ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for irish work visa but not an IT degree

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

emma_peele
Newly Registered

applying for irish work visa but not an IT degree

Post by emma_peele » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:32 am

hello everyone,

i need your help, please. i'm an IT consultant and currently in the process of negotiating a job offer from an ireland company. i have offered to apply for my own work visa as i have read this is a much faster way than applying for a work permit. but recently i found out that it requires an IT degree. i have an engineering degree with a few computer courses in it. do you think they might consider? is there a work-around in this kind of case?

thank you so much in advance.

AnandVishwanathan
Newly Registered

Irish work visa

Post by AnandVishwanathan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:33 pm

hiya,

I do know that the American visa policy does consider a experience of 10 years and over in a particular field(that is IT in your case) for the visa. But i doubt if this is the same for the Irish visa policy.
Yes, the work visa is much faster than work permit for Ireland, but it is also seems to be getting tougher to get the work visa these days. I would give a shot for the work visa but would also be ready for the work permit just incase the work visa doesnt work out.(Ofcourse you will need to speak to your employeer before hand, if they would sponser the work permit for you.)
I doubt if there is any work around for this kind of case then again every case is unique. Go for the work visa anyway. And do let us know how you get along with it.

Cheers!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything that counts need not be counted, and everything thats counted need not count -- Albert Einsteen.

geekbo
Newly Registered

Post by geekbo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:45 pm

I don't know much about Work Authorisation for Engineers such as they have for ICT profs, but try this site: www.entemp.ie

geekbo
Newly Registered

Post by geekbo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:53 pm

CHECK TOWARDS THE END OF THIS.....

An applicant for a Working Visa or Work Authorisation must present:
• A completed application form;
• a job offer and contract from an employer in Ireland corresponding to the designated skills category in which he/she claims to be qualified, stating the starting date and pay and quoting the employer's Registered Number for Tax Purposes and the applicant's passport number; (NB: The employee must be directly employed and salaried by the employer in Ireland. Job offers from recruitment agencies, agents, intermediaries or companies who intend to outsource the employee to another company will not be acceptable under the scheme)
• a passport valid at least until the expiration date of the relevant Working Visa or Work Authorisation;
• two photographs
• a visa application fee of €100 or equivalent (not charged in the case of a number of nationalities) or a Work Authorisation application fee of €50 or equivalent
• the original copy of the applicants’ relevant qualifications. NB: only qualifications that have been awarded by a recognised third level institution will be accepted under the Work Authorisation or Working Visa scheme.
Information and Computing Technologies:
ICT Professionals:
• applicants must have the minimum of a degree in the Information and Computing Technology field from a recognized third level institution.
ICT Technicians:
• applicants must have the minimum of a diploma in the Information and Computing Technology field from a recognized third level institution.
The following will not be sufficient:
• work experience in that field.
• qualifications from bodies such as Microsoft, Cisco, IBM, etc.
Construction Professionals:
Architect:
• applicants require the minimum of a degree in architecture.
Architect Technician/Technologist:
applicants require the minimum of a diploma in Architectural Technology or equivalent.Construction Engineers:
• this generally relates to civil engineering and applicants require the minimum of a degree in civil engineering.
Note: Applications maybe considered in respect of other engineering categories such as mechanical or electrical engineers only where the job offered is part of a clearly defined construction project.
Engineering Technician:
• applicants require the minimum of a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent.
Quantity Surveyor:
• applicants require the minimum of a degree in Quantity Surveying.
Building Surveyor:
• applicants require the minimum of a degree in Building Surveying.
Town Planners:
• applicants require the minimum of a degree in Town Planning.

emma_peele
Newly Registered

Post by emma_peele » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:40 am

it looks like they are really strict with the degree. i want to try but i'm afraid i'll just waste a good hundred euros for nothing. thanks to you both, anyway!

geekbo
Newly Registered

Post by geekbo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am

Maybe call your local Irish Embassy - they should be able to give you the best advise & what your chances are of receiving a permit!

emma_peele
Newly Registered

Post by emma_peele » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:46 am

hi geekbo, actually i already did but i didn't get a clear reply. it seems like i have to apply before they will assess.

gulgon

Post by gulgon » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:59 am

When I asked the Irish Consulate, they told me that your degree must be IT or electrical engineering etc. She had checked their own leaflet stating which degrees ar acceptable so she had told me electrical enginer. as an example so i assume u should have good chance... good luck