ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILE/ILR Visit to country of birth

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Londoh
Newly Registered

ILE/ILR Visit to country of birth

Post by Londoh » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi
My wife was granted ILE in 08/2006 under the 4 year rule. I posted here then:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=8522
She entered the UK within a couple of weeks of the issue.

She returned to her country 2 weeks ago for a family wedding, intending to stay 3 weeks.

She would like to stay for a few weeks more, but her passport would expire before she returned. ILE expiry date is same as passport expiry date.

She can get a new passport issued in her own country, and as we understood it she can travel with her old passport with the ILE and a new one.

This web page seems to confirm that...
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukres ... opassport/

My wife contacted the British Embassy there to ask for confirmation. Very surprisingly they initially told her she must re-apply for ILE. We've both questioned this strongly, and they've now retracted that but told her she must apply for a Returning Resident Visa.

We're both employed and have been since we came back in 2006, haven't transgressed any laws or rules or done any bad things at all as far as I know.

Is a Returning Resident (or any) Visa necessary? Can anybody here offer opinion please.

thanks

l.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:22 am

20.1 - Those who qualify wrote:Prior entry clearance is not mandatory
Moreover,
Entry Clearance wrote:If a passenger is a returning resident who requires an endorsement in a new passport the Immigration Officer may only endorse that passport with an open date stamp on arrival. The passenger would then be required to apply for a UKRP or travel with their previous passport.
However, as there is an 'expiry date' on her ILE Entry clearance, she may have to persuade the airline that it's not applicable to returning residents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Londoh
Newly Registered

Post by Londoh » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi Vinny

thanks for reply

but after several more hours of reading loads of web pages it all seems sketchy and I'm still (even more?) confused!

From the first quote you gave - she qualifies on the 4 points, so prior entry clearance is not mandatory. So I assume this means she CAN travel with old and new passports.

And from the 2nd quote it seems that if she does this, she would be given an open (meaning No Time Limit) stamp in her new passport on arrival, but then have to apply for a UKRP after arrival. OR continue to travel with her old passport.

The first of those options says:
"The passenger would then be required to apply for a UKRP"
But isn't a UKRP the same as ILR? which is the same as ILE. And if so why does the returning passenger have to (re)apply for something they already have, and which is indefinte anyway! And would the new rules (KOL etc) apply to this application? wooo scary!

If she gets a stamp in her new passport, that passport will be valid for 5 years so if she's given a No Time Limit stamp, she'll then have to get another one after 5 years right? (Or naturalise, but anyway...)

And since the ILE is by definition Indefinite why didnt they just stamp the original ILE with 'No Time Limit" and save the merry-go-round

Unless of course by 'Indefinite' they mean
Vague or unclear. Undecided or uncertain.
And given she apparently can travel with both passports, why would she want to pay 205++ for a Returning Resident visa???

ah yes... because the airline staff might not understand! like me!

So what would (did) you do? Go for the RRV or chance it?

thanks

l.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:58 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.