ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nationality Details on British Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Martincala
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Nationality Details on British Citizenship Application

Post by Martincala » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi folks,

I am filling my online British Citizenship application, There is a part about Nationality details, Country of nationality.
My question is, I am a refugee in the UK and I came from Iran, on my Residence Permit (ILR biometric card) states my nationality as IRN, do I have to put Iranian or refugee on the citizenship online application? (I am not holding any Iranian passport, travel document or ID).

Your response would be highly appreciated, thank you.

Kind Regards,
M.C.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Nationality Details on British Citizenship Application

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm

Your nationality is Iranian. "Refugee" is not a nationality.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Martincala
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Martincala » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am

Thank you for taking time to respond. But in the field of Nationality details, Refugee - Convention1951 and Refugee - other are available. What's the point of that?

pimlicollb31
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by pimlicollb31 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:36 pm

Martincala wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am
Thank you for taking time to respond. But in the field of Nationality details, Refugee - Convention1951 and Refugee - other are available. What's the point of that?
‘Refugee’ is a status under international law, not a ‘nationality. Your nationality is where your parents are from normally, Iran.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:47 pm

Martincala wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:44 pm
Hi folks,

I am filling my online British Citizenship application, There is a part about Nationality details, Country of nationality.
My question is, I am a refugee in the UK and I came from Iran, on my Residence Permit (ILR biometric card) states my nationality as IRN, do I have to put Iranian or refugee on the citizenship online application? (I am not holding any Iranian passport, travel document or ID).

Your response would be highly appreciated, thank you.

Kind Regards,
M.C.
I had the same confusion when we filled AN application for my wife who applied via refugee route.

The thing that caused me confusion was: if I selected “Pakistani“ as a nationality, the documents checklist asked for her Pakistani passport which she did not have, as it was already with HO.

If I selected refugee, the checklist asked for the Refugee Convention travel document which she had so I thought that is the correct way to do it.

We ended up selecting “Refugee” as nationality and her application was approved.

P.S the UKVCAS staff left a note that the correct nationality is Pakistani.

However, I would say we did NOT do the right thing. The correct way is to choose your nationality as “home country” and even if the checklist asks for your passport, your ILR BRP is enough at UKVCAS appointment since you are a refugee.

Many people I know, who applied after my wife, I suggested everyone to choose home country nationality and everyone was approved.

You will choose “Iran” as suggested by CR001 and previous member.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.