ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When should I submit the application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Employee of Company B and Director of Company A

Post by wegetthejobdone » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:43 pm

I am in the process of completing the online application and I'm a bit stuck at the employment details stage.

I started a contract of employment with Company B a few months ago.

I am also a director of limited Company A (unrelated to Company B). My P45 with Company A says that the employment terminated the day before I started my employment with Company B. I am still a director of Company A, but currently not drawing any salary.

How should I approach the employment section? If I enter the details of employment with Company B, when I move onto providing the remaining employment history, should I provide an end date for Company A as per my P45? Do I need to specify anywhere that I am still a director?

jideare
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Re: Employee of Company B and Director of Company A

Post by jideare » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Very similar situation as mine.

And my approach for you is to put down details of Company B.

Along with your "remaining/further employment history" Details Company A and specify you're a company director from date DD/MM/YYYY to Date. Also include an incorporation certificate and last company accounts.
If company is Dormant, include evidence.

I did this and got my application accepted. Best of Luck

jideare
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Re: Employee of Company B and Director of Company A

Post by jideare » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Very similar situation as mine.

And my approach for you is to put down details of Company B.

Along with your "remaining/further employment history" Details Company A and specify you're a company director from date DD/MM/YYYY to Date. Also include an incorporation certificate and last company accounts.
If company is Dormant, include evidence.

I did this and got my application accepted. Best of Luck

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Supporting documentation for naturalisation with Settled Status

Post by wegetthejobdone » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi all. I read several threads, but I'm still unclear on a few things, so I thought I'd double check everything. I hope that's ok!

I'm a EEA citizen and I received my settled status over 12 months ago.

These are the checkboxes appearing towards the end of the online application process. Could you confirm if I am making the correct assumptions and help me with my questions please?

-> The passport issued by your EEA country for Mr wegetthejobdone
I don't need to send the physical copy to them. I will upload a copy.

-> Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated person
My qualifying period is 5 years. I have been a company director for the whole duration of the qualifying period. I stopped drawing a salary from my ltd in April and I started a permanent position.
I am really confused as to what evidence I should provide here.

-> If you spent some of that time in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, and had comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), a copy of your sickness insurance policy
Does not apply

-> Mr wegetthejobdone's proof of Nationality
You must include your:
- passport or EEA national identity card
- UK permanent residence card
- evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions
You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card.
As I have settled status, I can't get a PRC, so I can just add a note explaining that and perhaps attach my settled status confirmation letter.

-> Mr wegetthejobdone's certificate proving you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher
A scanned copy of my GESE certificate

-> Proof of living in the UK for Mr wegetthejobdone for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
- If you are not married, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen, you must have been in the UK for the past 5 years.
- If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period.
- If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.
Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK.
What about here? I haven't had any employer except for the limited company I am a director of for most of the 5 years. What can I produce?

-> Two referee declarations for Mr wegetthejobdone
This requires printing out a form to which I will attach a photo and the referees need to physically sign it. Is that correct?

I can't find any reference in the application form, but elsewhere I've found that "On the day when the application reaches the Home Office you must have been present in the UK five years previously (i.e. you must look at the date 5 years prior to submitting your application and check you weren’t outside the UK)". For any online application, what's the day when the application reaches the Home Office?

Finally, what happens next?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Supporting documentation for naturalisation with Settled Status

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:00 pm

wegetthejobdone wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm
[....]
-> The passport issued by your EEA country for Mr wegetthejobdone
I don't need to send the physical copy to them. I will upload a copy. ok

-> Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated person
My qualifying period is 5 years. I have been a company director for the whole duration of the qualifying period. I stopped drawing a salary from my ltd in April and I started a permanent position.
I am really confused as to what evidence I should provide here.
Asyou were self-employed copies of yoru self-assessment returns - for emplyment it's P60s

-> If you spent some of that time in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, and had comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), a copy of your sickness insurance policy
Does not applyok

-> Mr wegetthejobdone's proof of Nationality
You must include your:
- passport or EEA national identity card
- UK permanent residence card
- evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions
You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card.
As I have settled status, I can't get a PRC, so I can just add a note explaining that and perhaps attach my settled status confirmation letter. Attach Settled Status confirmation with ref number.

-> Mr wegetthejobdone's certificate proving you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher
A scanned copy of my GESE certificateok

-> Proof of living in the UK for Mr Antonello Caboni for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
- If you are not married, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen, you must have been in the UK for the past 5 years.
- If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period.
- If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.
Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK.
What about here? I haven't had any employer except for the limited company I am a director of for most of the 5 years. What can I produce? as above - your self-ssessment returns.

-> Two referee declarations for Mr wegetthejobdone
This requires printing out a form to which I will attach a photo and the referees need to physically sign it. Is that correct? Yes

I can't find any reference in the application form, but elsewhere I've found that "On the day when the application reaches the Home Office you must have been present in the UK five years previously (i.e. you must look at the date 5 years prior to submitting your application and check you weren’t outside the UK)". For any online application, what's the day when the application reaches the Home Office? Date of application is the day you submit/pay online.

Finally, what happens next? You will be booking your biometrics online and UKVI should send a confirmation email
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:05 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:00 pm
Asyou were self-employed copies of yoru self-assessment returns - for emplyment it's P60s
Thank you alterhase58!

One of things I have read in other threads is that directors of limited company are not considered self employed and hence they should not provide a self-assessment. Did I get it wrong?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:10 pm

Not aware of that advice - as company directors mainly don't get paid through PAYE (P60), which ensures automatic NI contributions, it would be your self-assessment returns or company accounts whichever you submit to HMRC.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:38 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:10 pm
Not aware of that advice - as company directors mainly don't get paid through PAYE (P60), which ensures automatic NI contributions, it would be your self-assessment returns or company accounts whichever you submit to HMRC.
Thank you. I was paid through PAYE, so I have all P60 from 2016 onwards. I obviously also submitted self-assessments and company accounts.

I guess I could provide everything I have? Is there such a thing as over-providing (combination of P60s, payslips, confirmation of self-assessment and company accounts submissions)?

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:42 pm

By the way, this is the thread where a differentiation is made between self employed and company directors: https://www.immigrationboards.com/briti ... 75838.html

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:29 pm

wegetthejobdone wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:38 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:10 pm
Thank you. I was paid through PAYE, so I have all P60 from 2016 onwards. I obviously also submitted self-assessments and company accounts.

I guess I could provide everything I have? Is there such a thing as over-providing (combination of P60s, payslips, confirmation of self-assessment and company accounts submissions)?
P60 are fine per year (they are just a summary of your payslips) plus self-assessment accounts should be fine - it's not a "deal breaker" - if UKVI wish to see more information they'll ask for it - also they have access to HMRC data. Generally the requirements are quite straightforward and don't require lots of documents (unless the case is difficult perhaps).

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Once more, thank you very much for your help.

With regards to self assessment and company tax, what exactly would I need to produce? Is it some kind of report that my accountant can produce for me?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:26 pm

It should be something of the shelve - I'm only aware that the self assessment account being used, that is relating to personal income, rather than the company accounts. But if you have P60s that should be sufficient.

ashd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ashd » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:33 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
As I have settled status, I can't get a PRC, so I can just add a note explaining that and perhaps attach my settled status confirmation letter. Attach Settled Status confirmation with ref number.
I am struggling with this point as well, I have settled status as well,
I was about to submit my application online when I saw in the list of documents that : You must include your:
UK permanent residence card
is there any reference that says that you cannot get PRC if you have settled status ?

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:34 pm

ashd wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:33 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
I am struggling with this point as well, I have settled status as well,
I was about to submit my application online when I saw in the list of documents that : You must include your:
UK permanent residence card
is there any reference that says that you cannot get PRC if you have settled status ?
I called HMRC today and they have confirmed that providing a copy of the email/letter is enough.

ashd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ashd » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:52 pm

good to know, thank you for the info and good luck

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:59 pm

Probably a silly question, but... I have P60s for (tax year to April) 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.These should cover all the 5 years, is that right? After all 2016 means from April 2015 to April 2016.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:17 pm

Correct - it's just the tax year out of sync with calendar year.

wegetthejobdone
Italy

When should I submit the application?

Post by wegetthejobdone » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:47 am

My online application is ready to be submitted.

I have all the supporting documentation I need, but I still need to get the two reference forms signed. I am waiting for some passport photos to be delivered.

I will probably be out of the country for 3 weeks from the beginning of August. So, realistically, I may not be able to get the references ready before I go away.

I seem to understand that once you've submitted you have a short amount of time to get your biometrics data taken. At the same time I appreciate that appointments are scarce.

What is the best strategy as to when to submit?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: When should I submit the application?

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 am

wegetthejobdone wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:47 am
My online application is ready to be submitted.

I have all the supporting documentation I need, but I still need to get the two reference forms signed. I am waiting for some passport photos to be delivered.

I will probably be out of the country for 3 weeks from the beginning of August. So, realistically, I may not be able to get the references ready before I go away.

I seem to understand that once you've submitted you have a short amount of time to get your biometrics data taken. At the same time I appreciate that appointments are scarce.

What is the best strategy as to when to submit?
UKVI has a new policy now where they identify SOME applicants where they do NOT have to attend UKVCAS for biometrics and can reuse their previous biometrics.

Having said that, even if you are chosen to attend biometrics, you have to book an appointment within 2 months but current situation may delay it further.

Make sure, you fulfil all the requirements on the day you pay and submit as that is the date of application. I would not worry about biometrics even if you have to travel for 3 weeks after submission.
Last edited by CULLINAN on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:56 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 am

UKVI has a new policy now where the identity SOME applicants where they do NOT have to attend UKVCAS for biometrics and can reuse their previous biometrics.

Having said that, even if you are chosen to attend biometrics, you have to book an appointment within 2 months but current situation may delay it further.

Make sure, you fulfil all the requirements on the day you pay and submit as that is the date of application. I would not worry about biometrics even if you have to travel for 3 weeks.
Thank you! I don't think the home office would have any biometrics for me though, as I've never given them before.

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:31 pm

By the way, are you suggesting that I wait until I have the physical reference forms completed and scanned before I apply?

It’s unclear to me at which stage I’m asked to upload the documentation.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:51 pm

wegetthejobdone wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:31 pm
By the way, are you suggesting that I wait until I have the physical reference forms completed and scanned before I apply?

It’s unclear to me at which stage I’m asked to upload the documentation.
You apply online first and then you are rerouted to UKVCAS website to create an account. You upload your documents and book an appointment via that.
It really does not matter what date your referee signs the forms. If you upload the forms before submitting your biometrics its fine.
You have to upload your documents before your biometrics appointment.

Note: You have to provide all the details regarding referee 1 and referee 2 in the online form BEFORE you pay and submit anyways.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:57 pm

The above is the usual process. The change is:

You can upload your documents and then the UKVCAS system gives you an option to submit it to UKVI also. So you might as well complete your documents, upload and submit. You then can book your appointment when you are given a chance as appointments are opening in phases. You can book that up to 2 months in normal circumstances.

wegetthejobdone
Italy

Post by wegetthejobdone » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:08 pm

Ok - I am confused now. I've submitted the application just now.

The UKVCAS website says:
Please note if you are applying as a third country national as part of the EU Settlement Scheme, you must upload all of your supporting documents on the UKVI online application system and not on the UKVCAS website.
However, I don't see any option to upload the supporting documents on the UKVI website. What am I missing?

dogcat
United Kingdom

Post by dogcat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:42 pm

'Third country' means non EU citizen.