ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Both NON EAA nationals

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Adam_L
Newly Registered

Both NON EAA nationals

Post by Adam_L » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Hello, my wife and I are both NON EAA nationals (Croatian), and so is our 2,5 year old girl. We've been married for 3 years. I have recieved a work permit for the period of 2 years, and when we arrived to Immigration at the Dublin Airport, the lady gave us a one month stay in Ireland. After she left, I asked another man, doing the same work as she is, if we're going to have problems staying in Ireland, and he said that if we bring my work permit and some other papers, we would not have problems staying in the country longer. However, the Irish Immigration laws say that since I have a work permit, and not the Green card, they won't be able to live with me before I've worked in Ireland for a year. Since we will not be going to the Immigration for another ten or so days, until we get everything ready, any advice on how to persuade them to let my family stay with me would be very appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Ireland is not the kindest nation when it comes to immigration. There will be no persuading, and if you try, well, I don't see them liking it very much. I have never heard of them making an exception to the law. The only time you might be able to persuade them is when the decision is completely at the discretion of the officer; however, in your case, it is not.

With a work permit and no green card, I highly doubt you family will be able to stay with you. They could possibly get a 2 month extension and remain as visitors for the entire 90 day period allowed, but they will have to leave after that. While they could try to leave and re-enter as a visitor for another 90 days, since there is no law against it, most officers won't allow it.

Best of luck.

ginger4pluck
Newly Registered

Post by ginger4pluck » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Unbelievable! :shock:

:idea: Well... your wife could join a full time English course or any other full time course, which would give her a student visa. This visa allows her to remain in Ireland with you for the period of the course and will give her the right to work in a part time basis job.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:09 pm

Maybe you could drop into the immigrant council (www.immigrantcouncil.ie) and see what their take on the situation is as well, as it's obviously of great concern to you. They may provide other options if there are any problems with your family staying on with you on a work permit, like, as was mentioned, staying on as a student (although soon even they will need a work permit to be able to work).

All the best.

Adam_L
Newly Registered

Post by Adam_L » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:40 pm

The situation is funny as it is tragic, since I don't really understand how being away from my family, especially my little girl, would make me a good worker.

The green card application made in my name by my company (Paddy Power) was rejected because the position I was nominated for is not the kind the Green cards are awarded for, but then again, I've gotten the job on the basis there's no adequate workers in that sector in Ireland, or the UK at all. I realize the law is the way it is, and why it is that way, but I do believe exceptions should be made, especially when I do not wish to work for any other company and if I lose my job, I would leave the country on my own, and my wife is not here to take employment from anyone.

We'll see how it goes, big thanks to everyone, I hope we can do something, since would really miss them, and I think everybody knows how it feels not to have your child beside You.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:07 pm

Does it actually make a difference whether or not you need an entrance visa to get into Ireland as to whether your family can stay with you in your first year of a work permit?
I'm not sure, but I thought that it was far easier for non-visa required nationals to be immediately reunited with their families?

can anyone confirm/deny this is the case?

Adam_L
Newly Registered

Post by Adam_L » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:16 pm

I don't know if that's the case, but as Croatian citizens we don't need an entry Visa.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:21 pm

Adam_L wrote:The situation is funny as it is tragic, since I don't really understand how being away from my family, especially my little girl, would make me a good worker.

The green card application made in my name by my company (Paddy Power) was rejected because the position I was nominated for is not the kind the Green cards are awarded for, but then again, I've gotten the job on the basis there's no adequate workers in that sector in Ireland, or the UK at all. I realize the law is the way it is, and why it is that way, but I do believe exceptions should be made, especially when I do not wish to work for any other company and if I lose my job, I would leave the country on my own, and my wife is not here to take employment from anyone.

We'll see how it goes, big thanks to everyone, I hope we can do something, since would really miss them, and I think everybody knows how it feels not to have your child beside You.
ok, like the above post mentioned, go check with the immigrant council. see what they say.

according for what they published in the inis, your spouse can apply for permission to live in ireland after you worked as a work permit holder after 1 year in ireland. take a look at the following link:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000160

the worst case scenario, your wife just have to leave the country every three months as visitor.

now here is what i have been telling people, there is another way to do it but dont tell the gnib i said this!!!!

your wife prolly will be giving a visitor stamp when she came in with you. just go to the gnib before her stamp expire and explain to the gnib and ask them if she can jsut extend the visitor permission to remain in dublin instead of fly back to croatia again. it is up to them to say yes or no. the worst case scenario is she just have to leave the country and fly back in. thats all. you are holding croatian passport. you dont need a visitor visa to come to ireland anyway. plus, the rumor was saying that croatia is joining eu in 2009. rumor usually is true. the immigration in ireland would know about all this. they will go easy on you since you have a croatian passport. why did you think the irish government cancelled the visa requirement for croatian national but not for the serbian or albanian? does it tell you something. so just dont panic and go check out your options!!!

good luck

Adam_L
Newly Registered

Post by Adam_L » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Wow, thx mktsoi, that was a great reply, really made my wife feel better. We'll give it our best shot, and yes, Croatia should be joining EU in 2010 at the latest, so it all depends how we present ourselves and if the officer at the GNIB will have understanding for the situation.

ves
Newly Registered

Post by ves » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:11 pm

bok adame!
am from croatia as well.and i think you shouldnt have problem to sort out your family's permition to stay.am not sure if they might need go back to croatia for a short while and wait there for the decision. you might need to apply in the irish ambassy in zagreb. but the best way is to go to immigration and see what they will tell you.anyway,it can happen that you get different versions from different people working there.irish immigration council is very helpfull as well.
anyway hope you will sort things out soon..good luck

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:14 pm

ves wrote:anyway,it can happen that you get different versions from different people working there.irish immigration council is very helpfull as well.
anyway hope you will sort things out soon..good luck
This is very true. Some people know more than others, and in some cases, since quite a bit is left to the sole discretion of the immigration officer, a persons mood can depend on the outcome.

I would suggest that any info you get that you make sure to get it in writing, especially if you have to leave and come back. I learned this the hard way. A lot of the immigration officers don't have a clue about certain things.

Just cover every ground possible and always try to collect paperwork that will help.

Best of luck!