ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PhD graduate - Which title to use? "Doctor" or "Mr"?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

qzlikedi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

When can I apply for BC? - Delayed arrival of BRP card

Post by qzlikedi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Hello,

I applied for my ILR on 18 December 2019. I received a letter dated 15 Jan 2019 stating that I should receive a new BRP card soon. I also received another letter (no date on the letter) stating that my application has been approved, but it also stated that "These notes are for information purposes only and do not convey the grant of ILR".

Since I did not receive my BRP card after 10 working days, I made a report online for a missing BRP. Despite doing this multiple times, it took four months until I received my BRP card. When my BRP arrived, it had the issue date of 08 Apr 2019.

FYI, I checked the right to work service online on 10 Feb 2019 which stated that there was no longer any limit on how long I can stay in the UK. So I know that I have been free of immigration time restrictions from at least 10 Feb.

My question is when do I qualify to apply for BC?

Is this 12 months from the issue date on my BRP card (08 Apr 2020) or can I apply any time after 15 January 2020 (12 months after the day dated on the letter that states I will receive a BRP card soon)?

Many thanks for your help.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: When can I apply for BC? - Delayed arrival of BRP card

Post by Djsuccess » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:34 pm

qzlikedi wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 pm
Hello,

I applied for my ILR on 18 December 2019. I received a letter dated 15 Jan 2019 stating that I should receive a new BRP card soon. I also received another letter (no date on the letter) stating that my application has been approved, but it also stated that "These notes are for information purposes only and do not convey the grant of ILR".

Since I did not receive my BRP card after 10 working days, I made a report online for a missing BRP. Despite doing this multiple times, it took four months until I received my BRP card. When my BRP arrived, it had the issue date of 08 Apr 2019.

FYI, I checked the right to work service online on 10 Feb 2019 which stated that there was no longer any limit on how long I can stay in the UK. So I know that I have been free of immigration time restrictions from at least 10 Feb.

My question is when do I qualify to apply for BC?

Is this 12 months from the issue date on my BRP card (08 Apr 2020) or can I apply any time after 15 January 2020 (12 months after the day dated on the letter that states I will receive a BRP card soon)?

Many thanks for your help.
It appears that your first ILR BRP was lost and another one issued in April. You can make SAR from the HO. Hopefuly it will show when your ILR was approved.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

qzlikedi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: When can I apply for BC? - Delayed arrival of BRP card

Post by qzlikedi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:19 pm

Thank you for your answer. The SAR process seems complicated and I wonder whether it is needed at this point.

I know that I have been free of immigration time restrictions from at least 10 Feb as I had checked the right to work service online on that day.

Would you advise that it would be okay for me to apply now?

qzlikedi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Title - Doctor or Mr?

Post by qzlikedi » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:59 pm

I have recently been awarded a PhD, so I can use the title doctor now. Should I use Doctor or Mr, in the online application? My passport does not contain an entry for the title, so I am not sure what to use.

secret.simon

Re: Title - Doctor or Mr?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Congratulations. If you are entitled to be addressed as "Dr." and if that is an option in the online form, I think you should use that option. But wait for others to advise further.

As for passports, also see Guidance on Titles in British Passports
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

qzlikedi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

PhD graduate - Which title to use? "Doctor" or "Mr"?

Post by qzlikedi » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Hello.

I am a PhD graduate. I am not sure if I should use "Doctor" or "Mr" in the online application?

Thank you for your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: PhD graduate - Which title to use? "Doctor" or "Mr"?

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:39 pm

Topics merged.

You received an answer inarch when you asked. The answer would remain the same.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

qzlikedi
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by qzlikedi » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi CR001,

I was told to wait for others to advise further.

Just to confirm, is it correct that you also think I should use "Doctor"?

Thank you very much.

BiochemFem
United Kingdom

Post by BiochemFem » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 pm

qzlikedi wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:48 pm
Hi CR001,

I was told to wait for others to advise further.

Just to confirm, is it correct that you also think I should use "Doctor"?

Thank you very much.
I did use ‘doctor’ in my visa application only because my CoS letter had the title, although my passport doesn’t. However realized since then after living several years in UK that many people frown upon us PhDs using that title (unfair right? 😁) as they always assume you’re a clinician if you use that title. So I don’t think it’s necessary but you can use ‘doctor’ if you want to.

jideare
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by jideare » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:44 pm

In my humble opinion (as non PhD), the Dr. title is another thing that will be scrutinised.

Why don't you apply with whatever tile is on the majority of your documents... that way everything is aligned.

And if that's a Mr. then so be it. Once you've been approved and Granted, changing your title will be an administrative task later and not a cause for contention as it would be during the application process.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:15 pm

I don't think anybody cares about the title. As long asyou are entitled (make sure to check university rules), then no problem. But you can't have Dr in the passport unless you are a medical doctor.

As for the frowning I never understood why a physician calls themselves a doctor without a Doctorate degree.