ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Expat2009
Newly Registered

Registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen

Post by Expat2009 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi,

I am applying for British citizenship for my son who was born in the UK at the time I wasn't 'settled' (now I am via Tier 2 General route).
There is a question in the online application which caused some confusion. It's under the Parents Immigration Status heading:

Are you relying on your parent's permanent residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?

My son is obviously rely on my settled status via my recently obtained Permanent residence status. So does this question apply to all PR holders or just 'EEA national' as described in their question

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: Also, they haven't asked for my BRP number either. They've only asked for my son's BRP. That initially led me to doubt that maybe this is where they details may need to be added

Expat2009
Newly Registered

Re: Registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen

Post by Expat2009 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:14 pm

There is also a question whether the applicant has lived at the address for 5 years. If the applicant is a 2 year old, is the answer to the above question 'Yes' ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:44 pm

1) This question does not apply to you.
2) Say yes to bypass. HO knows child is only 2.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Expat2009
Newly Registered

Post by Expat2009 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Thank you for the response.

Can someone also please confirm, whether the 'professional' reference for a child definitely needs to be someone who has dealt with the child directly in a professional manner?

We have a friend who is an accountant and was willing to be the 'professional' reference, but I just came across the following guidance:

Where the applicant is a child applying, one referee should be a professional who
has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, such as a teacher, health
visitor, social worker or minister of religion.
For an adult application, one referee should be a person of any nationality who has
professional standing, eg minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a
professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this
application).

We really don't know how we can get a health visitor to provide a reference on such short notice especially given Covid-19 restrictions. Any helps would be appreciated.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:30 pm

Expat2009 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:25 pm
Thank you for the response.

Can someone also please confirm, whether the 'professional' reference for a child definitely needs to be someone who has dealt with the child directly in a professional manner?

We have a friend who is an accountant and was willing to be the 'professional' reference, but I just came across the following guidance:

Where the applicant is a child applying, one referee should be a professional who
has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, such as a teacher, health
visitor, social worker or minister of religion.
For an adult application, one referee should be a person of any nationality who has
professional standing, eg minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a
professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this
application).

We really don't know how we can get a health visitor to provide a reference on such short notice especially given Covid-19 restrictions. Any helps would be appreciated.
Yes you need someone who has engaged professionally with the child. Many members have reported problems asking health visitors etc.
Note Home Office is not strict when it comes to young children. Try your best to find. If you fail, use the accountant and explain in the cover letter that health visitor etc refused.

I applied for my daughter when she was 3 months old and I used a minister of religion.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.