ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fastest way to move from Russia to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Fastest way to move from Russia to UK

Post by JoshisJosh » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:04 pm

My Russian friend wants to move from Russia to the UK. They were born in Russia and have lived there all there life. I was wondering what they would have to do to move to the UK. How can they get a citizenship and a visa to live in UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Fastest way to move from Russia to UK

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:09 pm

How can they get a citizenship and
Maybe slow down a bit. Citizenship takes at least 5/6 years and requires permanent residency first, which takes 5 years.
a visa to live in UK?
He would have to find a visa he qualifies form it is not easy to get many visas. There is no general visa that would allow him to live and work I. The UK.

Tier 2 general he needs a sponsoring employer and can only work for this employer.

For global talent visa he needs endorsement first before he can apply for a visa. Same for start up visa and Innovator visa.

For a student visa, he needs a CAS from a university before he can apply for a visa, pay international fees etc on a qualifying course. He will have restrictions in working.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:32 am

After this visa runs out how do you extend it? And how much are the fees for each of the visas you mentioned? if you don't mind I ask. If it helps they come here to study in order to be a teacher.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:37 am

I suggest he looks at the different visa options on the ukvi website and do his own research on requirements, costs and process etc. All the information is available there, even how to extend if applicable.

A tier 4 student visa does not lead to eligibility to apply for permanent residence after 5 years though and neither does the Start Up visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Adding onto what CR001 already said, I think any normal route to Citizenship takes close to 7 years (including the processing times). Only a few categories are allowed super-priority same day service but for majority extensions, ILR, citizenship application, one has to wait for 4-6 months which adds up. Its a long journey!!
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:12 pm

It is more or less the same for all western world - and your "friend" should know it.

There are essentially following ways to immigrate (i.e. get legal temporary and then permanent residence status, and then eventually arrive to citizenship):
- via job: get a good professional job offer (skilled worker for reputed firm)
- via investment: if you are reach and you want to invest large sum in the country economy
- via family: marry someone who is already in the country or about to immigrate there (until December 31 they still can marry someone with EU citizenship, from Baltic countries for example, and immigrate to UK together)
- refugee: arrive (say as a tourist) and have a good story why you cannot go back
- coming as a student, and then try to switch to one of categories above
- there might be some way via military service for intended country - though I am not sure..

Some EU countries are easier then others by the way...

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:00 am

So if they start of with the student visa and stay here for however long the teaching course takes by extending it. Eventually they get a job offer as a teacher, this will qualify them for a working visa (I don't remember official name) then they can stay in UK while they have this job, after that it takes 5yrs to qualify for permanent residency and 7yr to qualify for citizenship. Am I getting this right? Sorry if I am bit slow, I'm completely new to all of this, just wanna help a friend out.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:52 am

Maybe this ficticious timeline will help you - note that a new Immigration Act will come into force from 2021:
2021 - 2025: Visa Status (Student & Graduate Work)
end 2025: apply Indefinite Leave
end 2026: eligible to apply for Naturalisation (unless married to a British Citizen)
mid 2027: citizenship granted
Assuming no changes in the regulations - note there will be decision wait times on top of this. You need to consult the UK Visa&Immigration current visa details for the fine detail.
Also see:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigra ... ed-to-know
https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/201 ... ion-route/
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Thanks so much mate, my only issue with your timeline is that the work Visa will not be able to be applied until they get a job offer. They want to work as a teacher so they may need to get study visa first then get it extended until the course finishes. Like 3years later then they can apply for a work Visa which is when the 7yrs start as they head towards citizenship. Right? Unless they can get a job alongside study and just get a work Visa. If you could respond to this even if I am being an utter idiot it would help) I'm trying my best 😅🤦 any corrections you can give me are greatly appreciated)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:44 pm

All I can is to refer you to the graduate scheme guidelines link. As a general comment I would advise that laying out definite plans and timelines is fraught with difficulty, and you will know that the UK immigration system is not exactly predictable. Friend may have to be more flexible in career choices.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:22 pm

JoshisJosh wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:23 pm
Like 3years later then they can apply for a work Visa which is when the 7yrs start as they head towards citizenship. Right? Unless they can get a job alongside study and just get a work Visa. If you could respond to this even if I am being an utter idiot it would help) I'm trying my best 😅🤦 any corrections you can give me are greatly appreciated)
Student visas (tier 4) do NOT count towards the residence qualifying period for permanent residence based on 5 years residence. Only a Tier 2 would count in the above scenaria. So your friend would need 5 years AFTER the Tier 4 student visa, before they can apply for permanent residence and then wait another 1 full year before they can apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:58 am

Ok yeah thanks i understand that student visa doesnt count towards permanent residency however if they come here to study they can get qualifications in order to get a work visa allowing them to stay right? Or can you not apply for a working visa while your student visa is still active?

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:01 am

Also i have a question, if say i could convince the bar im working in to offer her a part-time job, would this be enough to qualify for a working visa or does it only apply to specific jobs?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:27 am

JoshisJosh wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:01 am
Also i have a question, if say i could convince the bar im working in to offer her a part-time job, would this be enough to qualify for a working visa or does it only apply to specific jobs?
The organisation that offers the job itself needs to be on the list of sponsors for Tier 2 jobs and the job must be in certain specific fields and pay a certain minimum salary (generally upwards of £30,000).
JoshisJosh wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:58 am
can you not apply for a working visa while your student visa is still active?
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can switch from a student visa to a work visa within the UK. You must leave the UK after the studies finish and then apply for a work visa.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:41 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:27 am
JoshisJosh wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:58 am
can you not apply for a working visa while your student visa is still active?
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can switch from a student visa to a work visa within the UK. You must leave the UK after the studies finish and then apply for a work visa.
A person can switch from tier 4 to tier 2 within the UK, provided they have a licensed sponsor job offer and meet the entry level salary of the SOC.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:52 am

Ok thanks for the help, would a job as a primary school teacher quaify you for a tier 2 visa or is there any other visa they can get? It is their dream to move to the UK and become a teacher.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:32 am

would a job as a primary school teacher quaify you for a tier 2 visa
If they can get a sponsor and meet all the requirements. Note that once you finish studying, I believe there is a period where they are only a teaching assistant, which wouldn't qualify for tier 2 sponsorship.
or is there any other visa they can get?
No.
It is their dream to move to the UK and become a teacher.
How good is their English??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 am

Yeah, what would you recommend they do to stay in the country as a teaching assistant? Is it possible? Also there English is still at a very low level but I am teaching them and they are actively practicing daily. I think they will be ready in a year or 2 to reach a very good standard. They are passionate about reading and very smart so they have the foundations of good English. Just need practice. Appreciate the help man)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Is there any reason that the person wants to migrate to the UK specifically? I would imagine that they may have better luck in countries like Cyprus, which has a sizeable Russian population and which may make it easier for them to integrate into.

Then, once in an EU country, with work experience and certification in that country, further immigration may be easier.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:55 pm

It has to be UK, it is there dream. Its complicated and personal story and I dont think it is ok I share their story without permission sorry. Any support would be great) and i appreciate you trying to help)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:12 pm

Can they claim, perhaps by descent, the citizenship of an EEA member-state (such as the Baltic states or one of the nations bordering Russia, such as Finland or Norway, or in some cases within Russia-such as Volga Germans-German citizenship)? If they can get that EEA citizenship before December this year, they can arrive and settle in the UK as EU citizens.

Otherwise, their route to settle in the UK are very slim. Essentially only a Tier 2 job or a spousal visa (which has strict income and other requirements of the British spouse).

If the person is qualified in either heath or social care, they may be able to apply for the new visas that the government will be introducing for those sectors in the new year.

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:36 am

She is
50% macedonian
25% Jewish
25% Russian
Can she apply?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:14 am

JoshisJosh wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:36 am
She is
50% macedonian
25% Jewish
25% Russian
Can she apply?
No, not under the EU rules. She needs to be an EU citizen with an EU passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

JoshisJosh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoshisJosh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:02 am

I thought so. Do you think it would be quicker/easier/cheaper for her to go to another European country first, get citizenship there then apply to move to the UK or just try get a citizenship in the UK through getting a job that qualifies for a tier 2 visa? after studying here using a tier 3.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:04 am

The UK is leaving the EU. After December 2020, EU citizens will also need a visa to work in the UK the same as anyone form anywhere else in the world.

There is no quick route to citizenship in any country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)