriage Pictures
7. Utility bills addressed to both of us
8. Her Academic Certificates
9. 6 months Bank Statements showing enough funds to support
10. Passport
11. Visa Fees

Is there anything else I need to provide for spouse Visa?

Also when I apply for EC is it essential to submit Degree Certificates. Problem is that I have applied for HSMP recently and all my transcripts are with HSMP. I have asked HSMP to return the original transcripts asap.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:03 pm

You only have to prove that she is your wife and that you will be able to accomodate her (and any other depedants) without recourse to public funds
Where there is a will there is a way.

narveer

Post by narveer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:07 pm

Chess,

Thanks for the prompt reply. You are saying that I dont have to provide the extensive list of documents for dependent visa ? She has been working in Dublin. I read in the HSMP Forum that HSMP Holders Spouse was asked to resign from the current job for dependent visa.

How much amount would be OK for EC ? I have around £5k in my bank account. Also I would like to add that I wont be having any accomodation in UK.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:11 pm

Chess,

Thanks for the prompt reply. You are saying that I dont have to provide the extensive list of documents for dependent visa ? She has been working in Dublin. I read in the HSMP Forum that HSMP Holders Spouse was asked to resign from the current job for dependent visa.
Rubbish - no where in the immigration rules does it say that wife has to resign.

The case you are referring to - I suspect the ECO didnt trust the applicant (i.e wife in Germany for a year, Child in India, Dad in UK for a year) - it just did not seem to make sense
How much amount would be OK for EC ? I have around £5k in my bank account. Also I would like to add that I wont be having any accomodation in UK
5k euros or Sterling. Either way you will be OK

f2k
Diamond Member

Re: Dependent Visa Requirements

Post by f2k » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:29 pm

narveer wrote:Hi,

I would be applying for EC from Dublin once I receive Work Permit. I want to know whether I can apply for my and spouse EC Together?
Is there anything else I need to provide for spouse Visa?

Also when I apply for EC is it essential to submit Degree Certificates. Problem is that I have applied for HSMP recently and all my transcripts are with HSMP. I have asked HSMP to return the original transcripts asap.
Has the WP been approved yet? here is what your dependents will need
What supporting documents should my dependants include with their application?

Your dependants should include all the documents they can to show that they qualify for entry to the UK as your dependant. If they do not, we may refuse their application.

As a guide your dependants should include:
evidence of their relationship to you
evidence that you can support them and live without needing any help from public funds
a copy of the pages from your passport showing your permission to stay, if you are already in the UK, and
your original work permit and supporting documents if they are applying before you travel to the UK.

She does not have to resign from her work place, even yourself you dont have to put in a resignation letter, Chess is right the other guy (Baskey) who was had the problem dependent visa probably because the ECO didnt believe the partner wanted to join him in the UK.
If you are going on WP then £5k is more than sufficient

narveer

Post by narveer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:45 pm

Thanks chess and f2k. I am bit worried because my joining date is 9th of May. My Employer has applied for Fresh Work Permit yesterday. So I guess its going to take atleast 2 weeks.

Yes I was talking about Baskey. His Wife was asked to resign. But Again why do they ask in the application whether the applicant is working ? If the applicant (Spouse in this case) says that she is working then I guess she has to provide some supporting documents.

One Last question, Can I apply for EC for my spouse together with my application ?

f2k since you are from dublin, you must be aware of the processing time for Work Permit EC in Dublin. Can you please comment on that?

Once again thanks for clarification.

narveer

Post by narveer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:30 pm

Hi f2k,

Are you aware of the timelines for Work Permit EC Clearance in Dublin?

narveer

Post by narveer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:39 pm

Chess,f2k,

Sorry to bother you will silly questions. Can I Apply EC for me and my spouse together? Or Do I have to first get EC and then only I can apply EC for my wife?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:53 pm

You can apply at the same time (but on different forms of course). As far as the timelines are concerned I am not sure what the current state of affairs is, i know not long ago if you went in the morning with all your papers in order, you would get it the same day. I dont know about now cause on their website they are saying that you wont get your passport back on the day but they will post it to you. i have not spoken to any who has gone there lately, but from one post here, there is a guy (forgot his name) who is waiting for his EC for HSMP for over a month now, i dont think it will take that long though.

narveer

Post by narveer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:12 pm

Thanks f2k. I have now all the required information i need for EC.

narveer

Post by narveer » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:28 am

f2k,chess,

I spoke to the British Embassy in Dublin and they have asked for an additional document. They said that they will be needing an unconditional support document from my employer in UK. Are you guys aware of such document ? What does this document say? I guess it should be easy to get such document from my UK employer but I dont really know what should be the matter in this document.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:47 am

narveer wrote:f2k,chess,

I spoke to the British Embassy in Dublin and they have asked for an additional document. They said that they will be needing an unconditional support document from my employer in UK. Are you guys aware of such document ? What does this document say? I guess it should be easy to get such document from my UK employer but I dont really know what should be the matter in this document.
I am not aware of such a document - and it does not exist under the current immigration rules.

Phone them and ask them - what they mean!. I suspect they want the job offer letter with renumeration

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:10 pm

I suspect its the its the offer letter and possibly your contract. I would have thought they would tell you exactly what document they need. Just a question, have submitted the application already or you are just gathering information?

narveer

Post by narveer » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:36 pm

Thanks f2k and chess.
I am just gathering information. I dont want to leave anything till the end. I have been told by my employer that I should get my permit very soon. British Embassy has adviced that it may take 5-10 working days for EC.

I also spoke to them about non conditional letter. They said that its just a letter from employer saying that I will be joining them on a said date and I will be employed with them. They also strongly suggested that the subject of the letter should be 'Non Conditional Letter from the Employer'.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I hope I am not bothering you a lot. Its just that I have resigned from the current job and I dont want anything to be messed up with my future job in UK.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:36 pm

its good to be well prepared you should not leave things to chance, especially in your case where you have to start work soon. Have you heard any word about your documents from HSMP? Oh and did you send in an urgent treatment request.

narveer

Post by narveer » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:56 pm

f2k i spoke to someone in hsmp team day before yesterday and he said that it takes 5 days to sort out fax. I must have faxed them atleast 15 times by now.Also I have posted the letter through SDS day before yesterday.Hope they recieve my letter and post me the docs asap.

I spoke to someone in british embassy and she confirmed that i dont have to provide degree certificates and not even work experience letters.Luckily I have work experience letters as the reference letters required by hsmp are of different format.

As far as the urgent treatment of hsmp application is concerned I wont mind it getting delayed as i am not at all prepared for hsmp procedures.

narveer

Post by narveer » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:15 am

f2k I spoke to a polite lady of HSMP Team today and she confirmed that they have recieved my letter for original documents and they have posted my originals yesterday. I asked them what mode of delivery they have used to deliver my originals and she said that they have used normal post. Cant believe it, how can they be so insensitive towards applicants originals. I hope my parcel reaches me and doesnt get lost.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:41 am

They usually send the documents by recorded delivery. Why not ask them for recorded delivery number and you can use royal mail's track and trace facility! Normally it takes 4-5 days for recorded delivery.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

narveer

Post by narveer » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:43 am

indian_in_uk,
I asked them for the delivery number and she said that she doesnt have any number as it has been sent by normal post.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:19 pm

they only use 'recorded delivery' for items posted to UK addresses, any ohter items are sent via normal airmail. If they have indeed posted your documents back you should get them in early next week.

narveer

Post by narveer » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:21 pm

f2k according to you there is a probability that they must be bluffing that they have posted the documents back to me?

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:23 pm

f2k wrote:they only use 'recorded delivery' for items posted to UK addresses, any ohter items are sent via normal airmail. If they have indeed posted your documents back you should get them in early next week.
How can mail to Ireland take 5 days - thats bizzare :o

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:54 pm

Chess wrote:
f2k wrote:they only use 'recorded delivery' for items posted to UK addresses, any ohter items are sent via normal airmail. If they have indeed posted your documents back you should get them in early next week.
How can mail to Ireland take 5 days - thats bizzare :o
It takes about 3 - 4 days. Also they dont deliver mail on a Saturday in Ireland

narveer

Post by narveer » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:09 am

I was told by HSMP that my documents were posted on 14th. I have called three times and everytime they have confirmed that they have dispatched on 14th.

Its been 9 days and I am yet to recieve my documents. I cant trace the documents as they have been sent by first class post.

Also is it true that British Embassy in Dublin issues work permit which is valid for 1 month and once you are in UK you have to apply for LTR?

narveer

Post by narveer » Fri May 06, 2005 1:21 pm

I finally applied for Entry Clearance for my wife and me on Wednesday and I got the approval today. My Entry Clearance is valid till May’2010.

For the benefit of the members who will be applying for Entry Clearance I am mentioning the documents and procedure.

I queued up 7.30 in the morning and to my surprise there were very few people. I guess that’s because embassy is encouraging everyone to send by post. Finally somebody from the Embassy opened the doors at 9AM and gave us a ticket. Before starting the process they reminded everyone that the visa process will take 5-10 working days and asked everyone to fill in the immigration history section carefully. I was in No 8 in the queue. I first submitted my documents to the cashier. He looked at our passports carefully and then asked me to pay 117 Euros each for my wife and me. He also returned our Irish Work Permit and Registration Card. He then asked us to wait for 10 minutes so that his colleague can check all the documents and confirm the status. I was finally called after 15 minutes and was told that everything is in order and will get my visa shortly by post. I asked him whether I could get it in 3 days. He smiled and said 'We will provide your excellent service'.
I was told that I would receive an email from British Embassy when my visa has been issued but I didn’t receive any correspondence from them. I casually checked the status of my Swiftpost and found that Documents have been dispatched.

Here is the list of documents I submitted:
DOCUMENTS FOR WORK PERMIT HOLIDER

1. Application form VAF1 - non-settlement
2. Passport
3. Work Permit from Home Office
4. Two Current Passport-sized photographs (Only 1 required)
5. Irish Work Permit and Garda Registration Card
6. Offer Letter from Employment
7. Confirmation of Employment
8. Certifying letter from Employer
9. Print out of the Job Specification of the job offered by Employer
10. Work Experience and Release Letters from previous employers
11. Tax Certificate - P60 from current employer for Year 2004
12. Letter from Current Employer
13. Accommodation Letter from a friend
14. Bank Statements for the past 3 months
15. Bank Statement as of 29/04/2005
16. Prepaid Self Address Swift post Envelope

DOCUMENTS FOR SPOUSE

1. VAF1 Application Form
2. Passport
3. Two Current Passport-sized photographs
4. Garda Registration Card
5. Marriage Certificate
6. Marriage Pictures (Engagement and Marriage Ceremony)
7. Address Proof – Utility Bill

Strange thing is our Entry Clearance Sticker has our passport size photograph. In my wife’s Entry Clearance they haven’t mentioned whether she can work in UK. They have just mentioned ‘No Recourse to Public Funds’. Is this normal because I believe dependants can work in UK.

I would like to thank f2k and chess who helped me with my queries. I would also like to thank the forum for all valuable inputs.

I am still waiting for HSMP Decision and have not received my originals from HSMP though they claim they have dispatched the originals on 14th of April.