ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rozearo

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by rozearo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:27 am

standrews wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:03 pm

I know some people got the invitation letter just in past couple of days and booked the ceremony, so in short HO already started sending invitations too along sending certificates to the councils.
Would you mind giving more details such as when those people get approved? Has it been before the look down?

When the invitation letter was received?

Have they received email confirmation before receiving the invitations?

voiceofthepurple
United Kingdom

Post by voiceofthepurple » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:29 am

Just a heads up for everyone. My council (in London) just sent me a ceremony invitation for this coming week without the option of choosing when to attend the ceremony.

standrews
United Kingdom

Post by standrews » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:30 pm

rozearo wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:27 am
standrews wrote:

I know some people got the invitation letter just in past couple of days and booked the ceremony, so in short HO already started sending invitations too along sending certificates to the councils.
Would you mind giving more details such as when those people get approved? Has it been before the look down?

As I mentioned the person I know got approval in june by email and just got invitation letter, so he booked the ceremony. Took 6 months to from application to decision email.

Learning18
United Kingdom

Post by Learning18 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:51 pm

standrews wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:30 pm
rozearo wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:27 am
standrews wrote:

As I mentioned the person I know got approval in june by email and just got invitation letter, so he booked the ceremony. Took 6 months to from application to decision email.

Hi,

Do you mind me asking what council that is with?

I got my approval on the 3rd of June and I am still waiting for the invitation letter. I assumed the first batch that was sent out to the councils was for those approvals in late March and early April. I am assuming that if your friend got the invitation letter that means the Home Office are sending out certificates for June approvals as well.

Humble123
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Humble123 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:10 pm

voiceofthepurple wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:29 am
Just a heads up for everyone. My council (in London) just sent me a ceremony invitation for this coming week without the option of choosing when to attend the ceremony.
Congratulations

When did you receive your approval from home office and is it by post or email please ??

voiceofthepurple
United Kingdom

Post by voiceofthepurple » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Humble123 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:10 pm
voiceofthepurple wrote:
Congratulations

When did you receive your approval from home office and is it by post or email please ??
I emailed in June requesting an update and got a reply with approval attached.

Humble123
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Humble123 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:21 pm

voiceofthepurple wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:16 pm
Humble123 wrote:
voiceofthepurple wrote:
Congratulations

That means we are not gonna receive invitation from HO, probably they asked councils to write and invite us for ceremonies instead.

Thanks for the update and congrats once again.

voiceofthepurple
United Kingdom

Post by voiceofthepurple » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Humble123 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:21 pm
voiceofthepurple wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:16 pm
Humble123 wrote:
voiceofthepurple wrote:
Congratulations

That means we are not gonna receive invitation from HO, probably they asked councils to write and invite us for ceremonies instead.

Thanks for the update and congrats once again.
I never received an invitation letter from HO, just the approval via email when I requested an update, so I think you are right. Councils could be tasked with figuring out how to manage ceremonies, so best to contact them should one receive a letter. It is good that things have started up again and that they are doing their best under the circumstances. The confusing thing is that the council letter still indicates that I should take an invitation letter (which I don't have). I will contact my council for more information.

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:59 pm

I discussed this with my Council. You have to receive a separate invitation letter from the Home Office to attend the ceremony, it cannot be sent by the Council.

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 pm

voiceofthepurple wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:00 pm

I never received an invitation letter from HO, just the approval via email when I requested an update, so I think you are right. Councils could be tasked with figuring out how to manage ceremonies, so best to contact them should one receive a letter. It is good that things have started up again and that they are doing their best under the circumstances. The confusing thing is that the council letter still indicates that I should take an invitation letter (which I don't have). I will contact my council for more information.
Just be careful as I had similar situation last week when I emailed my council who phoned me after to book me a Private ceremony.

After booking the ceremony, I found by chance that I am the wrong person. They thought that I am a different one who had same first name and Last name but different middle names (He was approved before the look down).

So my advice to you to call your council again and make sure they had received your certificate. Give them you full details.

voiceofthepurple
United Kingdom

Post by voiceofthepurple » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:20 pm

Lopand wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:59 pm
I discussed this with my Council. You have to receive a separate invitation letter from the Home Office to attend the ceremony, it cannot be sent by the Council.
Yep, that's what I expected and will contact them.

voiceofthepurple
United Kingdom

Post by voiceofthepurple » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:21 pm

rozearo wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 pm
voiceofthepurple wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Just be careful as I had similar situation last week when I emailed my council who phoned me after to book me a Private ceremony.

After booking the ceremony, I found by chance that I am the wrong person. They thought that I am a different one who had same first name and Last name but different middle names (He was approved before the look down).

So my advice to you to call your council again and make sure they had received your certificate. Give them you full details.
I will definitely call them, however, my name is unique so possibly a different issue here. I will add that my application reference number was correct on their letter.

Doc2020
Egypt

Post by Doc2020 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:04 am

This is what I received in email today:

Re: Request for duplicate copy of citizenship ceremony invitation.

I refer to your application for British Citizenship and your email enquiry. Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

In normal circumstances customers were required to book their citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months. We will keep this under constant review. Please be assured that no adverse decisions will be made on your application because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence).

Small
United Kingdom

Post by Small » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 am

My friend called for his cermony at council. His decision was approved in mid July, after 6 months.He has been told to receive another letter from HO.
His English is not good. He is asking if he can change his place of cermony? Is it possible if he can choose another council across UK please

Sohail222
Pakistan

Post by Sohail222 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:48 am

So your friend application approved after 6 months has he asked home office about update during his application or he just wait for his approval am asking this because my wife still waiting it’s 5 months now still waiting it’s gonna be 6 months in August 27 2020 ?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:02 am

Small wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 am
He is asking if he can change his place of cermony? Is it possible if he can choose another council across UK please
He can ask for the place of ceremony to be changed, but that may in fact delay his getting the certificate. If the certificate has already been sent to the council, it will need to be recalled by the Home Office and then sent to the new council. The whole process may add weeks to your friend getting the certificate.

Best to wait. All good things come to he who waits.

As an aside, be aware that there is a massive backlog at the Passport Office as well. So there will be a long wait for that as well.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Jayrose17
South Africa

Post by Jayrose17 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:40 am

As far as I have read there is no massive backlog on passports. Just hearsay. Also if you travelling they will get you a new one in a week. Google it.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Jayrose17 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:40 am
Also if you travelling they will get you a new one in a week. Google it.
If you are renewing an existing British passport. I'm not sure that applies to first adult British passports.
GOVERNMENT TO FAST-TRACK PASSPORT RENEWALS TO SAVE PEOPLE’S HOLIDAYS

The government has pledged to fast-track passport applications to save the holidays of potentially millions of Britons this summer.

Renewals will be guaranteed within within five working days – but only if travellers can prove they applied a month ago and need to go abroad within the next fortnight.

Two million passports are believed to have expired during lockdown and there are waits of 10 weeks or more for renewals.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

AC12
Mood:
India

Post by AC12 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd let you all know that my council has received my certificate this morning. They said the HO sends out the certificates to them via special delivery and the invitation letter posted out to me normally follows in 7-10 working days time. Don't ask me why, haha !!

Timeline wise, I applied in Feb, got an email in April saying my application was approved on March 9th and invite would follow in 4 weeks time, but that obviously never happened.

I shall confirm when I have the invitation letter with me.

Good luck all.

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm

AC12 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:25 pm
Hi all,

Thought I'd let you all know that my council has received my certificate this morning. They said the HO sends out the certificates to them via special delivery and the invitation letter posted out to me normally follows in 7-10 working days time. Don't ask me why, haha !!

Timeline wise, I applied in Feb, got an email in April saying my application was approved on March 9th and invite would follow in 4 weeks time, but that obviously never happened.

Good luck all.
That's great, congratulations! May I please ask which council is it?

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 pm

AC12 wrote:
Hi all,

Good luck all.
Oh thats so great congratulations! I recall you and I had the same approval date of 9 March. Please do let me know when you receive your invitation letter. The wait os almost over for you!

AC12
Mood:
India

Post by AC12 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Oh yes I remember you too! I suggest you check with your council again tomorrow/Wednesday - I'm sure yours is on its way too. And yes, I shall deffo confirm once I receive the invite!

Thanks
Moa7 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 pm
AC12 wrote:
Hi all,

Good luck all.
Oh thats so great congratulations! I recall you and I had the same approval date of 9 March. Please do let me know when you receive your invitation letter. The wait os almost over for you!

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:32 pm

AC12 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:14 pm
Oh yes I remember you too! I suggest you check with your council again tomorrow/Wednesday - I'm sure yours is on its way too. And yes, I shall deffo confirm once I receive the invite!

Thanks
Moa7 wrote:
AC12 wrote:
Hi all,

Good luck all.
I've just rang my council and they confirmed they've received my certificate too! They said they're doing ceremonies virtually so they'll call me formally next week to book me into a ceremony

AC12
Mood:
India

Post by AC12 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Told you so !!!

Partayyyy!!!
Moa7 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:32 pm
AC12 wrote:

Thanks
Moa7 wrote:
AC12 wrote:
Hi all,

Good luck all.
I've just rang my council and they confirmed they've received my certificate too! They said they're doing ceremonies virtually so they'll call me formally next week to book me into a ceremony

gofornaturalisation
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gofornaturalisation » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Moa7 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:32 pm
AC12 wrote:

Thanks
Moa7 wrote:
AC12 wrote:
Hi all,

Good luck all.
Hi there,

Mind if I ask which council is doing your ceremony virtually? I didn't realise this was a thing!!