ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee forms - how old?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

freddiekeller
England

Evidence you have been in the UK lawfully

Post by freddiekeller » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Dear all,

In the new application form checklist, in addition to "Proof of living" the evidence checklist has an item saying:

Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should
be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or
incapacitated person

What constitutes evidence of self-sufficiency - a bank statement? I have been neither employed nor in study in gaps between my degrees and my family were supporting me financially.

Thanks,

Freddie

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Re: Evidence you have been in the UK lawfully

Post by Frou01 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 pm

Let your family write a statement from what time on they supported you financially.
Also you can gather bank statements showing these payments or if you received money by Western Union request a history of transactions and show/ or let them declare they paid your rent, costs of livings or they gave you cash.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:22 am

freddiekeller wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:21 pm
Dear all,

In the new application form checklist, in addition to "Proof of living" the evidence checklist has an item saying:

Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should
be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or
incapacitated person

What constitutes evidence of self-sufficiency - a bank statement? I have been neither employed nor in study in gaps between my degrees and my family were supporting me financially.

Thanks,

Freddie
Which form are you filling? Which checklist is this?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

freddiekeller
England

Post by freddiekeller » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 pm
Let your family write a statement from what time on they supported you financially.
Also you can gather bank statements showing these payments or if you received money by Western Union request a history of transactions and show/ or let them declare they paid your rent, costs of livings or they gave you cash.
Thanks, Frou001. Could I ask whom you drew the idea to write a letter confirming financial support from?

I am a bit reluctant to share bank statements (even though I did for Settled Status without any problem) because there is a chance that they may ask for more details on specific transactions (e.g. I've received one-off small payments from a tutoring website which I'm not sure if I should've declared, but the sum of them is certainly miles off the non-taxable threshold)
CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:22 am
freddiekeller wrote:
Dear all,

incapacitated person

Thanks,

Freddie
I am referring to the evidence checklist of the online application form for naturalisation.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:10 pm

To write statements, declare financial support was advised to me by immigration lawyers.
I have 3 statements with signatures and details attached to my application.
I don’t see a problem to provide bank statements to a naturalisation application, especially when you already did for your immigration application. Both going to Home Office.
I also provide payslips, HMRC records, that’s sensitive data I wouldn’t provide to anyone usually.
But for Home Office applications you should provide all paperwork supporting your application.
You can also attach any proof and statements first and if your caseworker asks for more then provide more documents or explain if you don’t have them and why.
But I wouldn’t say I don’t want to provide it.

Do I understand it right, you did now withdraw your first application and applying now with a new date?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:13 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
freddiekeller wrote:
Dear all,

incapacitated person

Thanks,

Freddie
I have never seen something like this in an AN form OR am I missing something? 🥴
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

dogcat
United Kingdom

Post by dogcat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:21 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:13 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
freddiekeller wrote:
Dear all,

incapacitated person

Thanks,

Freddie
I have never seen something like this in an AN form OR am I missing something? 🥴
It's for applicants from EEA.

freddiekeller
England

Post by freddiekeller » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:10 pm
To write statements, declare financial support was advised to me by immigration lawyers.
I have 3 statements with signatures and details attached to my application.
I don’t see a problem to provide bank statements to a naturalisation application, especially when you already did for your immigration application. Both going to Home Office.
I also provide payslips, HMRC records, that’s sensitive data I wouldn’t provide to anyone usually.
But for Home Office applications you should provide all paperwork supporting your application.
You can also attach any proof and statements first and if your caseworker asks for more then provide more documents or explain if you don’t have them and why.
But I wouldn’t say I don’t want to provide it.

Do I understand it right, you did now withdraw your first application and applying now with a new date?
You did understand right - I am a bit more comfortable with the idea of providing payslips for specific wire transfers rather than providing whole bank statements - so I appreciate your suggestion. I'll contact the HO helpline and my lawyer too and find out what the best way forward is.

dogcat
United Kingdom

Post by dogcat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:43 pm

I could be wrong, but I dont think that bank statements are admissible as evidence in terms of naturalisation.
Also, if you weren't relaying on the welfare system that should be good enough indication.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Note that UKVI have wide access to data held by government departments including HMRC.
If we want our applications to be approved we should submit the required documents (of which there aren't many) and anything else that may be needed to support an application. Case workers are unlikely to investigate odd transactions or re-work tax payments, but they will be interested to see what support is received regularly, for example.
At times applicants get stuck with referees who don't want to divulge their passport number - to the gov department that issues same.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dogcat
United Kingdom

Post by dogcat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Say for example, during the periods of self sufficiency was being supported by UK resident husband/ partner who would give me cash. How would I be able to proof that?

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:30 pm

dogcat wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:05 pm
Say for example, during the periods of self sufficiency was being supported by UK resident husband/ partner who would give me cash. How would I be able to proof that?
I understand they have to write and sign a statement declaring this with details. I did that.

dogcat
United Kingdom

Post by dogcat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:30 pm
dogcat wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:05 pm
I understand they have to write and sign a statement declaring this with details. I did that.

Do you mind my asking but where did you get this information?

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Seen it on another page (shouldn’t mention names of other pages), but was a response from an immigration lawyer.
And on the top that’s the only thing can be done in some cases. And caseworkers could contact them or asked for more information. Just explain things why they are this way would be my suggestion.

dogcat
United Kingdom

Post by dogcat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:03 pm

Well, I was/am married to a person who is reasonably well off and wasn't claiming any benefits so case worker can do the maths and figure it out for themselves as money had to come from somewhere LOL :D

freddiekeller
England

Referee forms - how old?

Post by freddiekeller » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Dear all,

How old can referee forms be without becoming unacceptable?

I have been told the law says 6 months, but more than 3 months is frowned upon, by an immigration advisor I once consulted.

Thanks,

Freddie

freddiekeller
England

Re: Referee forms - how old?

Post by freddiekeller » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Bumping this thread for its last question

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Referee forms - how old?

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:38 pm

Can you post the link where the law says 6 months as you state??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.