ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Timing of spouse visa application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

orojim
United Kingdom

Timing of spouse visa application

Post by orojim » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:25 pm

I am a dual USA-UK citizen; my wife is a US citizen. We live in the United States and wish to move to Scotland. We do not anticipate problems in having her spouse visa application approved, as we satisfy the income requirements, we have no criminal records, we each have US college degrees so no English language worries. We have been married for 37 years.

What I am trying to determine is the best time and place to apply for the spouse visa, if we even have a choice in the matter. Our plan is that I would travel to Scotland and establish a residence for us. At this point, our hope is that my wife could either a) start the application process from the US and join me when the spouse visa is approved, or b) she could come with me and apply from the UK.

We like "b" better, but the government guidance seems to say that one cannot apply for a spouse visa if she is here on a visitor visa of six months or less. Six months is, as I understand it, the typical time granted to an American who just shows up as a visitor or tourist.

Does anyone here have insight on this, or perhaps even a similar recent personal experience?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Timing of spouse visa application

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 pm

She cannot apply to switch to a spouse visa within the UK if she is here as a visitor. The rules don't allow this. So your option b won't work.

She must apply for the spouse visa from her home country and wait for approval.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:40 pm

orojim wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:25 pm
, we each have US college degrees so no English language worries.
It won't be needed since the applicant is American national

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

orojim
United Kingdom

Post by orojim » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:58 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 pm
She cannot apply to switch to a spouse visa within the UK if she is here as a visitor. The rules don't allow this. So your option b won't work.

She must apply for the spouse visa from her home country and wait for approval.
I was afraid of that. We can live with option a. Thanks very much for the info.

orojim
United Kingdom

Post by orojim » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 am

seagul wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:40 pm
orojim wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:25 pm
, we each have US college degrees so no English language worries.
It won't be needed since the applicant is American national

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english
Good to know. Thank you.